SWD 125cc turbo question

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok, well dont mix turboing a pit bike and turboing a commo up.

completely different setup.

the commo setup will be 10 times easier.. iv actually got a turbo manifold half built in my shed for a t70 to go in a vs v6.
commo being efi only requires the basics to get running, turbo, exhaust manifolds and matching injectors(440lbs would be heaps), and ecu chips are bugga all
run it on around 8psi with standard comp and it will scream.

now the pitty is carbied so its 10 times hard to make it work nicely..
1. your carb is now too small.. thro it in the bin
2. your turbo is miles to big...
3. standard ignition wont like a turbo setup
an irk will most likely lead to a snapped crank shaft..
4. your engine is too small to begin with. at least use a yx160 as the torque will reduce lag...

as for compression, id be adding base gaskets before a double head gasket.. 2 head gaskets will blow easy

oh and lol, adjusting the needle in the carb has no effect to idle quality...

and you said this engine is going on a buggy right?
pretty sure the china buggies are heavier than a pit bike so the engine is going to perform worse..

lol dont get me wrong, youll more than likely get this to work and run OK but dont be surprised when you have next to no improvement over original power

oh and lolz i had to giggle about the repco job bit lol...sorry man lol

and yes tht turbo is much more suited but your engine is still too small lol

Looks like it. On a go kart forum im a member of, someone has had success turboing a honda gx160 clone using the turbocharger from a SMART car. It works awesome haha

<rant>

3-4PSI... You may as well blow into the intake with your mouth :p

Go back to basics, learn before you build and get yourself an appropriate turbo before you start again...

Personally I don't know a huge amount about turbo's, however the above words came from my mate. He's a mechanical engineer who has worked for Noble Automotive (UK sport car company) and is currently working for Prodrive (who manufacture/test all the equipment for FPV). He also grew up with a father who builds competitive drag car engines.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade mate, just pointing out that this an exercise in pointlessness that will only bring you frustration. You will not learn anything useful (especially not in relation to turbo'ing your 3.6L fuel injected NA V6!) except that you need to research the workings of a turbo charged engine a little more thoroughly.

Why not hunt out a CX500 turbo or something even smaller (they exist)...

Honda CX series - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'd love to see this project get off the ground, but it's not going to happen with your current spec!

</rant>

i appreciate all of what your saying, and i do understand all of it too. with the 3-4 psi remark, my mate used to have a VN with a toyota supercharger on it and that used to push about 4psi and he nearly doubled his RWKW. so as long as there can be an improvement it should be fun. as iv said, its mostly experimentation so if it does die in the arse, well, it didnt cost me much. i think so far iv spent maybe $45.
so, so far im pleased with it.

also too, sean01, those things u said, why would i snap a crank with an IRK? and what size carb would U recommend for this app??

i have available a 30mm race carb for $130 that is supposed to be fully adjustable..

oh and lolz i had to giggle about the repco job bit lol...sorry man lol

y the giggle?

this is how its done :D not a minibike tho

http://www.miniriders.com.au/general-chat/23100-54hp-wr250x.html

attachment.php

attachment.php

i appreciate all of what your saying, and i do understand all of it too. with the 3-4 psi remark, my mate used to have a VN with a toyota supercharger on it and that used to push about 4psi and he nearly doubled his RWKW. so as long as there can be an improvement it should be fun. as iv said, its mostly experimentation so if it does die in the arse, well, it didnt cost me much. i think so far iv spent maybe $45.
so, so far im pleased with it.

also too, sean01, those things u said, why would i snap a crank with an IRK? and what size carb would U recommend for this app??

i have available a 30mm race carb for $130 that is supposed to be fully adjustable..

sorry to burst ya mates bubble but theres no way in hell that a toyota supercharger (sc14 or wateva they are) would double the RWKW on a v6..and specially at 4psi
man there flat out doubling the power of the engine they were designed for.(2 litre)

and for the record i have the same supercharger on my GQ patrol, the only thing its added is more torque and its running at 7-8 psi..

and the crank will snap because the clutch is mounted on the other end of the crank. which makes it massively unbalanced..

24mm oko carb is what ya want.

and the repco joke is a mechanic's thing man... they rip you off and always send the wrong part cause they cant read..
IMO spare parts people should be ex mechanics or at least have some sort of mechanical background...

lol i got a few mates tht are repco dudes and there dumb as dog sht, yeah sure they can spit out part number s and sht but ask em some tech shit and there like WTF..

oh and roost stop giving me idea's for my wr450 lol, tht thing is mad

Last edited:
sorry to burst ya mates bubble but theres no way in hell that a toyota supercharger (sc14 or wateva they are) would double the RWKW on a v6..and specially at 4psi
man there flat out doubling the power of the engine they were designed for.(2 litre)

and for the record i have the same supercharger on my GQ patrol, the only thing its added is more torque and its running at 7-8 psi..

and the crank will snap because the clutch is mounted on the other end of the crank. which makes it massively unbalanced..

24mm oko carb is what ya want.

and the repco joke is a mechanic's thing man... they rip you off and always send the wrong part cause they cant read..
IMO spare parts people should be ex mechanics or at least have some sort of mechanical background...

lol i got a few mates tht are repco dudes and there dumb as dog sht, yeah sure they can spit out part number s and sht but ask em some tech shit and there like WTF..

oh and roost stop giving me idea's for my wr450 lol, tht thing is mad

i understand what your saying about the dumb as dogshit staff coz i have to deal with them when i ring other stores too. i would like to think that i have a reasonable mechanical knowledge and background.

i was basing the vn on a friends description, no actual dyno, but seat of the pants (bad example i know)

back to the bike but, in thoery, as long as the rotating part stayed balanced why would it put any further strain on the crank?? wouldnt that be like my commodore having a lightened flywheel or has that put more strain on it too?

where do the carbs get measured from? mouth, venturi, or outlet?

in theory yeah, but these are cheap chinese engines made out of rubbish metal.
iv seen all sorts of china cranks snap from an irk...
125's like yrs, lifan 140's.
also seen a lifan 150 with a snapped crank.. not sure why it snapped tho.

think about it man, on one side you have a clutch mounted directly on the crank and the other an irk.
that a alot of difference in rotating mass.
besides im not sure an irk would help a turbo setup

caries are usually measured at the smallest size in the engine side of the carb... but most chinese carbs are shaped funny and are measured differently

after thinking about it im tending to agree with you on the IRK business, what ur saying is that the crank is trying to accellerate two different weights on each end which could shear it in the middle??? makes sense if i think about it that way, and being as laggy as it probly will be i really want something with a bit of weight behind it anyway wouldnt i?? to stop it stalling at idle..
altho that doesnt help the timing adjustment situation tho...

ill measure the carb tomorrow when i pull it off. i have a feeling its a 26mm.

on the side of the carb up where the throttle slider goes, it has a K a star and an F. i measured the outlet ID as 25mm.

but iv somewhat given up atm because i have no means of making a intake pipe from turb to the head at this point in time. so its on hold till i can.

Latest posts

Back