Will this frame cut it?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmadden91

Reaction score
It'd be OK for motard but it's a short frame ... the steering head takes CRF 50 Honda sized 41 mm O/D bearings and those forks use a 12 mm axle which makes fitting good wheels a bit of a PITA ...

It takes the "A" type swinger ...

The grey frame he's selling for $20 is a bargain ... it also takes the "A" type swinger but is 2" longer and is taller so they handle a lot better ... the steering head takes chinese sized 44 mm O/D bearings which fit most forks these days ...

Awesome thanks for your help mate. I might grab that grey one then

Hey mate, where are you planning on racing? There is a great track at Archerfield, next to the Speedway track there....

If you are new to the sport, might be best to get yourself a running bike and then just put motard tyres and slowly upgrade as you go....

Yes , grab it ... it's the good SDG type that's stronger than the later cradle type frames of the same type ...

Yeh im going to race at archerfield somewhere down the track. And yeh I was going to grab a cheap 140cc nitrous off ebay and upgrade where needed, still might. This thing was only $20

@C.J - Just did. Thanks for your help mate, how can you tell the dimensions and stuff? The guy doesnt list them in the ad

Last edited:
I've got 2 of those frames plus others ... I've posted all the info on here a fair while back if you do a search ... (bearing sizes , what forks fit etc etc) ...

They take forks with 645 mm long legs ...

Yeh im going to race at archerfield somewhere down the track. And yeh I was going to grab a cheap 140cc nitrous off ebay and upgrade where needed, still might. This thing was only $20

@C.J - Just did. Thanks for your help mate, how can you tell the dimensions and stuff? The guy doesnt list them in the ad

Awesome, hope to see ya there....

honda crf50 's have an 'A' style swinga... it looks like an A on its side... and the chain goes through the middle...

EDIT: heres a pic

one-07-crf50-dc.jpg

The frame is from this type of bike ...

Google Image Result for http://www.maxrpm.ca/imagemagic.php?img=1trC39fjnL3T59%2FZ29aP4uLX&w=504&h=360&page=popup

And the swingarm on that bike is the best type to get because they're longer ... They use a Fast Ace BS22-AR 270 mm shock ...

You CAN fit a straight swinger and shock ... but you have to make up extension plates to move the top shock mount down lower ...

That frame WAS cheap ... $20 is nothing ... They used to sell for as high as $180 !!!!!! ... If you don't use it you could sell it for more than you paid to someone who's after that type of frame to modify a Honda CRF 50 with ...

yeah not a bad frame, just a shame it doesnt have a cradle.
but it will be fine for motard...

just to fill you in tho, as the item description says its suitable for jumping...its not, the lack of a cradle under the engine stress's the hell out of the engine cases and snaps bolts and pulls threads.

but again, perfect for motard..

Yes , those frames were never designed to run a straight swinger with a forward mounted shock ...

Here's a link to where he can get the proper swinger from ...

Zhejiang Longlifu Industry & Trade Co.,Ltd.-www.tdrmotor.com

He did state that he only wanted to use it for motard ...

The MAIN reason why the top engine mounts broke was due to the fact that they were thin and weak on Honda CRF 50 motors , Jialing GPX 125's , early YX140's , Loncins , early Lifans etc ... They also only used an 8 mm bolt and the fit in the top case mount hole was sloppy ...

I can show a pic of a Jialing 125 top mount splitting on landing from a jump in a Pitster cradle mount frame ... (new bike) ... So a cradle is no guarantee against case breakage since the cradle itself flexes ... You have to bolt the motor and pegs at the bottom first before you bolt the top mount plates on without having to hit the top bolt thru ... otherwise you pre-load the cases ...

Most of the newer motors have beefier top mounts (Lifan 140/150 ... YX150/160 ... Zongshen 155Z ... Daytona 150) ...

Yonks ago , I noticed that DHZ bikes with the non cradle SDG type frames had factory fitted engines which had thicker heavy duty mounting lugs ... whereas all of the crate motors at that time had the weak street bike (step thru) mounts ...

haha damn, I prefer the look of a straight swinger. That being said I love No_crf's bike ;). So would it be a viable option to build up a minitard from this? I wouldnt have a problem with the technical side of things, just the old back pocket slowing me down haha. Or do I just bite the bullet and get a full bike. The problem is, I dont really know if I can justify spending more than say the 140cc Nitrous, unless I get a bit more serious about the racing. So do you think I will get a better quality bike for the money doing it this way? I also have a complete lifan 125 engine to drop in it.

Thanks for all the help guys

Last edited:
building a bike from scratch will always be better as if you buy a complete bike then youll find yrself upgrading most of the standard parts and tossing the rest so thts money down the drain.

but having said tht if your just after a basic motard bike then buy a nitrous and add motard wheels

Cheers, well I figure if im going to do it, I might as well make it competitive. Might just make it a long term project.

Hi jmadden
I built my bike from scratch I can say that I could have saved money buying a bike but the sense of achievement having built it was worth the effort for me, plus I got the bike I really wanted without compromise. Although it is still an ongoing development project.
To really be competitive in minitard you will need more than a stock lifan 125. But the 125 could get started. I would suggest that you should come out to either archerfield or lakeside and talk to some of us and check out the bikes.
If you have any questions regarding tard bikes post em up in minitard section we are mostly a friendly group. Except for the no_crf50_here guy watch out for him he’s trouble lol, they tell me he hates tyres and thinks they all must die.
Tina

haha thanks Tina, Yeh the 125's going in another project im doing, the tard will get at least a 140. Thanks for the advice I will start a build thread if I go ahead building the bike from this.

go to a bolt shop mate, get hi tensile and it will be like 3 bucks each. I gotta get me swinga bolt for my build tomoz, after getting the engine goin tonight:D

Latest posts

Back