XR50 engine problem

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dogboy

Reaction score
I bought a 2000 model xr50 and can't get it to run well.

It will kick over and idle for 5-10 seconds then it will just rev up by itself. If I try to ride it it feels underpowered (compared to my 1984 z50r) and stalls alot.

I have cleaned the carb, lubed the throttle and cable and it feels smooth and returns after twisting and there doesn't seem to be any air leaks at the carb/manifold or head.

Anyone with any idea's on what is wrong?

sounds like it's running lean check the pilot air screw stock setting is 1 1/2 turns out from lightly seated,also check the valve's .003 intake and exhaust.
could also be a blocked jet?
i use NULON carb cleaner works very well in spots you cant get to in the carb....

actually i think its .005 for exhaust. thats what ive heard anyways. and even jap bikes break down...from time to time lol

actually i think its .005 for exhaust. thats what ive heard anyways. and even jap bikes break down...from time to time lol

Tits or tyres mate , your always going to have problems honda or not. My 88 mod motor with my vm22 carb did that , I couldnt really fix it. Seemed like an airleak past the choke as it rode rather well with the choke on. I never put too much time into it because old motoxxx helped a brother out with a new carb.

Let me know how you resolve the problem. I've herd spraying carb cleaner into the carb whilst the bike is running to check if it runs better for the second or so when the spray is injected into the carb - airleak!!!. These things are bastards though , where is my EFI!!!!!

yeah i've heard so many different variations but i've always used .003 on exhaust and intake on 50 motors.

I have a 1978 yamaha dt400enduro for trial riding and I have the same problems as you it will ide and start the first kick but it only starts to over rav whan it's warmed up I oiled the thortte cable and go's back and seem's like they's no air leaks any where.

Check to ensure that the cable to carb top seal is intact (rubber boot that's tight fitting on the cable and gets pushed over a flanged part on top of the carb) ... IF it's leaking , the engine will be sucking air which bypasses the jets ... and water , dirt etc can also run in or get sucked into the carb via the cable ...

Latest posts

Back