Smoke & Carby

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WyldOne

Reaction score
Hey all,

When I try to start my bike, it has smoke coming out of the airfilter. What could possibly be wrong with my bike. I've bearly ridden the thing and I am still braking it in! Also, my fuel tank did have a leak and it did leak a lil bit on the airfilter, could that be the problem?

does it only come out when you stall it?? my 125 does it too,,,, i think its got to do with the valves or some thing like that

more than likely bent inlet valve

are yu sure it's smoke or is it fuel vaper

or is it a backfire which is timing or something aka premature detonation

It's a lil bit of white smoke when I first try and start it.

firstly just check the valve clearance....an inlet valve that is held open will feedback thru the carb

I realised that it wasn't smoke coming out of the airfilter, it was instead the nuts on my exhaust had lil rubber washers in them and so they were melting.

Mate , that doesn't make sense ... If there's smoke coming from rubber washers on your exhaust ... it'd be smoking bad while it was running and there'd still be smoke coming off it after you stopped it last time ... You'd have noticed it then ... NOT off a cool pipe when you go to re-start it again ...

I've seen people breathing into their hand and smelling their own breath with a confused look on their face before ... it turned out that they'd just sneak'd a sly fart out seconds before and forgot about it ...

Well I did also soak the airfilter in water so maybe that fixed it? And of course i let it dry out!

Okay, I just went outside to see if I could start my bike and smoke was still coming out of the airfilter. Also, I do have a problem with fuel leaking out of the overflow. I've had that many problems it's not funny!

ok well fuel coming out of he overflow means your float level is set too high bend the little tabe on the floats so they set a little bit lower

ok well fuel coming out of he overflow means your float level is set too high bend the little tabe on the floats so they set a little bit lower

Thanks man! Which way do I bend them?

um not sure depends on certain carby just bend the little tab to when you hold the carby up the right way with the fuel bowl off and just make sure that when you bend it the floats they will sit lower than before

Also, if your wanting to wash or clean your air filter, fill a container with some petrol and soak it in that.
Just squeeze it through so it gets all the muck out. Petrol gets almost anything out.
And if you havnt got one, buy a unifilter!
The reason for that is the stock air filters fall apart where they are glued.
It could be bad if you riding, it falls apart and some mud or something flies into your engine :(
Hope this helped and I hope you get your problem fixed
Mitch.

I bent them downwards a little bit and that has seem to of fixed the overflow problem. Now just gotta see if it makes a difference with the smoke coming out of the airfilter.

Also, if your wanting to wash or clean your air filter, fill a container with some petrol and soak it in that.
Just squeeze it through so it gets all the muck out. Petrol gets almost anything out.
And if you havnt got one, buy a unifilter!
The reason for that is the stock air filters fall apart where they are glued.
It could be bad if you riding, it falls apart and some mud or something flies into your engine :(
Hope this helped and I hope you get your problem fixed
Mitch.

I'll look into buying a Unifilter once I've got the problems fixed. Also, how can I tell the difference between a real and a fake unifilter?

a unifilter is red or green and comes in a plastic bag with a carboard unifilter logo and a sticker inside.

when you're trying to start your bike are you getting kickback from the kickstarter?

a unifilter is red or green and comes in a plastic bag with a carboard unifilter logo and a sticker inside.

when you're trying to start your bike are you getting kickback from the kickstarter?

Yeh I'm getting a bit of kickback every now and then.

Latest posts

Back