TMY's MSO 140S

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMY

Reaction score
Just got back from my trip to MSO to pick up my new toy.

I haven't put it together yet so ill grab some photos then.

I have a quick question though, along with all the other procedures of running the engine in, how hard can i push it? Is it like a car? if i drive it to softly in certain gears, then those gears will become weaker? Should i only half throttle? Three Quarters? Occasional full?

Any advice is good.

Different people say different things, I just ride usual and don't rev it flat out..
But I'm guessing this is ur first bike so you probably don't have a 'usual' riding style.
Just don't rev the crap out of it, use all the gears, remember to change the oil fairly regularly while running in the bike..
Other then that, the bike is reliable and shouldn't need anything done to it..
Cheers.

Change to some good oil. MSO recommences, as I remember, Motul 1000 then after 3 tanks of gas new Motul 1000 and then after another 3 Motul 5100. I'm sure Linda/Ken have given you the two papers you should follow.
Oh - ALL bolt/nuts need locktite! Then....

Ride her like you stolen her!

Last edited:
just ride it, going soft on run ins is a myth.

Yeah had a good chat to ken about it. Got it all down packed, just thought i would double check on how hard i can push it.

Consider it stolen :D

when running in a motor its crucial that the it run in such a way that the rings wear evenly around the cylinder.

let the bike warm up before doing the acceleration runs. a short ride will do.

Cause my bike can be road registered, (but wasnt at the time i ran it in) i ran it in around my estate did a few laps a day, if you can silence your bike while doing this it would be benefical cause your repeating the burst of acceleration each time and you may find the general public wont like it.
Find a place with a long straight with no or low traffic, a steep long hill is good for deaccelerating down too.

do burst of acceleration 50% - 100% step up the throttle each time you do a burst (accelerate fast but not exceeding into a extreme rev range) then let it de accelerate, alllow time for adequate cooling. De acceleration is very important in sealing the rings.

repeat this numerous times.

change the oil after a few rides of doing this and use mineral oil not synthetic.

don't let the bike sit there and idle or rev it under no load this wears bore and rings unevenly and doesnt seal the bore properly.

dont labour the engine (low revs)

Last edited:
Yeah basically ride it as normal but without holding it at a constant rev. Do lots of gearing down as dabomb mentioned with deceleration.

Congrats on the new ride.

as the guys have pointed out this is how i ran my 140S in and the motor is nice and strong. Took mine straight to the kart track and rode it like normal.

haha awsome, a go kart track would be a great place to run in a motor!

Hi TMY, You should be pretty happy with this bike. I got one just before christmas and I finished breaking it in last week. I took it away last weekend and rode it hard all weekend, it didn't miss a beat. Just make sure you know or learn how to start it properly. Always find TDC(top dead centre) and then kick it hard and you won't get any kickback or wreck your starting gear. They are a great bike and I recommend them highly.

Cheers for all the feedback guys. It will come in very handy. Yeah got the low down on TDC. Ken was really good, considering i stuffed up an email which was suppose to confirm pick up. Rocked up out of the blue, rang them and he came down just like that. Then had a chat for a good half hour about all the procedures and what not. Really just eager to get it all run in and ride it.

Another question while Im at it. Would there be Dramas if i used 98 or 95 Octane fuel? I'm more then happy to use regular unleaded (not e10) but would the engine benefit from a higher octane, like a car?

Cheers.

Yes Ken & Linda are very very helpful and it is much appreciated.
I just use regular unleaded in mine but some of the other members on here might be able to help you out with this question.

i just run watever is around either bp ultimate left over from the race bike or just whatever servo is on the way seems to like either.

Yes Ken & Linda are very very helpful and it is much appreciated.
I just use regular unleaded in mine but some of the other members on here might be able to help you out with this question.
Out of curiosity what size UNI Filter do you have? You notice a difference?

that fuel wont cause no problems!
you only take advantage of higher octane ratings when ur compression ratio is higher.

Thanks,

Had a few issues yesterday. Started off with the fuel running into the Carby then straight out the drain pipe. So the bike would start every now and then but not idle. Ended up undoing the screw at the bottom of the carby and giving it a good wipe. then tightening it. This stopped the fuel flowing out of it and it would idle on choke. but still wont idle off choke, even after leaving it for a few minutes to warm up. I'm on my way now to go buy some more oil and change it again, in hope that this time it will idle off choke.

Latest posts

Back