The 1980 SUZUKI RM50...

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can get the dents out of the tank by filling it with water and sticking it in a chest freezer ..... you don't have to fill the entire tank ..... just make sure the part with the dents is below the water line .... the same method can be used for getting dents out of pipes ......

For shocks ... you can probably find a set of Boge Mulhollands ..... Fast Ace mono shocks will be way too stiff with two of 'em on there ......

Maybe a pair of Kitaco shocks will work since they are pretty piss weak as a single shock .... they're basically one shock out of a paired set .....

Yeh thats how im doing it, the water and freezer trick. What if the Fastaces are adjusted to the "softess" mark?? Where can I get boge mullhollands? Would they be good shocks for the RM?

The Fast Ace shocks have 250 lb springs so even at the lowest settings 2 would add up to 400 lbs + .... :p

You find Boges now and then mostly on ebay US ....... but they've gone up in price lately due to all the crazed XR kooks who'll pay stupidly high prices for things .... There used to be a guy selling Boge Orcas for $50 US + $35 to OZ a pair BRAND NEW .... but he's sold out now .... I grabbed a set for my twin shock XR 75 rebuild .......

I found some info Boge Mulhollands on Planet Minis :

275 & 300mm shocks - Planet Minis

How long are your stock RM50 shocks ? BTW I've got an RM50 pipe here ..... My brother-in-law was going to rebuild and restore one but the dork in the US wrongly sent us a JR50 pipe at first ... then by the time the RM pipe got here my relo copped out and I got stuck with it ...

You'll most likely find cheap shocks from a scooter place in Asia ... :p Or Motorcycle Accessories Supermarket might sell stock type shocks in the right length ........

The RM shocks are the same size as fastace shocks... How stiff do you think it would be with 2 fastaces on with the lowest setting available??? Right now I can pretty much go over a little rut and the shocks bottom out. Yeh what type of pipe is it???? Just a stock one or an aftermarket one???? Ive heard rumors that ktm50sx pipes fit on the RM50s????. I would love to get a new muffler for it as its loud as fuck and you cannot repack the muffler.

Just ONE 250 lb shock would be too stiff since there's basically zero leverage increase where your stock shocks are located .....

IF you moved the shocks forward at the bottom then the leverage would be increased ...... They moved the shocks forward at the top to make them STIFFER than stock .....

IF you could get a pair of softer springs you might get them to work but the damping will more than likely also be way too much even at the minimal settings ..... the rebound damping has to be strong to resist the force of the spring ......

Have you thought about fitting a pitty "A" swingarm and one Fast Ace mono shock ?? A relo fitted a straight swingarm and shock to an XR75 and the swingarm was a bolt on fit ........ he just had to weld on a top mount and it works really good considering the shock is a bottom of the line stock Atomic type shock ...... a BS-66 RC would be stacks better .......

The pipe I've got is a stock RM50 pipe with no muffler ......

So what do you think I should do??? A style swingarm or a straight swingarm??? I have a DHZ140 straight swingarm sitting in the shed. I might end up using that.

Edit. Just checked the shed, its not there. My mate must of sold it.

Last edited:
img1392cp8.jpg

img1393ax0.jpg

1980 or very early 80s. Yeh man it ripps. Its good to be back on the 2 strokes.

There was a very good condition one near maitland for $400 on ebay not long ago.

so compared to to like a lifan 140 or 150 how do ya reckon it performs if you was racing a 4 stoke against that rm would ya flog it or isnt there much difference just curious :)

the rm would feel powerfull because of power band but i reckon the 140 or 150 would have a bigger top speed.

We had my mates RM50 maxed out at 85kmph on the road a few years ago. The RM will kill a 140 if the motor was in the same frame. Right now it handles like shit because of the pogo stick suspension.

The RM is quicker and accelerates faster once in power band.

i just signed up to this site today, i been thinking about buying a pitbike with me tax return got budget bout 1200/1400 dependin on wats left after takin care of some financial issues, but aftr reading this thread i kinda feel like drivin few hours away to me olmans place to pick up my 78 model RM 80, and doin quite few mods to it, i dunno wat the top speed of the bike is, did put a speedo on it but that only when upto 70 and i bent the needle pretty bad on one hunting trip, i got it as a kid when i was 10 years old for chrissy present, i can still go there every six months give it few kicks in the gut and runs nicely, had it now for 12 years and motor has prolly only done bout 100 hours since its last rebuild, it still got shitload compression, but only prob i find with it is when its cold it does not like to idle

do it. mod it up. mod it up good. ahahah. it would be unreal to have it fully don up but personally im not patient enough, cause it takes a fair bit of time, effort and coin. i just like to pay one lump sum then be rippin round. ahhah. but i have next to no bike experience, if i was a mechanic or sumfin id do it, im a chippy tho, so houses are my thing, they are worth lot more too. hehe.

Latest posts

Back