Wtb iridescent paint

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you can get it in a spray can from supercheap but is about $18-$20 a can dont know if you have supercheap over there

yer we have supercheap in sunbury but thats the anodizing spray thats the single colour spray. Iridescent paint changes colour when in the sun.
If i couldnt find iridescent paint i was going to go for that anodizing paint as option (b) But thanks mate

think what your referring to is pearl paint...
you can buy it from supercheap in premixed touch up cans... but make sure you know the paint code as the colour on the lids are nowhere near the same as they come out...(lids are lessor quality)

and you wont find it in enamel... it with be acrylic and will need a clear coat

theres also cameleon paint that changes colour at different angles. but you wont find tht in a can unless your lucky enough to get an automotive paint supplies mob to pressure pack it for you, but dont think its easy to paint because it aint...
you need a base coat(different coloured base coats change the final colour) then the cameleon then the clear...

do you think if i sprayed my moddie frame with the metalcast stuff from supercheap and a lite clear pearl over the top would look good because that was my second plan

I just had my frame sandblasted and rewelded on all the welds to make it stronger so i was thinking i would make my frame a unique colour to make it stand out more.

depends... what pearl are you using(type and brand)
and you would have to check that it is compatible as you cant put certain paints over each other

yea sorry bud i was thinking anodised i know what you mean the comilian paint dont mind my spelling hahah

Ok i hope this helps, i have done a little painting in my time and the first thing i can recommend is DO NOT TOUCH THE SUPERCHEAP PAINTS!!!!!!, they are absolute rubbish, only use them if you feel like repainting in 12 months time cos it has all flaked and chipped off.
there are plenty of auto paint suppliers around, olarenshaws in sunshine, body shop in thomastown and many more, get yourselff 500ml of paint mixed up and get some clear to go over the top, if you are going to all the trouble of sandblasting and welding you might as well do it properly and save yourself some time and money down the track.
i heard you live in sunbury, i am near tullamarine, if you need a hand or someone to spray it for you give me a yell and i can help you out.

Thanks guys for your help i think autobarn in sunbury mixes paints ill have a look and see what they say but if not ill just buy some powder and mix it up myself. So the paint from super cheap is crap i dont think ill go down that track then if i am going to waist my time. thanks for the tips BananaMan.

If by iridescent you mean fluro,try going to an automotive paint supplier and asking to see some colour chips/paint samples in dayglo colours.

nah i think he means pearlecent paint. like 2 and 3 layer pearls.

i find colour with pearl in it the easiest to use, yeah sure you dont get the exact effect but it saves you time. and after all its only a frame, you dont see tht much of it...

but if you still choice to go this way then theres a couple of ways you can go about it...
1. spray colour then mix pearl powder in binder and thin and sprayover the top..
2. spray colour then mix clear with little bit of binder and add pearl powder(more powder = more effect) and spray, but you will also need to spray again with just clear to seal the pearl coat...

option 1 doesnt look the best and in some cases the pearl will mottle(go cloudy)

option 2 is the best but most time consuming...

both options should be done with 2 pak paint for the best finish and clarity of the colours and pearl...
and you must use binder.(its a special tinter made for pearl painting)

Latest posts

Back