should i put a 26mm carb on my lifan 125?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gordesky1

Reaction score
I have a ssr 110 with a 125 lifan engine. And was thinking of buying a 26mm on ebay for it too replace the stock 22mm. Will it make a difference in power and more easier tuning?

The problem i having right now is i always have to mess with the air screw and idle screw pretty much every time i go too ride it too get it running decent..

And the other problem it has most of the time the low end when you first take off it kinda hesitates and bogs down little, But the top end is great with very little hesitating.

I cleaned the carb tons of times also put in a new spark plug, And also check for fuel flow cause it seems like it staving for gas but it has great fuel flow coming out of the hose. Also getting great spark i put a inner rotor kit in it like 6 months ago.

Oh i have the air screw turn out around 2 turns out but any more or less it gets badder..

It has alot of kick and stuff but the hesitating is driving me insane..

But ya was wondering will the 26mm carb do the trick?

Def sounds like a fuel prob, have you tried playing with the adjustment on the slide needle, if you dont know there is 5 settings on the needle, if you havent i would highly recommend putting the tiny c-clip on the bottom notch.

yep sure will bud put a oko 26mm on it and you will love it i have a 125 and had a oko 26mm and it screamed now iv put a 28mm and see how it goes when i get it tuned

Def sounds like a fuel prob, have you tried playing with the adjustment on the slide needle, if you dont know there is 5 settings on the needle, if you havent i would highly recommend putting the tiny c-clip on the bottom notch.

Hmm didn't even know that i could adjust that.. Will try that, Thanks:)

yep sure will bud put a oko 26mm on it and you will love it i have a 125 and had a oko 26mm and it screamed now iv put a 28mm and see how it goes when i get it tuned

Would the MIKUNI VM22 26MM give improvement? Would get the oko but kinda out of my price range right now. like too get a new set of tires:)

Yeah it will, but adjusting the mixture screw is near impossible without pulling the carb off as the mixture screw is on the bottom between the float bowl screws that hold the bowl on. We currently have these carbs on our 125s at work and the slide needle clip must be on the bottom notch to run or they just play up bad. The reason its a vm22 is because where the slide goes in the carb the intake goes into an oval shape and is 22mm wide where the section that attaches to the intake pipe is 26mm.

K tried the clip on the bottom of the needle, And took it for a ride today and it still bogs out.. Seems like it got badder than before it was in the middle slot. Like when you thottleing it even at full throttle it will act like the brakes comes on than leaves go.

It really does seem like its staving for gas, But i cant figure out what is causing it. Might try cleaning the carb out again..

I have another question that might be causing it.

Today its leaking oil pretty bad now, Before it was a slow leak and i thought it was a crack in the case,

But i found out were its leaking at which is the inner rotor right on the bottom, Seems like the seal might be bad.. Would this cause any of these problems Maybe causing a air leak?

If you just flick the throttle open and it wants to die in the arse then I'd say its to much fuel bogs can go both ways so lean it out you might need a smaller pilot jet, kick ya bike over hold the revs just on and slowly turn your mixture screw till you here the revs at their highest then release the throttle and then adjust your idle to idle smoothly then open the throttle if it still wants to die then I'm guessing to rich, my 140 is running a 24mm oko and was running rich with the same kind of hesitation in the throttle as it sounds your having and I leaned it out and my mixture screw us only a half turn out and it's know sweet as so don't always thing a bog is not enough fuel.

Hmm ya i was thinking it might be too rich and getting too much gas but wasn't sure, Will try messing with it later today again which will be like 20s out... lol

Also for the mixture/air screw, I See while looking both of them up air screw is when turning out leans it, And when turning it in richen it While the mix fuel screw is the other way around.

Mine which is the stock lifan 125 carb which has the screw on the other side from the idle screw Would that be the air screw or fuel screw?

Heres a pic link that looks just like mine and shows were the screws are at. inkFrog

You want to have the needle clip on the 2nd from the top slot. That lowers the needle.
What jets have you tried??

Will try puting the clip on the 2nd slot from the top one later today and see if that helps. Nope all the jets are stock ones, Not even sure what numbers they are.

Im about too buy and just put a 26mm on it, Ony thing holding me back from doing that is the air or fuel screw is on the bottom of the carb which will be hard too get too..

Will be buying a 140 prirana motor for it hopefully in couple months but would like too get this engine running good till than..

Think i found out the problem, Were i thought the oil was coming from was the o ring for the inner rotor kit, It was the rotor kit itself leaking oil around the coils..

But saw i can tighten it back up when i get it off, its the big red thing with the 2 heat or coils on it, And its all loose and notice its also touching the flyweel..

So i would think that would throw timing off and causing theses problems?

I still couldn't get it running right messing with the carb before the oil problem got worse and was leaking alot of oil.

Will know Friday when i pull the flywheel off because i had too order a puller tool..

Ok have good news, The screws was just loose on the coil for the rotor kit, So got that fixed and it was running better, But still was bogging out but more on the low end this time..

But it was ride able, But today i put the old big bore pipe on , I had a baja 70cc one on it to make it more quite, But i pop the big bore back on and that pretty much fixed the bogging..

And the bike has much more power now. And it runs perfect now...

So the pipe was causing it maybe it was really restricted that the lifan 125 motor didn't like it. It ran good when i first put it on but it seem like it went down hill after that. Maybe it got clogged.

But everything seems good now, Except i do still have a oil leak.. seems like oil is coming out of one of the screw holes for the stator cover.. But a very slow leak.

Good news mate, the other exhaust has a steel plate in it with a very small outlet for exhaust gases which helps keep it quiet, the pipe now on it will be straight thru with no restriction. Behind the stator plate where the screws go thru there should be a recessed section where an oring sits for the top and bottom screw holes, if the orings are missing then you can get oil thru there especially the bottom hole.

rotor kit.JPG

The orings are all there but were it was leaking at is the bolts that holds the coil on. I circle it in this pic.

I was surprised to find out it was leaking threw the bolts.. But to fix it all i did is take it off and tighten the back screws on the plate and so far that quit the leaking. Not even sure how it got loose, I guess vibration?

Last edited:
Wanted to give another update cause this might help other people.

Ok the problem came back couple days ago...

Had no power and it was backfiring and shooting flames out of the pipe and seem like it had a rpm limiter all threw rpms.

So none of that was the problem up top, But after changing to another carb which i had another 80cc pitbike that i took the carb from, Thought the carb was 100% the problem which was not.

Sometimes the bike will run fine than other times it will run like ****, So after looking i notice a green wire just hanging from the inner rotor kit and just always thought that was a dumb wire or a extra wire, But found out its the ground wire.

So i put a hole end on it and bolted it to the motor and so far the bike has alot of power and no backfiring and running really smooth now.. lol Never thought a ground would cause this much problems but i do remember now that i had the ground on a bolt when i first got the inner kit, The chain mustve rip it off when i had a bad bearing in my old swing arm and never looked the wire over.

Kinda explains now why sometimes it will run good and other times it ran like crap sense the wire probably was rubbing on the motor for a ground.

Latest posts

Back