rim locks/ rim up grade

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakkxgoldsakkx

Reaction score
hi i have 2 questons . how do rim locks work and how do you fit them. question #2 my son has 12mill axles and it seems you cant get new rims and hubs for 12 mill axles every thing is 15mil. they are 32 spoke wheels can i just respoke some new 32 hole rims with his existing hubs.. if i kan what do i need to check / to make sure they will go back together. hope you guys can help. thanks jakkx

Hey mate... Rim Locks are a small device installed on the rim that basically clamp the tyre bead down onto the rim from the inside.
This stops the tyre/tube from spinning on the rim under hard acceleration and tearing out the tube valve.

Heres a thread about fitting rim locks for ya... Its pretty straight forward!
Fitting Rim Locks - Miniriders

DOnt know anything about the rims, spokes or axles though... Im sure someone here will jump on and help ya out!

cant you just get some new bearings with12mm bores.
pop the old ones out, measure the o/d and buy another pair with 12mm bores from a bearing shop.

i bought some used rims off a thumpstar that were 15mm axles.
i had replaced my bearings recently in my old wheels, so i popped them out and fitted them to the new wheels
problem solved

iv never come across a bearing that you can convert 15mm axle down to 12mm..

but yeah there are plenty of 12mm axle wheels available, post a pic of your bike so i can see what hubs it needs..

and yes you can respoke them but its not an easy job or cheap if a shop does them... you could buy 2 sets of wheels lol

Latest posts

Back