V2 Head issues

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mx_rider_51

Reaction score
I have just installed a V2 Head, Cam and Piston (all came in an Upgrade kit from DHZ) to a 155z, I also installed a 26mm OKO flat slide.

The carby settings are whatever comes stock, but i have been told that this is good (I live in Canberra)

I linned the timming up so magneto is at 12, the marks on the cam sprocket are at 9 and 3.

The bike started within 3 kicks and has a heap of compression but feels like the top end sign off early. The revs increase but the power does not.

Any help would be great.

Part of it depends on which cam you got. The 155 will rev well past the power peak of a V2 head, with the bigger 577 or standard 473 job. Valve float takes over around 11K, a tad higher if you shim the springs and add the TB Ti retainers. Heavy valves and rockers.

Like Woggy said, jetting may need more work. 26mm carby is a bit small for a V2, as is the stock manifold. You guys down here seem to like the OKO, but I haven't had any luck. PE28 is what I run, on a TB manifold.

No offense, but the "un-box & install" method can leave you quite a bit off on cam timing. Tolerances and such.

did you make sure that the cam timing was correct,and then kept the cam in place as you put the sprocket on or did you just have the cam wherever and only made sure the sprocket was lined up you may be a few degrees out if so
other than that like the others have said , a jetting issue

100 main is fine for a standard setup but with a V2 you'd want more, id go for a 104 main jet.

but yeah like said above, the cam also depends on how high the engine is going to go..

if you ordered the head kit and didnt specify the cam then you will get the small one.. S35 cam is the go..

28mm or 30mm carbs are good too. 26 is fine for stockers and easy to setup..

I have not found out what cam it is yet, but when the cam is in the two threaded holes on the cam are at 12 and 6, and i have been told the cam is in the right way when it has free play either way. As far as the carby goes i am ordering some new jets and will try that. Thanks heaps for the help. Once i find out the Cam ill let you know

OK I think i found the problem.
I pulled everything apart. The timing was right the way i had it. However I re-checked the valve clearances and the Inlet valve rocker cover had come loose, so there was a big gap. ( I did the vlave clearances when i first installed the head, i must not have tightened it enough). I set the valve to .003, bike started first kick and revs fine i could not ride it as it is too late.
Thanks everyone for their help with this. I hope it rides fine tomorrow

I rode the bike today and it goes great. Thanks everyone for your help

Latest posts

Back