TDR 125 Rebuild

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kizza1645

Reaction score
Just thought I'd make a little thread about my chinese tdr rebuild project.

Just to clean up all these silly little prejudices people have against TDR.

The service I recieved from them is actually really good. They sent me free sticker kits and parts well after I bought the bike. (months)

To start this is the Orion frame version, theres only one from TDR

It went really good when I got it out of the box, though as some have said the Ducar engine is a little sluggish. Though a new carb and breathable exhaust soon fixed that....

Here are some progessive pics as i change the parts on it and rebuild it.

Put on...

Bi fold levers both sides
Green Lizard Grips
Gold Pro Taper bars
VM26 Mikuni carb
CNC High flow exhaust
ignition lead
16tooth front sprocket
37tooth rear
brake lever
Gold engine plates and covers (currently changed to blue)
monster energy sticker kit
Various engine parts
Full steel joker throttle
CDI box
AN AWESOME, SUPER COOL CHROME VANADIUM STATOR COVER (OPEN CHAIN STYLE TOO)

To put on...

gold rims
innova tires
rear shockpegs

also to anyone directed here by google looking for some information, go through the pages of this thread as there is always updates

Last edited:
couple of things i just want to tell you about, tho you've probly heard them before..

dont expect any big jumps on this type of bike, the frame will fold in half..(evidence is on this site so look if ya want)

and as stated in another thread, your carb is just a china carb... vm26's are very different

vm26-9504-2.jpg

apart from that, make sure you keep us up to date with your build as i recon theres a few others on here with the same bike and would like to see..

ok my advice to spend not to much im going to be nice about this
but if you spend over $100 i wouldn't call it a good thing to do
yes it's fun to build bikes but it's not when your building a frame style bike like that
because there week and there just not compatible for the sport...
if it's for fun then fine but just remember to spend wisely and not spend allot of money on something that wont satisfy you once the frame lets go (if it does)

but don't come snapping back at me because it's only my opinion if your going to spend money on this bike spend it wisely im being nice just trust me
because there's nothing like putting allot of work and money into something then breaking it
it just doesn't feel good no matter if it was a fun project or not it just doesn't feel good

ok my advice to spend not to much im going to be nice about this
but if you spend over $100 i wouldn't call it a good thing to do
yes it's fun to build bikes but it's not when your building a frame style bike like that
because there week and there just not compatible for the sport...
if it's for fun then fine but just remember to spend wisely and not spend allot of money on something that wont satisfy you once the frame lets go (if it does)

but don't come snapping back at me because it's only my opinion if your going to spend money on this bike spend it wisely im being nice just trust me
because there's nothing like putting allot of work and money into something then breaking it
it just doesn't feel good no matter if it was a fun project or not it just doesn't feel good

Thats a good point, and ive seen pictures of the frame snapping. But id really like to know what they were doing to get it too that point?? I'm not expecting to jump anything either, its just a trail bike for me. Good at that too.

I will keep updating, I know heaps of people buying these bikes due to budget, and honestly dont see why not. Money wasnt a problem for me, I just wanted to see what all the bad hype was for.

I'm limiting spending and keeping the whole build under a 1k. I'm trying to get it too look completely different, and if its possible obtain a new frame.

The engine seeems almost impossible to kill, Ive ridden this baby through knee deep grass filled with water after a flood up here in QLD. THe engine was almost submerged and just kept going. The electricals were fine as well, ive seen name brand bikes fail in that kind of water.

Points for potential buyers:
Pros -
Hard going engine
Decent rims and wheels
decent stock brakes
goes reasonably fast stock
comfortable to ride
bolts hold in place to my surprise
engine is smooth starting and doesnt spit smoke
seems decently rust proof

Cons -
terrible stock carb (chuck that **** out straight away)
apparently (evidently) the frame is weak
exhaust is **** and rivets vibrate out - expect to replace it with a month
not the best top speed (replace carb, better gearing and better exhaust will add 15km/h)

Bars are made of **** alluminum and zinc same with clamps
Frame is easily scratched

Overall, for a budget rider looking for some trail fun, I'd reccomend this bike over atomiks. Ive had both, atomiks seem to be built a little worse to be honest.
Plus the service i recieved from atomik doesnt even get near to that from aspowerseller.

Thanks

couple of things i just want to tell you about, tho you've probly heard them before..

dont expect any big jumps on this type of bike, the frame will fold in half..(evidence is on this site so look if ya want)

and as stated in another thread, your carb is just a china carb... vm26's are very different

vm26-9504-2.jpg

apart from that, make sure you keep us up to date with your build as i recon theres a few others on here with the same bike and would like to see..

Yer I chucked the stocked carb litterally straight in the bin. Its a vm26 now.
Its really, really good carb. Idles perfectly and is clean throughout the entire range.

Thats a good point, and ive seen pictures of the frame snapping. But id really like to know what they were doing to get it too that point?? I'm not expecting to jump anything either, its just a trail bike for me. Good at that too.

I will keep updating, I know heaps of people buying these bikes due to budget, and honestly dont see why not. Money wasnt a problem for me, I just wanted to see what all the bad hype was for.

I'm limiting spending and keeping the whole build under a 1k. I'm trying to get it too look completely different, and if its possible obtain a new frame.

The engine seeems almost impossible to kill, Ive ridden this baby through knee deep grass filled with water after a flood up here in QLD. THe engine was almost submerged and just kept going. The electricals were fine as well, ive seen name brand bikes fail in that kind of water.

Points for potential buyers:
Pros -
Hard going engine
Decent rims and wheels
decent stock brakes
goes reasonably fast stock
comfortable to ride
bolts hold in place to my surprise
engine is smooth starting and doesnt spit smoke
seems decently rust proof

Cons -
terrible stock carb (chuck that **** out straight away)
apparently (evidently) the frame is weak
exhaust is **** and rivets vibrate out - expect to replace it with a month
not the best top speed (replace carb, better gearing and better exhaust will add 15km/h)

Bars are made of **** alluminum and zinc same with clamps
Frame is easily scratched

Overall, for a budget rider looking for some trail fun, I'd reccomend this bike over atomiks. Ive had both, atomiks seem to be built a little worse to be honest.
Plus the service i recieved from atomik doesnt even get near to that from aspowerseller.

Thanks

the thing is they use a square twin tube side by side style frame and the thing is it's thin tube metal if it was thicker and stronger i can tell you now it would be not a bad frame but that's how it's like with low end china they don't care about quality they just laugh at you while there making all the money while people get fooled by words

but any way still looks interesting i must say it must be the first ever build of one of these which makes things more interesting

Hey Tdr
You say about poor quality from lower end china companies, but isn't it true you have spent much more then $100 building up a bike around a tdr frame? So personally Kizza you may as well spend what you like on the bike as china parts are so easily interchangable. If later on you had issues with the frame you could then just put all the current parts on the new frame, and bam there is a new bike. Don't worry about replacing things until there broken... or unless you need them in the instance the frame does break and current parts don't fit the new frame (eg. swing arm, exhaust, tank).

Happy building, will be a fun little bike :)

rach this is a totally different frame... the ones they made on that bike are thin steel if it was thicker like my style frame it would be no problem i can guarantee you
and i never said it wouldn't be a fun bike to ride and i wasn't trying to put down kizza in any way...

and also my frame was made by another company i cant remember name lol and they sold there frame to tdr for use but yeah tdr painted them a gay colour

i remember reading something on it

and kizza im really sorry if i put you down but i was just trying to explain something

i guess id be better of shuting my mouth for once lol

I think Rach was more pointing towards what you said about spending money on a low end china. mines just that and to date ive spent bit on it and im loving it..

I think Rach was more pointing towards what you said about spending money on a low end china. mines just that and to date ive spent bit on it and im loving it..

Eh im with your mind set, china parts are cheap as, and plentiful.

Next on my list is to gold plated the entire engine. Not real gold, but the shinny colour.
Should look sickkkkk

For there to be a low end china there must be a high end china and I dont think that is the case.
I think there is bad and really bad.
At the end of the day its what we make of it and how we treat it.
Your doing a great job on your bike mate and im sure your getting as much fun out of it as the people are that have spent big money on their apparent top end china bike.
Keep up the good work mate.

For there to be a low end china there must be a high end china and I dont think that is the case.
I think there is bad and really bad.
At the end of the day its what we make of it and how we treat it.
Your doing a great job on your bike mate and im sure your getting as much fun out of it as the people are that have spent big money on their apparent top end china bike.
Keep up the good work mate.

thanks chief.

Took it out today to an MX track, handled small jumps great, and really has some good kick. Water is its mastery, track was flooded, worked fine the whole time.

All I need is a joker throttle and im sweet, anyone got one?

thanks

you've confused me and maybe a few others... the carb i linked in my first post in here is a genuine vm26 the carb you linked in your wanted thread which you said you just bought is a china 22mm carb...

maybe you bought another i dont know but looking over what you have shown there different...

at the end of the day it doesnt bother me what you have but please call it the correct model or other people are going to be thrown way off when trying to source a carb..

thanks chief.

Took it out today to an MX track, handled small jumps great, and really has some good kick. Water is its mastery, track was flooded, worked fine the whole time.

All I need is a joker throttle and im sweet, anyone got one?

thanks

Where are you from mate? I got a alloy 1/4 or 1/8 turn brand new here

Where are you from mate? I got a alloy 1/4 or 1/8 turn brand new here

gold coast, how much you looking for it? not wishing to break the bank of course...

And to the carb man above your post, I have two tdrs, to the confusion of most forum members. Ones a thrasher and this one is my track bike. and yes i race my thrasher bike too and there very very similar, even my descriptions of them are almost the same except ones older and gets thrashed.

Some more eye candy... or progress

Last edited:
Update: replacing ignition system.
Spit fire lead
better cdi
cables etc

Should allow this bike to fire better and stronger.

Compressions good, but no good when your system doesnt produce a big enough spark.

Probably recommend to owners of this bike.
Costs around $50 to overhaul.
Pics coming when its done.

Man I love this bike :first:

Last edited:
update

Engine head plates now all gold, not chinese cnc crap either...

Gold bash plate, one(1) gold exhaust guard, 1 gold brake lever tip and gold kick start.

Splitfire ignition lead.

26mm intake pipe from dhz

and of course a little video for everyone...before the golding

YouTube - TDR 125cc Rebuild Project

also dw, dw, im tearing those stock decals off soon as my monster kit arrives

Also waiting for a cast billet gear shifter and half size stator cover, the kind that exposes the front sprocket, this one is all chrome and shinny.

Attachments

• DSCF9100.jpg
    DSCF9100.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 52
  • DSCF9103.jpg
    DSCF9103.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 36
  • DSCF9105.jpg
    DSCF9105.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 40
  • DSCF9102.jpg
    DSCF9102.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
lol as i thought,,, china 22mm carb...

but yeah it looks clean and is cooling along nicely

oh and whats the go with the idle slowly getting higher...

4662d1294827820-tdr-125-rebuild-dscf9102.jpg

ahahahha the old idle go up trick!!

Na its the joker throttle, sooooo tighttt, little bumps move the steel throttle wire.
Its not a problem as yet, but eventually when i sell it, ill fix it.

Do you think a gold kick start is overkill?

whats your opinion on the other gold parts?

That carb isnt 22mm either, and ill put money on it, measured it today, 26mm, fits with the dhz 26mm intake parts and gasket...

oh and it isnt clean yet, as you know qld is flooding, but i still ride, so ive ridden through some pretty messed up trails, 2 cans of degreaser and you will see what my bike looks like clean

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back