very un-technical exhaust nut question!

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinytim

Reaction score
is it difficult for everyone to do up there exhaust? the nuts actually touch the pipe when i turn them and obviously getting a tool in there is also a *****!

oh and has anyone else had there muffler full apart? lol 2012 outlaw 160r

sorry for the boring-ness of this post!

My nuts don't touch my big bore exhaust which is the same as the outlaws exhaust.
Theres 2 ways 2 do them up, either with 1/4 drive ratchet set or take bashplate off and do it with a spanner.

VVV re-rivet the muffler with steel rivets VVV

Last edited:
yeah as above,
with the muffler falling apart, they are probably just using cheap pop rivets when they put them together in china.
re-rivet the muffler back together, use some steel 3/16" pop rivets, 1/2" long so they grab inside,
the steel pop rivets will last longer than alloy pop rivets.....

i have a big bore pipe on my Lifan 150, and just use a 10mm open ended spanner to do them up, i leave the bash plate on too when i do it.
possibly the flat flanges on the deep nuts are rubbing on the pipe?

Do you have the 8mm or 6mm threads to mount your exhaust on, if your not sure what size spanner do you use to tighten them?

the muffler wasnt riveted, it had small grub screws that had worked loose, like every other nut and bolt on the bike! :D locktight has since been added!
there's definitely not enough room to get a ratchet on there,
im going to assume the nuts are not the orginals.... they are not deep nuts and i use a 14mm spanner to tighten them.

You can def get 13mm nuts for your exhaust which should be enough to clear the pipe, 14mm nuts will touch as they are to wide for that.You may even be able to get a nut in that thread that requires a 12mm spanner to tighten.

On my LXR im running a T-4 Pipe and the nuts sit very close to the pipe. The only way I can do it up is with an open end spanner.

Latest posts

Back