'RC Helicopters' Which one to buy?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I_THUMP

Reaction score
A few months ago my bro in-law bought a RC helicopter and after I got my hands onto it I put it through a few tests to see just what it was capable of. Anyway it ended up smashed it into a few pieces and it was no longer working. I guess it just wasn't THUMP proof :p . Now I need to replace it but I told him I would get a better one because the one he had wasn't good enough lol.

I know there are a few members here that know about RC's so I'm sure a few of you can give me your advice and opinions on which one to buy. I will spend about $200-$300 on a new helicopter but i don't really know why one is better than another of the same price. I haven't really looked around because I don't really know what to look for or what to avoid.

This is the same as the one I smashed. Are these ok and I was just to hard on it and expecting too much or was it shit?

COLCO LAMA 5 Co-axial 4CH Radio Control RTF Helicopter - eBay Helicopters, Vehicles, Radio Control, Toys, Hobbies. (end time 13-Nov-08 21:40:21 AEDST)

Are these ones any better and which would you recommend out of them or can you link me to others in this price range?

CopterX 450AE V2 Helicopter KIT Trex 450SE GF AU - eBay Helicopters, Vehicles, Radio Control, Toys, Hobbies. (end time 12-Nov-08 19:28:53 AEDST)

NEW WALKERA SERIES 60 RC HELICOPTER 7 CHANNEL 3D RTF - eBay Helicopters, Vehicles, Radio Control, Toys, Hobbies. (end time 12-Nov-08 20:49:50 AEDST)

NEW ALIGN TREX 450 GF RC HELICOPTER BRUSHLESS COMBO KIT - eBay Helicopters, Vehicles, Radio Control, Toys, Hobbies. (end time 16-Nov-08 20:51:02 AEDST)

Cheers;)

if you want, ive got a esky honey bee king 2 (6 channel), which i have added brushless too! it needs a pinion but will fly... if you want it i can do it for $200... or i have a dragon fly (4 channel) which i have also modified which i can sell + spares

let me know, the esky would be a good deal, ive never flown it as i dont know how :p

the one that you smashed is different to the other's you posted, for starters the dual rotor head set up is much easier to fly compared to the main+tail rotor combo helies, its also 4 channel which is pritty basic (good for learners, someone who dosnt intend on stunting) 6 channel and up is where inverted flight + arial stunts come into play

Last edited:
yea yea sure... theres a fair bit of dust on them though, i know ive got some spare blades and bits two, both run lipo batteries and i have a charger/ balancer for both

100_0731.jpg

100_0733.jpg

white one is the esky honey bee king 2, coloured one is the walkera dragon fly 4

All i know is these things are pretty hard to fly!!!! flying them indoors gets abit hectic and you hit walls and ceilings and they break really easy!! and if you take it outside its always!! to windy even like slight wind will send these things crashing to thee ground!

My dad has literally 15+ of these (all broken) in his office hanging up for show lol (must admit he is a really bad driver with them) but yer it definately gets addictive!!! and costly.

Jeez THUMP, the heli's ive had have had more "shed roof time' than they have air time, and they still havent broken, what did you do?!?!
Anyway Walkera are a good brand, the heli you crashed wasnt all that good to start with
havent looked at the links but im quite sure the LAMA was a dual rotor set up, easier to fly than the standard set up.
Esky are another good brand to look at

my advice for budding heli pilots....get a simulator FIRST. and get a feel of what the sticks will actually do. keeping a straight hover and landing again is hard to learn.

i got an ark 400, $250 in a kitform, bare, add about $800 with batteries motor radio gyro alloy upgrades servos etc...and now im just too scared to fly it... at $100 per crash(at least) do you blame me? and of course, when youre in the mood, the weather isnt:rolleyes:
but!!!!! i made training wheels for it and its really cool just buzzing around on the tarmac:) bit like an rc drift car now... cept you can hop it over obstacles...

Those things are like ufo's zipping through the air at all kinds of angles. Where from and how much?

I wonder why it wont allow the video to be embeded?

I don't know why it wouldn't embed ...

They're experimental prototypes from a research lab and would most likely cost an arm and a leg ...

They're most certainly a "buzz" to watch ... Ha ha ha ...

ive had all sorts of rc helis. micro, electric, nitro,
my advice to you buy pheonix rc simulator and a good controller and play like hell on your computer until your a legend it will save you hundreds, but out of those that you picked the align trex is the best if your to get one of those
wattsuprc and take off and land are good stores to deal with

Last edited:
I'm guessing most of those maneuvers would pump more than 12G's (about peak in the Red Bull air race)... All good until you do the reverse G moves and your head bursts :p

Hey guys

I think a 4ch heli is the way to go, I started out in helis about 4-5 years ago a good beginner 4ch is the micro twister sport, very reliable easy to control and has beginner and advance modes which is great!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back