Really Bad Kickback On My PitPro XR 140cc

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MitchAustralia

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have an 09' PitPro XR 140cc and have had troubles with kick starting it.
We have rung lots of people up and researched it on the net and ofcourse have heard the whole Top Dead Centre and all of that.
We have followed exactly what they tell us to do and dad and I are still hurting our ankles trying to kick start it.
Eventually we gave up on kick starting because it was doing damage to us, and the bike.
So we just bump start it or roll start it, hill start it whatever you call it.
That works fine but is a pain walking back to the top of a hill when you dont get it the first 1 or 2 times because its cold.

I would really like to know if anyone else is having this sort of problem with their pitty or other bike and how they have fixed it or what they are doing now.
I would like detailed instructions on how to kick start properly and preventing kick back but I realise that all the info you guys will give me is the same I have heard everywhere else.
Still, I would highly appreciate people to leave a comment regarding this issue.

Thanks, Mitch.

well you don't kick it from TDC you push it just past TDC then kick otherwise as soon as you kick it fires and kicks back.
if you having trouble take off the stator cover so you can see the marks on the flywheel and know when to kick

this guy manages to start a CR500 COLD in runners... (ok he is a fat Flucker and a yankee doodle..)but surely a 140 cant be THAT hard.. My $ goes on what DvD suggests..

how does it go at starting once its warm!?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YvuFlYM--E4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YvuFlYM--E4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
{no... I dont think 'standard members can ''embed' utoob video..}

My 150 can be a real handful to start at times, have you tried kicking it with the throttle open. I hold the throttle flat to start mine, must be the fuel screw setting maybe. Will sort it one day when it doesn't start at all.

stator cover is the cover on the left of the engine where the front sprocket is, there's 3 bolts to remove it, this is not splitting the engine or anything it just exposes the flywheel so yea it's easy as long as you know how to use a socket wrench it's Impossible to stuff up, just don't tighten the bolts up too much wen u put it back on.
then you can see the flywheel with the cover off, look at it and you'll see a T and a F marked on it, kick over the engine slowly until you feel the compression, then just ease it down until the flywheel has passed the T & F, let the kickstart back up and give it one firm complete kick,

foolsp33d -

Yeh I know,
In the video hes sort of talking about the right time to start it etc.
and he shows how it is resisting and then gives way.
then he stands up kicks, nothing, kicks again nothing and then kicks the third time and gets it.
would the pistons be back into the compressions stage by the time he hast tried it for the third time, therefore kicking back?

It starts better warm of course but still kicks back just as much.

Thanks, Mitch.

My 150 can be a real handful to start at times, have you tried kicking it with the throttle open. I hold the throttle flat to start mine, must be the fuel screw setting maybe. Will sort it one day when it doesn't start at all.

sorry what do you mean by open throttle?
this is my first bike so im constantly learning :(

stator cover is the cover on the left of the engine where the front sprocket is, there's 3 bolts to remove it, this is not splitting the engine or anything it just exposes the flywheel so yea it's easy as long as you know how to use a socket wrench it's Impossible to stuff up, just don't tighten the bolts up too much wen u put it back on.
then you can see the flywheel with the cover off, look at it and you'll see a T and a F marked on it, kick over the engine slowly until you feel the compression, then just ease it down until the flywheel has passed the T & F, let the kickstart back up and give it one firm complete kick,

Alright thanks man
Might have a look at that if problems continue.

nah mitch don't hold the throttle open when you start it or you flood the engine, if you're having trouble sometimes the tinyest bit of throttle can help.

fools my 140 kicks back pretty hard, after a couple kickbacks without boots you wanna jump off and kick the shit out of the bike as revenge :p

Obviously as he kicks it it goes thru its compression cycle.. but it was more in reference to being able to kick it over without doing damage to his obese feet and ankles on a bike almost 3 times the size of your ;)

a closed throttle is basically letting the bike idle.. full throttle or (WOT-WideOpenThrottle) is just that! Wide open! Giving it the full curry, flat stick, WOT!

all bikes r like that in the beginning mine was excesively(is that a word?)bad but as the bike wares in more and your legs muscles get stronger you'll find it way easier

Yeah I had trouble starting my pp 140xr when I first got it.Like the other guys said slowly kick it though until you get past the hard point then give it the KICK of your life if that did'nt get it going then try it again with the throttle open a little bit.

Alright thanks for all your help guys
I will try your suggestions
XxFMXxX when you say give it the KICK of your life im really scared its gonna give the kick of its life back at me and break my ankle
lol
maybe I should be more confident and hope that it doesnt kick back but owell.
does bump starting it cause any damage to the engine?

Thanks, Mitch.

If you slowly kick it past the hard part then give it a big kick it should'nt kick back because you have already past the part where it's just about to fire if you know what I mean

My lifan 140 with bigger carby is a pig to start when cold now but when she fires oh boy :)

^^ Might be getting a bit technical there.. he is only starting out as stated.. ;)

So push it JUST past the hard part (or compression cycle) then give it a good kick. If you kick it past this part then that allows the piston and your leg to gain momentum and push it through the next compression cycle. On my 400, if I prime the engine right and start it like I mentioned then it will fire up first kick.

Latest posts

Back