Sticky Suspension?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FastMarty

Reaction score
Hey guys...

Well got my YZF back from the mechanic, with a clean bill of health as far as the engine and valves are concerned. However, steering bearings are cactus (won't stop me riding it though - just a bit notchy) and the rear suspension seems to be um,... sticky?

I noticed it when I rode it, like it wasn't using much stroke. I have backed off all the clickers back to standard to start from there. I havnen't touched the preload, but, it seems maybe just a tad less sag than I would like, so, shouldn't be that.

The rear end, seems to sit down and not spring back, and, then if you jump on it, seems to "thump" and not go any further down the travel. Like its locking up.

I don't want to go jumping it, until I sort it, in case I do some major damage. The Mechanic said on the report "linkage bearings need greasing". Could this combined with pivot bearing grease, be the issue? Or, is it likely that the shock is stuffed?

I am thinking I"m going to have to pull the swinger off and start by re-greasing all the bearings. And may back the spring off the shock and see what the stroke is like, but before I do that, Any comments or suggestions?

Joys of buying from a 'friend' who is a mechanic, and says "its like brand new"... I knew it wouldnt' be.

I recon greasing everything and replacing any seized bearings will sort it right out.

Thanks DHZ. How can you test the bearings for seizure? Try and turn them individually with a small screwdriver?

When you pull the suspension apart get the bearing and put ya finger in it and see if it turns.

spring might of unwound? happend on my lxr and sat lower and felt kinda sticky, sorta all good now after we put it back to where it was originally

Some old worn bearings could be causing your problems. They are needle roller bearings, and are quite often neglected. Need to get in there and have a look. Shock could also be low on nitrogen pressure if the shock hasnt been serviced for a while, which would cause the symptoms you describe.

Looks like a couple of late nights for me then. ;) Have to try and get her sorted by the weekend :)
Thanks Lads. :)

Update: Pulled the shock off, and tried to lift the swingarm up and down. It would only move around 2" and on the upstroke, would 'knock' and lock out. I looked for something hitting on it, as thats what it felt like. Nothing, so pulled all the linkage off . Middle linkage bearing seized, and other ones very stiff. With the linkage out, swingarm moves freely.

Am disassembling the bearings and all the needles fell out ! hehehe. Oh well. cleaned them up and load up with grease. I will do the swing arm pivot bearings too. Then she should be all nice again :)

Pitty I can't change a tyre. Seems with all my welly behind the levers to put on my new rear, I pinched the tube near the valve. Bugger. All that effort getting it on, gone to waste. I guess i'll try and put the old tube back in. Ugh. not looking forward to putting stripping the tyre again.

Say, does it matter if I've chunked bits of rubber around the bead at with the levers?

:) Thanks for everyone's help.

Ahhhh the problem with cheap tyres. Yeah, if you tear the bead of the tyre, the tyre is destroyed before it even hits the dirt. Most shops will fit a tyre for like $15 man, so unless you have lots of experience changing tyres, its easier to pay someone to do it. As for the linkage bearings, if they are that bad, they need replacing. No amount of cleaning and grease is going to get them working again. You can buy linkage bearing kits, and swingarm bearing kits, and I would say that is what you should be doing.

Thanks Swapper. Yeah, I have ordered new Linkage bearings from Serco. The middle one was all pitted and the needles were not salvageable. Looks like I'll be out for the weekend. I dont' think there's enough hours in the rest of the week to finish it off. Will check out the main pivot bearing tonight. I'm hoping thats just a re-grease and re-install. I've also ordered new steering bearings. (they are a horror to install)

As for the tyres, yeah it must be a cheap tyre thing. The bead was so tight, not like what I watched on Youtube! I'm going to try again with the old tube tonight, and hopefully it lasts ok enough till I get some more money.

Another fail this morning... heheheh I'm sure getting to know my new bike! Whatever douche` put the front wheel on last, over tightened one of the fork axle retainer bolts and now I have a nice chewed head to try and extract it tonight. Going to have to do a file back and try again trick. I just hope it doesn't snap off. I never came across un-budgable bolts like this on my 30 year old honda rebuild! And some of them were pretty tight! Once that is off.. then I can attack the front tyre.

Don't you love the "if I can't turn it anymore, it must be tight enough" mentality...

the All Balls Kits are very good if you need more bearings,
bearings yzf250 | eBay

if you are looking for Genuine Yamaha replacement parts,
try these guys, awesome service, quicker and cheaper than buying from Australia too.
Yamaha Motorcycle Parts
cheers,
craig

Thanks My67... I actually found the 'PowersportsPlus' website in US, which your link gets the parts thru (aussie sister website?). So thanks! will save me on shipping.

I actually got my pivotworks linkage bearings direct from SERCO in QLD. They are awessome. And Cheap. Half the price of getting the same thing through a bike shop.

They bearings just arrived, so will be busy tonight. I also did my Main swing arm pivot bearings last night (just clean and regrease, as they weren't in too bad a shape. So its all nice and smooth again. Greased the top shock mount, and my pivot works kit comes with new lower shock bearings. :)

So she'll be ridin' sweet over the weekend, if I get it done in time.

:)

Latest posts

Back