to jap or not to jap

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sol

Reaction score
noob questions from scratch
sorry for any over asked questions but searches arnt really helping
please link me to some good threads

im thinking of buying a crf 50 and building it up 88 kit 4speed
but then i look at the kits that are getthng fitted and correct me if im wrong but there all made in china( not that ive heard any bad things about the tb kits)and by the time i change the parts theres not much honda left

alternitivly buy a big bore china and be done with it and just replace the crap stuff

1.is there any modle crf 50 to miss as parts arnt as interchangeable

2.is there any china engines that the gbox will straight interchange with a crf50 for the 4 speed(as dead china engines are a dime a dozen)

3. will a ct110 engine bolt straight in or even a big bore china

4. what heads flow best and what cams have the most lift/ duration

5. is the honda frame going to take the pace im not planing on going too mental but i do want it to be safe it will mainly be used to chace the little fella on his pw why hes learning
6. and whats the cheapest and easy way to source a manual clutch

thanks in advance sorry for any over posted stupid question

Last edited:
tb parts are pretty good but not as good as the leading brand names like takegawa or kitaco but like most things there expensive... but you get what you pay for.

Takegawa 4 Speed Tans kit CRF50 - Japan Minis - CRF50 - Big Bore & Engine Kits - Takegawa 4 Speed Tans kit CRF50 - TBolt USA, LLC
Takegawa 88cc kit EM Race Head CRF50 - Japan Minis - CRF50 - Big Bore & Engine Kits - Takegawa 88cc kit EM Race Head CRF50 - TBolt USA, LLC

dont know if any china boxs fit.

the frames are generally ok for basic riding tho most people fit a cradle kit on them

ct110 motors hand different engine mounting

as far as im aware all crf50 models are the same..

Sean covered everything just about..

What more do you want ? the most flowing head , would be the pricey ones lol... the Dohcs seem to make the most power , then theres the taky +r head , kitaco se heads , all make plenty power on a 124 setup
but i dont think it is really necessary in a 10" stockish chassis.

Cheapest manual clutch would be the TB . would hold up fine to a moderate powered 50 engine
Classic Honda 50's Australia - TB Manual Clutch Kit [TBW0954]

I would brace the frame to be safe , they can bend quite easy.

thanks for that 1 more question with the manual clutch set up will the clutch start and can they be started in gear

thanks for that 1 more question with the manual clutch set up will the clutch start and can they be started in gear

You can't kick them in gear.

By the time you add a TB 88 kit with race head, 4-speed, manual clutch, you're crowding triple the cost of a drop in 125-140 engine. Dunno what the market is in OZ, but a good running CRF engine should sell for almost enough to buy the bigger Chinese motor. They come with the clutch on the mainshaft, 4 gears, and decent power, stock. Should last fine in your application. Heck, even the 90cc(86) 4 speed autos are a riot for backyard bashing, and leave a left hand free for holding your favorite beverage;)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back