Racing newbie

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sirde

Reaction score
I want to start racing i almost went and got my new bike last weekend but decided to hold off til i went and saw the Dirtmax Cup on the weekend. Rain postponed the race, so my questions are still un answered..
I had a little chat to sumone last week and without him knowing it he almost talked me out of getting a Motovert expert 140cc or a Pitster Pro LXR..
Want i'd like to find out what are the requirements for the classes ie (12" amateur) do i need to spend a fair bit on the engine to keep up with the leaders or will a fairly stock Motovert expert 140cc or a Pitster Pro LXR do the job.
In the mean time im currently riding a Thumpsta 110cc 10" hub rear back end.
Can I race that in (10" open) in the mean time till i work out whats the best option..
What requmendations mods i should do so that'll make my thumpsta (more competitive) on the race track..

Last edited:
what class would be the best to start off in?
50cc, 88 limited, 10' open or 12' amateur?
I really have no idea about these classes or the requirments. I use to race BMX for 8ish years understand the racing format just unsure witch bike and class would suit me the best. I heard you need a 8-10k bike to be up the front in the 12" pro for instants??? is the TRUE? please help before i buy sumthing which will be unless..

I raced 12" am on my old klx110 , with a 143 ..

it was to slow to keep up the front not to mention the suspension..
150-160 would be enough to be up front for the smaller tracks.

your first time racing , dont even think about 12" pro , they are Fast! and they all dont have 8-10k bikes , it can be done with a 3-4k bike.

Its mostly the rider!

Its all about the fun , who cares if your bike isnt up to par with the best . just have fun racing

Its all about the fun , who cares if your bike isnt up to par with the best . just have fun racing...

Perfect answer.....

I do wanna be competive don't care about placing just yet but wanna be competive...

Is 10" open on a 110 ok as a starting platform or even do able???

I would say 10" open is a pretty hard class from watching them ..and a stock china 110 wouldnt be to competitive

12" am is the only Am class , so probably be the easiest to get into . still pretty hard to win that for a average rider tho.

dam straight, im thinking of starting next year when i get my p's

the LXR has the 155. i think the only thing you need now is the ability to ride it.

Not saying you cant ride.

if the class's are the same as the HRI series then theres a 12' china class as well...only down fall is theres no restrictions except it must run a 12' rear

buy the LXR 160 and give it a go...and you can always nominate a couple of class's on the same day which will help work out wat suites you more

regulations can be found here for dirtmax cup http://www.miniriders.com.au/attach...2009-2009-dirt-max-regulations-october-09.pdf

Good to hear mate!

This is what I was thinking a while back about buying my 1st real Mini :)

I ended up buying a Honda CRF50 88Limited after not being able to decide for about 4 moths even longer?haha.

I took it to my 1st Race which was at Kurri Kurri in July this year and had a heaps good time! Even though I went the worst possible haha it was still heaps fun!

I think your 110 Thumpstar wouldnt be very competitive in the 10" Class as most of the guys in that class are running more powerful CRF106 to 124s...plus a few are on the PitsterPro 10" 150/160s which I dont think seems very fair.

Stock class seems real fun and would be the cheapest way to get into racing! Plus it always looks like the funnest class to race in...except for when you have plain old Cheaters!

12"AM wouldnt be a too bad of a class to start off with...but depending on you whether you feel more comfortable and able to ride faster on a Mini/10" or a Midsized/12"???

Yeah 12"Pro are hell fast haha...you would want to be running in like the top 5? in 12"AM to be running against those guys.

12"China would also be alright...just get a PitsterPro and you would be set ;)

Personally I like the 88Lim class as its that bit faster than Stock class so its always pretty fun...just gotta have a good running bike and be able to ride them smoothly!haha

IN THE END...it comes down to what kind of Bike you could afford...buying a China like a PitsterPro LXR/X4R would still be competitive in 12"AM, 12"China and 12"Pro!

But CRF50s are heaps fun :D

Hope that gives you a bit of Info

key to winning a race has alot to do with a good start, being fit and being able to keep the pace the whole race without getting worn out, and staying upright, good luck with ya race

the LXR has the 155. i think the only thing you need now is the ability to ride it.

I only just got it and havnt raced it yet.. and i agree my bike is more then enough to be winning 12" am

i believe a pitster x4 won the 12" am this series , hri series..

Last edited:
if you can ride.
and as long as the bike can hold up and has some pace to it..

your set.

It could be a Atomik with a 160 in it. if the rider can ride it well he will win.

But a good bike will help lol

My daily ride is a 2008 black R1 so i should be albe to handle the power of tha LXR.. LOL...

Jokes aside I few boyz are telling me a stock 50is tha way to go... CONFUSED..

For the Most fun , race a stock 50! or 88 limited for sure , there is set rules and its all even racing .

all the other classes are abit to competitive and the people start doing it not for the fun.
people start thinking what can i put on my bike to make me even better etcc

where as racing stock 50's its more how can i ride the little thing faster

For the Most fun , race a stock 50! or 88 limited for sure , there is set rules and its all even racing .

all the other classes are abit to competitive and the people start doing it not for the fun.
people start thinking what can i put on my bike to make me even better etcc

where as racing stock 50's its more how can i ride the little thing faster

Yeah hey thats it!

Stocka Class seems to be the Most Fun and Least Serious...but again it comes down to whether you like riding the CRF50s...

88Lim is a good class as its like Stock but is a little more serious and faster.

Pretty much comes down to the Bike you would like to buy and what you feel most comfortable on but STOCK and 88LIM would be the Cheapest way to get into the Racing side of riding Minis!

Latest posts

Back