The 1980 SUZUKI RM50...

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motoluver

Reaction score
Got my new mini. Its a 1980 Suzuki RM50 it is a 2 stroke with clutch, 5 gears and powerband. I swapped my dhz140 and got the RM50+ $300. First thing I did was pulled the carby off and cleaned it. It is a Mikuni 22mm. Had heaps of dirt in it. I tried blowing through the port where the fuel line connects to and I could barely blow through it. So I got the air compressor out and blew out all the gunk and now petrol flows into the carby. I put it back together and tried starting it.... Got it started after a bit but it was running lean. I rev it and it revvs off its tits for 5 seconds before returning back to idle. So I dropped the needle 1 position, kicked it over and it started 1st kick and idles and revvs smoothly. Took it for a spin down the street and it was wheel standing in second gear.... It is a lot quicker then my 140.

Big plans for it already. Ill be rebuilding the motor soon. Ive got thumpstar forks going on it tomorrow. Will be fitting crf50 tank and plastics and doing it up using quality parts like five-0....

So basically a 50cc 2 stroke mini the same size as a crf50 what will smoke a 140cc 4 stroke :)

Its pretty dirty atm I need to wash it.
mn0pxy.jpg

2co6ers.jpg

Last edited:
sweet i hope the 2 stroke scene takes off in the mini bike world

sweet project mate.. this will be awesome.. i have just bought a second frame, swinger and forks for a project and this is something alogn the lines i am looking at doing.. i want to build something for speed.. my mate races go karts and is seeing about getting a kart motor for it.. will hammer.. his kart has about 28hp... so one of them in a mini will be fun..

cannot wait to see how ur finished product will look

Suzuki says 8hp
SUZUKI RM-RMX motocrossers

Hahaha yehh I got a couple of mates who have/had pitties what are looking for KTM50s,65s and kx60s after riding my RM.

Going to give it a wash and heavy degrease now so more pics later.

Last edited:
i think i might have to go find an old shitty one and do up for a project bike

Yeh there was a fully restored one on the other week for $500. Tried fitting thumpstar forks today but the forks came off a crf50 style frame so the shaft was too short. We are wrecking my mates neer new DHZ140 tomorrow so im grabbing the usd forks off that. I washed it this afternoon. It took around 10 degreasings and a shit load of pressure washing to get all the oil and gunk off it. Looks pretty clean now.

Im leaving the cheapish usd pitbike forks on it and one day Ill get some good forks, fastace shockies, Im going to fit a plastic tank and crf shrouds on it. Gold or Suzuki yellow rims and hubs. Frame and swingarm braced, frame and swingarm powdercoated or sprayed. Engine rebuild, bore it to 60cc, port and polish,

DHZ usd forks fitted, pro tapers fitted. Next to do on the front end is ASV gold leavers, Five-0 1/4 throttle and hand grips. I cut the high rise bar clamps down and I have to cut down the bars to the "4" mark.
iueb3.jpg

41248006qc2.jpg

Last edited:
this is guna end out a good bike by the look of it. i was thinking of doing the same sorta thing as you but to a DS 80. but not sure how parts would fit on it.
once you get the rear end sorted it will be shmick.

Not much new. Fastace shocks soon to replace them RMs pogo stick suspension. Im going to remove dents out of the petrol tank, sand it down respray it. Repair the side plates and rear mudguard and restore them.
img1385za2.jpg

img1389sp1.jpg

Last edited:
You can get the dents out of the tank by filling it with water and sticking it in a chest freezer ..... you don't have to fill the entire tank ..... just make sure the part with the dents is below the water line .... the same method can be used for getting dents out of pipes ......

For shocks ... you can probably find a set of Boge Mulhollands ..... Fast Ace mono shocks will be way too stiff with two of 'em on there ......

Maybe a pair of Kitaco shocks will work since they are pretty piss weak as a single shock .... they're basically one shock out of a paired set .....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back