Pumping a lot of oil out of the breather GPX165

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tormentandglory

Reaction score
Has anybody had trouble with their yx/gpx150 pumping oil out of the breather? Mine is spewing out lots. I thought it was because I'd over filled it but now the oil is quite low and its still pumping it out real bad.

It's got a TB V2 165 kit on it and its only been run for about 45mins at the most. The bottom end was brand new.

I've got it in my z50j and it does more than 120km/h with a slipping clutch. The clutch suicided about 2 minutes after starting it. Pulling my tubby butt around proved a bit much for it hehehehe.

I have had some trouble with my YX150 Spitting oil out every now and then but more than likely it was too much oil, but surprisingly the other day when i went for a ride it was puking out oil pretty bad and overheating so I gotta look into fixing that but... meh

Who knows I might have the same problem as you :confused:

Its a pretty big engine. Maybe the 165 kit badly overwhelms the breather system. I'll try putting a catch tank on it. Akunar has some going silly cheap at the moment and I need to get some clutch goodies of him to.

man i wouldnt even bother buyin one of these engines no more ive heard so much crap about the oil related problems with them

like others have mentioned it has more than likely been over filled.i have a lifan 150 and everything ive read said 900mls of oil however 600mls is all it takes to read full on the site glass

yeah thats what ive heard then it screws up the rings or sumthin. man thats weird but does it say its full on the dip stick aswell??

there was some fix to that on planet minis !! I will try to find it... give Cactus a ring, maybe he saved that info!!

when you put the new top end on it did you put the allocators pins back on in between the head and the bore as you might have to much oil flow in the oil galleries and that could be your problem

Talk about Dejavu ... :p I had a geek on PM to see if I could find the post that the mountain was referring to and found this ...

Pumping a lot of oil out of the breather GPX165 - Planet Minis

I had already typed out a long winded reply but our computer messed up just as I was about to post it ... I can get on here no probs from internet explorer but I keep getting cut off when using Mozilla Firefox ... The only trouble with that is IE is dog assed slow on other sites and stuffs up on hotmail (freezes and won't open emails) whereas Firefox is faster on all other sites and hotmail works spot on with it ...

Here's what I was going to post ... the yanks have already said some of the same things ... Man it took a bit of friggin' around to retrieve this info out of hotmail ... IExplorer sucks ass ...

MR WINDAGE POST ...‏
Sent: Monday, 17 November 2008 4:55:42 AM
To: Cactus Jack ([email protected])

It's to be expected and is caused by windage ... which any laid over cylinder would suffer from ... Basically , if you were going to build a racing engine from scratch , you'd use a vertical cylinder to get the piston up high so that it doesn't lose power due to having to push oil out of the way all the time ... Obviously the oil gets tornadoed around too much in the crank case so oil mist gets blown out thru the breather ... especially under heavy braking ... For TRUE racing engines the builders go one step further and go to a dry sump oiling system with a supply and scavenging pump where the oil is kept in either an external tank or inside the frame tube to get around all of the problems of windage , roping , and oil control ... Where a dry sump system can't be used , the sump/oil pan is deepened to get the oil level as far away from the spinning crank as possible and crank scrapers and louvred baffles are fitted on the upwards rotating side ... the crank and rod are also "knife edged" to reduce their fanning effect ... Chev engines are known to pick up 50 HP just from windage control ... Honda obviously went to a vertical cylinder to get more power out of the same 72 cc and avoid the oil spewing problems when they stepped up from the horizontal cylindered SL70's (72 cc) to the vertical cylindered XR75's (72 c) ... Verticals have zero OIL loss problems using only the stock breather at the rear .. no matter how big they're bored or how hard they're revved ... even when wheel standing ... The chinese have copied everything with their horizontals ... including the faults ... :p

You'll need to add as many breathers as you can to reduce crank case pressure ... a catch tank on the rear breather , a dipstick breather , and a top valve cover breather and hoses routed up high ...

Another factor you could be encountering is blowby past the rings ... It's doubtful that they'd be seated and sealing as good as possible after only 45 minutes from new ... There's no way you should be caning the engine yet unless you've used moly rings , had the cylinder precision torque plate honed and the piston to bore clearance increased to compensate ... YOU should already know all this dude ...

I've just had a look at my YX150 and there is f'ck all oil depth below the crank counterweight line ... no wonder they eject their oil ... IF the cases were deeper it wouldn't happen ...

Last edited:
I've never had much sympathy for my engines. I give them a gentle run for about 15 or 20 minutes, but after that I give them a bit of a rev. Not extended full throttle revs, but I don't baby them. I've never worn an engine out, I usually get bored real quick and build something else. This is the first time I've had an oil problem like this one though, and I've been playing with these horizontal motors for more than 10 years. And I did get the cylinder re-honed, the TB.com cylinder was disgusting! Looked like it had been honed by a trained monkey.

Problem solved :) An extra breather outlet on the head and a large akunar high performance breather tank has made everything nice and happy.

Latest posts

Back