Uncle Thump's "Desert-mini" Build... :D

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thump*140

Mini Riders Legend
Reaction score
Ok, i know this is the wrong section I-Thump, it aint a review, it's a build thread... i'll edit and move when the time comes, and i find somewhere useful to stick it.... ;)

For awhile now i've been wanting to build me a mini for belting about the bush... as a few of you have probably heard, me and Hillz have been scouring Egay for an AGB29 on the cheap... so far without any luck...
I wanted a bike like the AGB29 for two reasons... frame geometry and wheelbase, and build strength... most of you are aware of my 140 "poofy yellow bling bike"... awesome fun to ride, scary fast top end, and a brutal power delivery... it's also twitchy as an Emo kid at a bikie bash.... Given i dont jump it much, and spend most of my time on it belting through the scrub, or fast flowing firetrails, a twitchy, tall mid-size CRF style bike isnt what i want... So the time has come, the walrus said, to retire the 140, tidy it up, and hang it behind my bar... awesome talking point, and heaps better than a Tooheys New barmat....
I never did a full build thread on my 140 sadly, and the Blitz thread is more of a review, and how to fix a Blitz and make it better... so this one is more of a dedicated build thread, from ebay purchase, to the finished project... and will no doubt be full of rubbish, my dribble, and Hillz flaming me for building a "MiniBlitz"... :D

So i found this on ebay the other day.... and it got my attention... I have no idea what brand it is, who makes it (mikilon at a guess) or even the model designation...
BUT... it looks to me suspiciously like someone threw an atomik blitz or kuda pro in the drier, and threw some shrinkie KTM plastics on it... As far as i can tell from the pics, it utilises basically scaled down Blitz parts... that being the case, i have confidence in the frame strength for it's intended purpose, and the rest of the stuff, i know what i'm dealing with...

So here's the plan... assemble the thing and set up properly, test it out, evaluate it, do a review and make it available for other members to test ride STOCK on the SA ride day... get a bit of feedback, then go nuts on it... to a point...

Turf the 125 generator motor, and for the transplant, i'm going a bit different... instead of doing the usual 155z crate motor, then wondering if i'm going to have case issues, gearbox issues etc etc, i'm going with a Lifan 150... Yes, i know they have kickstart issues. Yes, i know there arent many mod parts available... Dont care... building something different, and where this one will differ, is the initial set up of the motor... I'm going the same route i did with the 140... Cam, IRK, OKO, Hydraulic clutch, ported head, port-matching the manifolds etc etc... I'll also tear down the motor and give it a thorough going over with the dremel, taking off all casting marks, any imperfections i can find, tidy the dags, then reassemble... It's worked with the 140, and i've not had a single problem either with reliability, performance, or kickstarts!!!!!! being a bigfoot (17/14 tyre combination), high speed stability should be good, and it'll be geared similar to my 140... i'm looking for top speeds in excess of 120... if i can do it on a 12'' rear'd 140 midsize, i'm looking forward to seeing terminal velocity of something bigger, more stable, with more motor under it...
yes there are quicker motors out there, but hey, if i went the same route everyone else did, where's the fun in that... standing out from the crowd for all the wrong reasons, is half the fun in building a polished turd...
I'm really looking forward to being one of the first owners of this style of bike, and will be doing a "normal" review on it as well... A few of the "big bike" features are already setting me up for a win... Long wheelbase, raked out geometry, nice flat swingarm angles, Staintune-style muffler, as opposed to the usual minibike muffler fare etc etc, will all help in making this bike, the stable high speed weapon i tried to make the 140 into...

Anyway most people will have stopped reading by now, so here's some pics to get your attention....

So what do you all think? i'm open to ideas and suggestions... I've outlayed the platform of the bike, i'd like to hear ideas and opinions, without the usual "It's china, it will be shit, you wont get it to go fast"...
If you've read the Blitz thread, then you know a polished turd, can be a fast turd indeed... ;)

25307-uncle-thump-s-desert-mini-build-1.jpg

25307-uncle-thump-s-desert-mini-build-2.jpg

25307-uncle-thump-s-desert-mini-build-3.jpg

SIk graphics Bro

will be good to see what you will turn it into!

Looks like 85 forks would be a easy fit. maybe abit of shortening.

SIk graphics Bro

will be good to see what you will turn it into!

Looks like 85 forks would be a easy fit. maybe abit of shortening.
Yeah the idea is to fit YZ85 (or similar) forks to it... Going by the Blitz build, i'd say a few yammie bits may have been "imitated" for the KTMMiniBlitz..

As for the "Menstor" graphics, well, my opinion of Monster/Rockstar graphics kits is well documented, thus either some Euro-trash or Custom graphics will be the order of the day. Monster, Menstor ( i thought Ed Harry's was a men's store??) and Rockstar graphics can go f*** emselves as far as i'm concerned... lol..

so how much did they cost you from ebay?
$960 buy now delivered chinaboy. :) i thought it was reasonable price wise... :D
ha ha a MINIBLITZ, frame does look very similar from a quick glance.

yeah that's what i thought too... means solid, also means heavy... :( bit more motor should fix that though...

mate what engine is that...
its obviously a 125 as you said but it looks like it has a wanna be klx style head on a lifan pattern engine.

good luck with the build, hope it all goes to plan...

mate what engine is that...
its obviously a 125 as you said but it looks like it has a wanna be klx style head on a lifan pattern engine.

good luck with the build, hope it all goes to plan...

i believe the one in the pic is actually a 150... according to the ebay listing, the 150 comes with an oil cooler, but the 125 does not... i spy an oil cooler, so i'm guessing that's some weird 150cc with KLX head as you stated... i've seen weirder things... found a miniquad on egay yesterday, with an electric start, 4spd semi auto 150 with reverse... WITH A SUICIDE SHIFT!!!! Pure Awesome!!!!
as far as i know, the bike i bought, has a 125 engine, kickstart only.... will see what i have when it's delivered... it will only be in there as long as it takes to save up for a lifan 150 anyways.. :D

bahahhaah!!! what could possibly be more homo than a monster sticker kit?? a MENSTOR sticker kit! This thread is gonna be epic win :D

I see what ya mean about the long wheelbase, it's bloody huge

Damn straight it's the homo-est of the Homo sticker kits... not only is it gay, it's a friggin COPY of the GAYEST sticker kit available!!! ha ha ha!!!
and yeah, i'm curious to see just how big this thing is... it doesnt look like a bigfoot, ie wheels out of proportion etc, and that 150 motor looks teeeeny tiny in there...

* goes off looking on ebay for orange and black billet bling*

it looks much better than there 250cc version which looks out of wack with the size of the wheels it has(2 big)

and looking at the ebay add of the one you got, it seems that they have changed the head shape and are using different style tappet covers cause there not yx(klx) style either.. be interesting to see some close up pics of it once you get it

yeah i have a feeling the pics are of quite a few different bikes... the staintune style muffler is on the 250 model after closer inspection (which i reckon is a Kuda pro with KTM plastics judging by the stance of the thing, and general proportions, but without lights) and there is a pic in there with a black frame, alloy brake lever, and different engine again... oddly, this one does *look* like a full size bike... so the proportioning i reckon is pretty good compared to other bigfoot bikes.. this is more of a scaled down big bike, than a scaled up minibike... once it arrives, i'll be posting a lot of real detailed pics in a different review thread, with engine type, numbers etc... this one is an odd duck as far as parts go...

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ah

thats funny

good choice on the lifan idk what anyone says there better than the rest

and there's not such thing as kick start issues people are the issue (will elaborate later)

yeah i agree coolee... funny that my 140 runs a 7mm non-decomp cam, slightly bumped compression and a billet kickstarter, and i'm yet to have kickstart issues... mind you after 12 years riding big bore thumpers, if i cant find TDC by now, i may as well give the game away...

PS: My KTM MiniBlitz will whoop your chinaworx 150 now... cow pats at 80 feet, now the capacity playing field is level... :D

"It's china, it will be shit, you wont get it to go fast"
Haha...gl with the build mate..will b good 2 c it finished...Frame looks pretty solid.

Latest posts

Back