sx65 clutch issue

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
are you using mineral car engine oil? i hope you mean car brake and ckutch fluid ie hydraulic brake and clutch fluid.
dont worry about bubbles in the reservoir its what comes out of the bleeder nipple
let it gravity bleed until the bubbles stop coming out of the bleeder.

you could possibly have a seal that is turning in the master cylinder

yeah mate mineral car oil, im taking the bike now to my mechanic friends house and he reckons it might even need transmission fluid as opposed to mineral oil, we will see..
before i take it to the shop (if i have to) ill pull apart the master cylinder and see if theres possibly any leaks in there.. im thinkin if it was running a cable clutch i wouldn't have this problem even on a chinese pitbike lol

took it to old mates and he came through :) the clutch works but still could use some adjusting as it drops the clutch the whole way at about the halfway mark, thanks for all the help everyone i appreciate it.

just to clarify.. you mean mineral brake and clutch fluid right? well i hope you do..

you cant put normal oil in there without some ill effect happening..

as for dropping the clutch at half way, that seems pretty standard for a ktm

we use 10wt fork oil in ktm hydro clutches
no brake fluid

used castrol mineral oil, then cleaned the lines out with the BRAKE FLUID, then used transmission oil.
no problems at all, thankyou all :)

hmm so still problems.. had to re bleed the clutch again, went for a decent ride with a mate then got home let it sit for a while and now its doing it again im guessing f-kd master cylinder

we use 10wt fork oil in ktm hydro clutches
no brake fluid

fork oil is hydraulic oil so there should be no problems..

transmission oil is a type of hydraulic oil too.

hmm so still problems.. had to re bleed the clutch again, went for a decent ride with a mate then got home let it sit for a while and now its doing it again im guessing f-kd master cylinder

yep it does sound like the master is a fault...

i guess it wouldn't be a KTM if you didn't Keep Throwing Money at it...

hahaha nice one sean, yeah it seems that way lol when i find another master i'm going to buy a v-force3 reed kit :)
edit: just found a nice looking used master for ktm on ebay.. 100 bucks :)

Last edited:
id say its been damaged due to wrong oil used
as peeps here have recomended brake fluid
its not hard to stuff up

i will say again dont use brake fluid

the 2hand one is prob rooted too

pull it apart carefully clean inspect replace assemble test
cross fingers

havent had a sx65 for a while but im sure the manual recomended dot 5 but that was one of the first hydarulic models

funk, i dont think different oil will do squat to it thats a bit dumb lol
perhaps if you read it right I CLEANED THE LINES OUT WITH BRAKE FLUID!!!!!!!!! fmd.
clunky.. this one reccomends magura mineral oil. stuff spending 25 bucks on 75 mls. ,jh**jygfclajghd['oijhd;oiaudp;oiqwdj RAGE QUIT.

Im going to buy what i want to buy for it. im going to buy the second hand master and im going to keep using trans fluid. then it WILL work properly and i WILL sell it when it does. ****ing hell.

whos dumb?
does it say 'use brake fluid'
did you get it all out?
can you see inside the lines?
did you know not all rubber is made the same ?
did you know not all oil is the same?

its obvious you have not thought about this much
or maybe thats as much as you can think ?

what do i care its your time and money LOL

you asked for help
whos the dumb one who needs help now?

ok knock the bs off in here pls...

back on topic...

this info is taken from a sx60/65 manual TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

KTM
USES BIODEGRADABLE HYDRAULIC OIL FOR THE HYDRAULIC CLUTCH CONTROL
.N
EVER MIX BIODEGRADABLE HYDRAULIC OILS WITH MINERAL OILS
.A
LWAYS USE BIODEGRADABLE HYDRAULIC OIL
SAE 10 (e.g. Shell NaturelleHF-E15)
TO FILL UP THE MASTER CYLINDER
. N
EVER REFILL WITH MINERALHYDRAULIC OIL OR BRAKE FLUID

sean so if i buy the shell oil it says it needs and it doesnt work, its the master
i dont get the bit where it says never mix biodegradable hydraulic oil with mineral oil, but then it says use the bd hydraulic oil? dw, ill get the shell oil bleed it again, and if it doesnt work im getting a new master.

Last edited by a moderator:
ive seen brake seals stuffed because of the wrong fluid
fyi master cyl have seals in them to retain the fluid
therefore the wrong fluid may cause damage
simple really
but hard for some

it still works but doesnt hold pressure. buying a new master, using the oil sean posted up and if it doesnt work im leaving it at that.

last warning guys..

i wont be editing posts again but i will delete the thread...

now if the master isnt holding pressure over time then id be checking a few things...

after its lost its pressure or stops working does the fluid level drop? if so wheres the fluid going? can it leak into the gearbox!!!

also is it possible the master has been pulled apart and the seals put in backwards, seals are made to go in a certain way..

as to the oil issue, i would use transmission oil or just go locate a full mineral based 10 grade hydraulic oil. brand shouldn't matter... mineral based fork oil would work too

it doesnt lose any fluid at all, i havent pulled the master apart yet for them exact reasons, yeah sweet its running trans oil atm and when its got pressure it works very well, funk said to use fork oil... i want to open the master but i dont want to stuff it up, id rather buy one just incase

Latest posts

Back