Whats the Best 85 outta the YZ, RM, CR or KX?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which is the best?

• YZ85

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • CR85

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • KX85

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • RM85

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Go the CRF 250, you will seriously regret getting an 80 as you'll soon think its too small.

an 85 will last me for a few years and then i can sell it and buy a new bike...
im not big enough yet for a 2 stroke 125 and stuff so i want like an 85.

lol you want a 80 an then later get a motovert..hmmm that just confused me there would be no point...

but i will say for a 13yo a 2stoke 80 will be a good bike but i guess it depends on your skill levels, im not saying your a shit rider im saying that if you can handle a bike well at 13 id say go a 125 because in the next 12-18 months you have a few growing sperts and you might find the 80 start to be a lil small but then again if you grow out of the 80 you can just sell it an upgrade

i had a 125 2stroke when i was 13yo, back then it felt like i was riding a 450cc

i would say CR85 but the new one's look like utter crap....

so the best 85 with out a doubt is KTM SX85!!! or the Gas Gas 85 & TM 85

I'm with you Hillz, I don't think you can go past the TM.

Last edited:
yeh but they cost a fortune, its not only the handling capability of a 125 hillz, its im not that tall and mi feet wouldn't touch the ground, also things like they design the gear shifter and clutch levers for ppl with bigger feet and hands, i have very big feet for mi age, im like a size 8 or 9 but mi hands aren't that big... if i ccan test some bikes then i'll give a 125 a shot and see what i reckon, but i could always keep the 85 for say 2 - 3 years, sell it for around 3k and by then i would hav enough cash for a 125 miself.

EDIT: oh yeh and do u guys kno if the yz125 has an adjustable shock, if u can adjust the seat height down from 99cm to say around 90 or just under then i could just fit on it.

Last edited:
Yeah I was looking at the KTM 85 at the shop, its strange, its inbetween a midsize mini and a big bike. Very nice bike though, hydraulic clutch and everything! They're $4,000 new.

You'll be fine on a 125 or 250!! It may seem much much bigger because you've been riding mini's but you'll definately get used to it and grow into it.

EDIT: How tall are you btw? Have a look at this website, it features the seat hieght of the bike and all other information for pretty much any bike. 2002 Yamaha YZ 125 specifications and pictures

Last edited:
mmm, i kno all about the seat heights and so far the best fitting bike i reckon which is SOOOO comfy was a new dhz125 with a seatheight of aroudn 85cmbut i reckon i would go with around 90cm but they are 99cm which is pushing it
ktm 85's are not 4,000!!!!! maybe once they have been demolished bi a rider that reces 24/7, new they are $8,995. i have one of the ktm catalogues.

EDIT: oh yeh and i am about 157- 160cm's tall, but i have a cousin who mi family think i will be EXACTLY like from looks and he was mi height and mi age but he hit a BIG growth spurt and he is now taller than mi dad or uncle, lol. he's i think just under 6 ft.

Last edited:
sorry to double post but just got an email, they don't test ride bikes, well atleas this yamaha place didn't so yeh.
also i think they keep them in boxes or something because i NEVER see them in stores for some reason, i only see like ttr's and pw's or do they keep them in a different section?
watev i get i reckon i'll get a yamaha as dad is about to trade in his r1 so if you but an r1 and yz wateva you would get a rlly great deal and they usually take off some big cash..

EDIT: they said that they don't test them as thye don't have a test track, do you guys know anywhere that do?? i am closest t like Yamaha city (Melbourne) and they are very big so i wouldn't be surprised if they did, yamaha hae their own MASSIBE place over 100 acres, something like 135 ecres but its in NSW....

Nah I saw it at the shop new its $4,000.

If you can touch the flat with your feet on a big bike then its too small for you.

Well you're only a little bit smaller than me so I'd say you could ride 125 or 250 easily.

EDIT: Consider the XR 200, the seat height is 85cm, Im considering getting one but I think I'll go the XR 250.

Last edited:
Nah I saw it at the shop new its $4,000.

If you can touch the flat with your feet on a big bike then its too small for you.

sorry to tell ya but i KNOW that $4,000 is half what they cost, they are $8,995 from ktm, i have a brochure downstairs telling you about them.
so what is a good size? on ur toes but still be able to touch the groudn or wat, the only time u need ur feet on the ground is to kick off and stop...
i hear that they have an adjustable suspension anyway so if i did get one i would adjust the seatheight from 99cm to about 85- 90, the drz125 had a seat height of i think 84 or 85cm's and i was just on mi toes, like my heels were say 1cm off the ground and i had volleys on, also that was a few months ago and i have grown a few cm's since...
eBay Australia: ktm 85cc 2006 model with ring master sticker kit (item 280123102540, end time 18-Jun-07 09:17:18 AEST)
that is a USED one, that wasn't race, if they were raced u can get 'em for 4 grand, there is one for 4 grand but it mentioned he has raced it quite alot..

Last edited:
Consider the XR 200, the seat height is 85cm, Im considering getting one but I think I'll go the XR 250.

I'd say the XR 200 would be good for you.

i don't rlly want to get one of those bikes like a wr or xr etc. i just never considered one and i don't think i ever will, my mate has an xr100 and i would get one of those for a first bike but not now...

Consider the XR 200, the seat height is 85cm, Im considering getting one but I think I'll go the XR 250.

I'd say the XR 200 would be good for you.

Sure Pascal may have experience, but a 200cc for a 13 year old? Your kidding right?

Hell no, I rode a 250 at 13 and Im way small.

i don't rlly want to get one of those bikes like a wr or xr etc. i just never considered one and i don't think i ever will, my mate has an xr100 and i would get one of those for a first bike but not now...

Why you're not doing any backflips, a trail bike would be fine.

Last edited:
no, i want either an 80/85 or 125, i may get an 85 to learn on for a few years and then jump up, 125's are gigantic and loaded with power! borci, with 4 stroke it doesn't rlly matter with size of the engine! it doesn't have powerband or anything so its much easier to ride! i could ride a 250/300 easy, just don't like them.

Dude, Hes a midgit. Leave him alone..
Pascal is this ever actually going to happen or what?

Latest posts

Back