snapped subframe

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbk

Reaction score
ok so i was looking at my bike wondering why it had a few wrinkles in the seat the rear mudguard was sitting a bit high i went to lft it off its stand i noticed the sibframe was moving to my realisation i had cracked it severy so i snapped it off heres the pics.........though should i get my neigbour to weld it for me and then brace it or buy a new one and brace that???

DSC00847.jpg

DSC00848.jpg

here is a idea of what im hoping of bracing the red indicating the bars i would have welded and obviously the three peices welded together not just the way it is in the pics

idea 1
DSC00847-1.jpg

idea 2
is similar to 1 but instead staright bars have angled bars to make little triangles like the main frame it came

i am open to other suggestions of what people think may work better to reinforce one of these

cheers mattbombers ....im contacting dhz if they can get one but if they cant can you try your supplier for me

thanks

Triangulation is the key..

everyone else had a go at drawing..I felt left out..
crap.jpg

Find 2 long hi tensile bolts that fit neatly inside the tube ... The tighter they fit ... the better . Cut the thread sections off using a cut off disc in a grinder then round the ends off ... Hammer each one half way into each side of either the loop OR the triangular parts while they are bolted to the frame ... Drill a hole in each tube to do a plug weld so that the bolts are locked in and sticking out like two pins ... Cut the bolt heads off with the cut off disc then round the ends off ... Now knock the loop back in place over the two pins leaving a slight gap at the join and weld around the pipe in stages letting it cool each time ... When you are finished the subframe will be a lot stronger than it was before ...

IF you want to strengthen a stock loop , the only way is to weld two additional bars attached from further back near the loop and angled down to near where the stock lower struts attach to the frame ... anything else is a complete waste of time and effort ... Bars going sideways across the width do jack all except hold the seat in place if it's bolted to them ... The top subframe attachment bolts act like a pivot and the bottom bolts take all the load ...

Check out where the loop cracked off from and you can read the cracks ... if they look rusted or darker from the top down then look shiny at the bottom where they let go ... then that's from hangin' your butt rearwards when landing from jumps etc ... Get your ass off the seat over bumps and when landing from jumps ... start riding the bike more like a jockey ... If the crack starts from the bottom up ... then chances are you've cracked it from loopin' out and hitting the rear of the subframe on the ground ... and in that case ... nothing will be strong enough to handle the force ... except total prevention ... LOL ... If you make the loop too strong ... it will snap off somewhere else such as at the bolt mounts where it's a lot harder to repair ... Hi tensile steel will snap suddenly rather than bend ... if you over weld it or put too much heat spread from the welds , you'll severely weaken it ... That's why the chinese do bad looking welds ... they're doing them as quick as possible to minimise heat spread which if allowed to occur ... lowers the tensility of the base metal ...

ok the crack is darker at the bottom so i figured maybe i had the rear shock a tad stiff ??? and what do you mean by loopin out and hittin the subframe on the ground coz i never have flipped it if thats what you mean.

Drill a hole in each tube to do a plug weld so that the bolts are locked in and sticking out like two pins ...

next thing is can use the pic above to explain a bit better

Last edited by a moderator:
Spot on headsmess ... any other way won't be very effective and will fail in a short time ...

So pitbikekid have you owned the bike from brand spanking new and never ever let anyone else ride it ? ... If not then you don't know what has happened to it once it left your sight ...

If the crack (which shows that it's been there for a while) has started from the bottom ie rusted part to the bottom ... then worked up it was caused by upwards force ... (loop hitting the ground or a weak person reefing on the loop to lift the rear of bike) .... If it's the other way around it's caused by weight being applied too far back on the loop where it's not designed to take such a load ... The shock absorber has nothing to do with it ...

People who plonk their weight back near the rear fender to help do wheel stands etc need to place another strut as shown in headmess's pic ...

ok i can get new subframe for 50 bucks is it worth getting the new or it would be stringer to fix this one im thinking easier to buy the new one.

2 words, "new frame"

do u mean whole frame or sub frame if i went new frame it would only be the cnc klx style the one coolie has on hes ciniworx which means im gonne need a few more parts

So pitbikekid have you owned the bike from brand spanking new and never ever let anyone else ride it ? ... If not then you don't know what has happened to it once it left your sight ...

yer owned from new and yes let people ride so who knows wat could of happened and yer i sometimes put my weight on the end of the seat tho i only weight like 55kg??? i think i might just not let anyone touch her besides me or at least within my sight

cheers for the help people

Last edited:
You only need a new rear subframe ... but if you don't change whatever you did to cause it to break in the first place ... the same fate awaits the new one unless the manufacturers have moved the strut placement further back ... ie in Headsmess's pic , the loop can still snap off right behind where the added strut ends ... but it will take a lot more force due to the leverage factor being greatly reduced ...

Strengthening your old one as I've described will be stronger than a new one because the metal will be solid all the way thru ... hi tensile bolts are fricken' strong ...

Any new subframe you buy needs to have the exact same bolt mounting points and angle ... otherwise you'll just encounter more headaches ... and bending or forcing parts to fit it on will instantly weaken it or preload the mount bolts with tension ...

One of those Ciniworx frames would be great ... but the price will do serious damage to your bank account ...

ok sounds like i will get the snapped one fixed and i will have my self a spare.....i do remember doing a jump and landed the rear and washed out and it hink i did hit the subframe though that was last year sometime

Latest posts

Back