throttle problem

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddy

Reaction score
ok well today i went to put sum new pro taper bars on my dhz.. all was going fine, untill it was time to put the throttle back onto the bars. i went to tighten it and no matter how hard i tighten the 2 screws on the throttle it is still loose on the bars,...

also i found that my old bars had a small hole in them and i little bit that stuck out on the throttle, the pro tapers did not so i just filed the little bit away on my throttle. was i ment to drill a hole in the pro tapers or is there another reason that my throttle wont go tight on my bars..

cheers

there isnt much to take a pic to now, all it is now is that if i put the throttle on and tighten the screws up as much as the can go i cant still move the throttle

yh i thought about tape but i would hav thought that they should just fit. any 1 had this problem befor? any1 know y they dont fit?

Drill em...the tab is a locator to get the throttle in the right position and also to stop it twisting on the bars.
Drilling them isnt hard just make sure you get the location of the hole spot on, and start out small....you cant un-drill a hole that is to big

im 99.999999% positive that fat bars still retain the std size of 7/8 at the throttle/grips.

Drilling your bars will not hurt them (unless you over drill and you get a sloppy throttle..lol)

I had the same issue.i just wrapped tape around it until i got my new throttle/carbie set up organised.
In my opinion if the throttle clamp needs a pin and a hole to keep it in place its not good quality and not worth putting on good bars.

I had the same issue.i just wrapped tape around it until i got my new throttle/carbie set up organised.
In my opinion if the throttle clamp needs a pin and a hole to keep it in place its not good quality and not worth putting on good bars.

every road bike ive owned has had the locating pin inside the throttle assy, its not about poor quality in the slightest...
And even the china bike i just purchased has it, so when i fit my fat bars (need some clamps) ill be drilling them too.

cheers for all the input guys, just another question, will i still hav this same problem if i upgrade to a 1/4 turn throttle? will i still need the hole for the pin or will it just tighten with the screws n stay in place?? also can sum1 explain how to install the cable to a 1/4 turn throttle

cheers for all the input guys, just another question, will i still hav this same problem if i upgrade to a 1/4 turn throttle? will i still need the hole for the pin or will it just tighten with the screws n stay in place?? also can sum1 explain how to install the cable to a 1/4 turn throttle

Not sure mate, ive only played around with std/factory throttle assy's but im sure there are plent on here that can help ya....Good luck and keep us posted (might help for when i get one)

Wayne

lol you all Fail pretty much...

the locating pin on the throttle, is the bit that needs removing, or filing off i should say. some cheaper chinas use them as a locating dowel. As minifighter siad, it's to stop them sliding or rotating on the bars... simply file the dowel off, and that throttle can be used on any bars...

however, some china bars are 7/8'' in diameter, some are 22mm, and some are somewhere in between... hence the reason some throttles slide easily onto bars, some need some filing, and some dont fit at all, and some are like a sausage down a hallway...

the locating pin on the throttle, is the bit that needs removing, or filing off i should say. some cheaper chinas use them as a locating dowel. As minifighter siad, it's to stop them sliding or rotating on the bars... simply file the dowel off, and that throttle can be used on any bars...

however, some china bars are 7/8'' in diameter, some are 22mm, and some are somewhere in between... hence the reason some throttles slide easily onto bars, some need some filing, and some dont fit at all, and some are like a sausage down a hallway...

without sounding like a smart ass Thump cause thats def not what im about, i like to learn and always listen...but are you saying that when i change my bars from clip ons to fatties on my firestorm i should have filed off the locator tab?
the switchgear also had this tab and my first thought was to remove it....so i did and something as basic as turning the indicator on made the gear slide around so.....after a few calls i was told to drill the bars...so....after doing this and buying a new switchgear, there perfect, and ive done it to 4 bikes now with spot on results on all...NOW im only new to minis and maybe your right re them but my experience with full size bikes is not to remove the tabs.

annnnnd breath...lol

Wayne

Was not the case for me.I filed my pin off and put the throtle on my new pro tapers and although the clamp does all the way up its still lose on my bars but my new 1/4 turn is beautiful on there.

Latest posts

Back