Snaptax's Yz290f

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snaptrax

Miniriders.com Sponsored Rider & Master Spanner Sp
Reaction score
Hey guys
well i have finally got my baby going only 4 months for the whole build mostly saving moneys haha.
So basically i brought a 04 yz250f for $400 with a blown motor.
The connecting rod had a disagreement with the motor and wanted out so it left out the bottom of the motor haha.

So new cases from the states and also new 05 gearing.
Next came a bulk buy from ebay for 500 that came with everything from Ebachi front forks to 14 rebuild kits including rings and wiesco pistons there is apparently 5-6g worth of stuff. Bargain.

Then when money was available a 290cc hotrods stroker kit was ordered along with stickers and new dunlop mx51 tyres.

Then the rebuild started. Everything was built by me no help so if i come across boasting i apologise but i am really proud of completely rebuilding my bike from scratch/

So new bearings went in, crankshaft and transmission and the bottom end was done.

Next to go on was a new Gytr billet clutch basket and center hub. Mmmm shiney bits

Next was the piston, bore, head. All good everything is working, Good sign.
Cams went on timing set and a new ngk inriduim spark plug.
1496200_648920255150301_1812209963_o_zps7ba91e7d.jpg

Awesome i thought i did it. Wrong
1496516_648270668548593_1199815433_o_zps20ac0684.jpg

Put the motor in the bike made it look good frame re-sprayed. Yep awesome
1485867_648330568542603_789377076_o_zpsd5417f51.jpg

Ok here we go big moment. Pull the kickstart out. Give it a good kick. Bam fired straight up. Whooo awesome.
Started leaking coolant. No biggie il fix that drain the oil.

Hmmm Didnt think my oil was blue. DAMMIT my coolant is leaking into my sump.
Hmm must be the water pump. fix that. Nope still leaking. Damn was supposed to be riding tomorrow. Pull the head off and pour water down the radiators.
Wait what. there is water coming out of the head. Looks in manuel nope cant find anything. Remembers a funny looking bolt. I bet that goes in there. Sure enough.

YES fixed.
1486095_651195431589450_979457863_o_zps400ee488.jpg

Back together flushed the oil 4 times and now she is running like a beast.
i love it.

looks very nice with it all painted/cleaned up ! +reps

now you just need to post up a video of you riding it

cheers, craig

Thanks Craig.
Yea i will have to go out soon but its raining out here.

Awesome mate :) She'd move along quite nicely with the 290 kit. To marks on the rebuild :) So how'd you pick up all those rebuild kits at that price? Definite score :)

Thanks Timeeh
It was in a bulk lot on ebay. I saw it and was like hmm that looks good. Brought it and drove from melbourne to sydney and back haha.
But yea the guy i got it from was a AMA sponsored rider and had won the australian titles apparently. So i guess he got given most of the parts

Cheers guys. A lot of time and effort went into it.

turned out great mate, you must be stoked with the end result :) cant wait to see some vids of this thing!
Got anything else planned for it?

Thanks man. Not really anything else for it man. Its got many upgrades on it. Like an White bros mx4 pipe. gytr parts through it and lots more.

More at the moment learning to ride it.
lets just say the power is damn insane. throttle wheelies in 5th gear.

yeh fair enough, that white bros pipe would sound pretty sick! And it'd hoot with that 290 kit !!

Haha it looks like it doesnt it. The headlight i brought off ebay nearly a year ago for my pit bike and never used it cost me $19 shipped
Il get a vid tomorrow :D

Don't ya hate it when your bike tries to be a two stroke. :/

Headgasket must have been broken. also the head bolts must have come loose. so coolant has been getting into barrel hence making it like a 2 stroke.

Just a tad. Lucky it didnt get into the sump and ruin my bearings. new gasket and she should be good.

dunno about loctite?
if you need to retension them in 100kms, the loctite holding the nuts will give you false readings.

dunno about loctite?
if you need to retension them in 100kms, the loctite holding the nuts will give you false readings.

Agreed. Wouldn't be using it for head bolts. Really shouldn't need to anyway.

Latest posts

Back