What gearbox oil to Put in 1983 kdx 250?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matty_77

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just got my kdx out of the shed and I think i should change the gearbox oil as it has never been done before as it has only got 1200 original kms

What grade oil do I use?

You would get away with transmission fluid or hydrolic oil, my bike runs the same oil in both gearbox/engine, and so do all pit bike engines so I'd say you would get away with either!

Yikes. That's a long time for condensation and breakdown. I'd plan a pair of swaps. First one with ATF, and a gentle ride. Then swap to a good brand of cycle-trans-specific oil. Bel-Ray, Motul, most of the OE's, Spectro, etc. What ever decent stuff the local shop has. 4-strokes are forced to compromise and share oil between engine and trans. New thumpers have split the engine to use the "right" oil for each of the dissimilar tasks. Any engine oil would be better than the ancient stuff in there, but gearbox oil has added shear-strength in it's molecules.

Last edited:
Yea mate knew it was a 2stroke had a kdx200... GDFP is right... But also like he said any new oil is better then the old stuff.

Yeah true and also as the filler docent really have a dipstick do you fill it upto were that little screw is on the side of the engine? As in undo the bolt and wait until the oil is up to the level

the clutch cover will have the amount oil needed written on it..

but yes also you can use the small 6mm bolt as the level indicator..

Latest posts

Back