spluttering\bogging when you accelerating plz help

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is either a tuning issue or you are running too big a carby. There is plenty of threads on here about how to fix this problem try a search on "flat spot" and you should find your answer.

Ost of these chineese shiters have there carbys tuned so they cold start and just ride off like a pussy without it giving any problems.

When I fixed the same flat spot on my bike it now takes a couple of minutes to warm up and run well. Once it is warm I can wack my throttle open as fast as I can and it dosent miss a beat.

yer mine is stock 140xr masterspoon. i have no idea about the jetting or setting and tuning your carbie, i dont know how to do that lol

well its time you learnt isn't it
mine is now running uni filter (runs fine with original filter aswel tho) 105 main, needle clip in the middle, 27.5 pilot and mixture screw 1.5 turns out i think, well around there anyways. To me it still doesn't seem to rev out enough but I recently discovered it comes with a 23mm manifold and should have at least a 26mm manifold. Will probably be getting one shortly. It was being a little bit temperamental when I was doing motard the other day but once it was warm it never missed a beat (unless you tried to rev it out way to much......)

how did you fix yours?

I re jetted and tuned my carby, I ended up with a 102.5 main and I didnt need to chance the pilot jet. Jets cost about $10 each and getting your carby tuned is the best money and time you can spend.

ok here is a pic of the carbie, now for the tuning or jetting or adjusting what you guys have been talking about, what are the things the arrows are pointing to?

painted2.jpg

both of those are nothing

ok as it stands there your choke should be ON
your idle screw you will find on the other size of the carbie, looks like a proper screw, can't miss it.
You will then find your mixture screw an absolute pain in the bum to get to. The bottom piece of the carbie is the float bowl, if you look at the 2 screws that you can see in it from the pic going upwards, move from there away from the air filter and around the bend back in towards the manifold, in the center of that edge you will see a threaded hole going upwards and if you look really closely you will see a flat blade screw in there. (not visible in pic)

Last edited:
sorry to break the news to you Hollis but that choke is on
take your air filter off and have a look......

and to find the mixture screw undo the two bolts holding the carbie to the manifold, should be 8mm bolt side and 10mm nut side. look at the bottom of the carbie and basically straight under where the manifold bolts on. You will see a threaded hole with a flat blade screw down in the hole, thats your mixture screw

Last edited:
You are trying to run it with the choke on masterspoon is right
it dosnt realy do it with the choke half of, but it dosnt go at all with the choke off, and half off when u go fast it goes blahhblahhballhh , it only goes with the choke full on

The three way choke switch on the 140xr works as follows:push black choke switch down for choke off,middle for half choke and up for full choke.
The butterfly basicly wants to have the choke on naturally and it is the choke lever being pushed down that holds the choke off,if you activate the butterfly by hand with the black lever raised into the choke on position you will find that when you let it go it springs back to the on position.

Last edited:
i think i thought on was off, so it dosnt work with it on * that sounds right, and so i have been riding with it off not on lol
thats the choke problem solved *

but i still have the problem of it bogging\spluttering out , so ill try adjusting the carbie tomorrow, so i need to know what screws do i adjust? and how much

Sigh...good luck, no doubt we'll be hearing from you again. Just so you don't forget, the choke is on when it's up, like your pants. Don't go twisting screws if you don't know what you're doing. I can make a photo tutorial of how to change the needle clip position if you need it.

Last edited:
haha so it will only go with the choke off, funny that.

needle clip won't help the man Squeeby as they normally come with the needle on the richest position which still isn't quite enough.

my advice to you hollis would be go get a big drink of water and some popcorn, get very acquainted with the search button and read till your head is ready to explode. Once you have read everything that has already been posted to answer all the other questions you should have a better understanding or what your carbie is, what it does, what components are in it and what they do and affect.

so what am i spose to do ? would the best thing to adjust the mixture screw do u think?

haha sorry guys i just am still learning about carbies, its the one thing i havnt had any experience with

read read read read and read some more till you know what the carbie parts are and where they are

I would personally say get a 105 and maybe a 102.5 main
probably go a 27.5 pilot aswel as that is working good for me
grab a uni filter while you are there and oil it properly
change the jets over, set the needle clip to the middle position, set your mixture screw to 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 turns out and fine tune from there
won't hurt to check your valves while you are there if you know how to.

and u will know when u have read enough because u will know exactly what he^^ is talking about!!

i dont know what 105 and a 102.5 main and 27.5 pilot or jets needle clip is ??? lol god

haha sorry i just am still learning about carbies and that sort of thing, its the one thing i havnt had any experience with

and i am reading ! im trying to learn

Latest posts

Back