Solution to chain breaking the starter plate

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

napolian_was

Reaction score
hi this has happen to me 2 times and it cost about $100 each time and thats doin to work my self so i made up a guard to stop a 3rd. hope it will work for you.

Attachments

• Image022.jpg
    Image022.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 37
  • Image026.jpg
    Image026.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 32
  • Image027.jpg
    Image027.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 26
dude
good stuff but you might also want to try cutting the cover off from over the sprocket it stops the chain from ganging up in there it also keep it cleaner and free of rocks and stuff which derail your chain
also try tightening your chain a bit more as this is normally the reason it comes off

good luck at $100 a hit your paying to much

With coolmodee here , prevention is better than cure. At $100 you want to make sure you can prevent all you can.
You got lucky I was running a *Gasp* Kmc chain on mine , the chain snapped under suden excelleration and destroyed my magneto pick up = my centre crank case needed to be replaced = a whole new motor.
Hence why I dont even think about riding my bike without shoving a spanner betweem my rear sprocket and chain and setting the chain tension before every ride. Ignition covers are cheap compared to a new motor.

A ignition cover should cost no more than $30 for a china one.

But yes lob that sprocket cover off and keep that area clean

i did the same
fuk006.jpg

omg y dont u go buy a good chain... ppls at the shop all the time snaps there doin what u have done..... get a d.i.d or ek or rk man they set u bak like $45 it will fix your issue

Last edited:
usually if the chain jumps its because of frame flex or being warped, kinked chain/worn chain
routine maintenance should check all these

thanks guys i'll check all that stuff out

$30 that sux i payed 65 on ebay and 30 for a new side :(

Last edited:
shhh sean ive learnt my lesson

edit: hehehehehe

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes you need to buy a high quality chain like a D.I.D etc (that won't stretch or snap) and keep it tensioned correctly .... plus you need to make sure that the front and rear sprockets are aligned and that your swingarm pivot bearings etc are in good shape with zero slop ........

A 428 chain has most likely got less chance of coming off .......

The BEST insurance tho' is to make up a case saver ........

I made one for my TT500 years ago since they also suffered from destroyed cases if the chain came off .....

An example of a TT500 case saver :

aProductsForSale10OctTTcaseSavers.jpg

More examples of case savers :

honda xr50 case saver - Google Image Search

Latest posts

Back