Replace Helmet???

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hussey

Reaction score
On the weekend I was involved in a pretty hectic crash with another member on the site(motovert24) and landed pretty hard. Broke my collarbone and hit my head pretty hard. Now the question I want to raise and get yourfeedback is whether or not I should replace my helmet? Im leading towards it as I know if they have any sort of crack in the foam it wont protect me next time around...just wanting to see what people think.

Ill try get a photo up soon, no visable damage on the helmet.

id spent the coin and get it. if your old one is bad and wont protected you wha tis the point of it. get a new one bro

If there is no visible damage to the helmet i would say no, but i am a dodgy bastard... Can/have you taken out the inner lining to see if there are any spots that have been compressed? If that checks out fine then like i said previous don't bother. But when it's all said and done is it worth not forking out the $150.00 or so just so you know your head has as good a chance next time? Deffinately a personal choice :)

The outer shell can appear un damaged but the inner shell would have fractures in it. If your unlucky enough to crash again you might not be so lucky and it may not protect you.
Whats a new helmet?? $250? $800??
Whats a new head worth??
If you put your helmet on your handle bars and it falls off and hits the ground your meant to replace it.

Mm yeah thinking ill get a new one. Was such a nice one too. Fox v3. But dropping from handlebars you serious?

I'm dead serious.
Even putting certain type of stickers or paint on them can deem them un usable and un safe.
They are designed for 1 impact only.
When you fall off your not falling from real great heights most of the time. Not much higher than the bars. So it makes no difference if its on your head or falling off your bars. Same type of impact.
I read an article many years ago I think in ADB magazine and it was a road test on helmet safety and as long as they have an Australian standards sticker they are all roughly as save as each other. The extra costs is for comfort.

http://www.helmets.org/replace.htm

Last edited:
If i use to crash out of a race i'd throw my helmet all over the place and still use it the next week.

If i use to crash out of a race i'd throw my helmet all over the place and still use it the next week.

Classic!!

I used to use my helmet to work people over while robbing them at the train station, and then I would wear it on my ride home.

Just kidding.

When in doubt, chuck it out! It sucks to have to replace a helmet that you really like but when you think about the $200-$600 for a new helmet it is really worth it compared to being brain damaged and having the mental capacity of a 3 year old (****ting your pants, not being able to feed yourself or talk properly, never be able to go anywhere on your own, etc, etc).

Also like DHZ said there might not be any signs of damage on the shell but the foam on the inside is where you're meant to look, and it can be really hard to find cracks in that.

Think of it this way - your damaged Fox V3 just became another wall piece for your man cave with a good story behind it too :)

Classic!!

I used to use my helmet to work people over while robbing them at the train station, and then I would wear it on my ride home.

Just kidding.

When in doubt, chuck it out! It sucks to have to replace a helmet that you really like but when you think about the $200-$600 for a new helmet it is really worth it compared to being brain damaged and having the mental capacity of a 3 year old (****ting your pants, not being able to feed yourself or talk properly, never be able to go anywhere on your own, etc, etc).

Also like DHZ said there might not be any signs of damage on the shell but the foam on the inside is where you're meant to look, and it can be really hard to find cracks in that.

Think of it this way - your damaged Fox V3 just became another wall piece for your man cave with a good story behind it too :)

Yeah good point, im going to get another one. Starting to get some good peices for the man cave now....

Dude company's just dont want to be sued so they put that fine print bull**** to paper about droping your helmet from you bars. You ever seen James stewart crash through a race and hit his head and then run and get a new helmet before he gets back on his bike?

lucky james steward dosnt fall of twice

That's cos he crashes so hard, that he doesnt usually get up. :boxing:

As for replacing the helmet, I always replace mine if I have a big crash. Its the reason I have so many helmets in my shed. So, you get to do some window shopping for the next couple of weeks. What helmets you looking at buying ??

Your head is worth a lot more than a few hundred dollars. Be crazy not to get a new lid.

JS don't have time in a race to swap but I bet he would have a brand new helmet the next week. It's not BS.

Even if you don't crash a helmet should be replaced every 5 years or so. The foam wears over time and your sweat eats it away.

Doesn't take much even on expensive helmets to crack the foam and make them much less reliable.

throwing helmets when you get back to the pits is the best feeling. achieves nothing, usually hits my girlfriend, but always feels like the right thing to do. and replacing a helmet is something i did every year when i was racing.

Last edited:
That's cos he crashes so hard, that he doesnt usually get up. :boxing:

As for replacing the helmet, I always replace mine if I have a big crash. Its the reason I have so many helmets in my shed. So, you get to do some window shopping for the next couple of weeks. What helmets you looking at buying ??

Yeah can't ride for about 2 months do got a bit of time to shop around. I like the bell moto 9 lids at the moment. I'll go try one on soon.

throwing helmets when you get back to the pits is the best feeling. achieves nothing, usually hits my girlfriend, but always feels like the right thing to do. and replacing a helmet is something i did every year when i was racing.

Haha poor girlfriend. I was pissed off as well and threw mine pretty hard into the fence. If someone didn't return it I would of left it. But yes it's the right thing to do.

haha westy, thanks for the laugh, up here at the road races if your helmet has a scratch from any impact it is unusable at those meets, like DHZ said any impact and the helmet is deemed unusable, not sure of the rules at other meets though, but i dont think they would vary much if the scrutineer knows hes stuff.

Yeah can't ride for about 2 months do got a bit of time to shop around. I like the bell moto 9 lids at the moment. I'll go try one on soon.

Didnt know anyone brought them to Australia. I know that the old Bell's that got imported to Australia were the helmets made for the Asian market and fitted very differently to those made for the American market.

motorcycling australia are cracking down on imported helmets. so make sure its got the AS number on it before you pay.

Latest posts

Back