Top dead centre

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GooseMan

Reaction score
Hi, adjusted my valve a couple of weeks back and since it has been blowing a lot of smoke, did a compression test and found my rings are fine. So I figure I must have got my valves wrong, I didn't find top dead centre properly. So how do I find it, got the covers off today and can see a mark on the cog which the timing chain is on but don't know what too line it up with? I have a YX 160 with no TB parts.

fly wheel timing marks are at 12o'clock
Cam gear timing marks are at 9o'clock

There is miles of info on here about it.

take inlet valve cover off and start turning the engine over (anti clockwise) once you see the valve go down keep turning the fly wheel slowly until it come back up, now continue slowly turning the fly wheel until the "t" lines up with the mark in the case, that is tdc and you can adjust both your valves from there, if you were to line the "T" up on another complete rotation of the fly wheel the exhaust valve would almost be close and inlet starting to open and you you fluff them up big time....

True TDC is smack bang in the centre of the two extremes of piston rock over (centre position of piston dwell and conrod big end /crank pin swing ) at the "top of the stroke"...

Latest posts

Back