Yamaha 1981 LB50 PH Chappy resurrection

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Didn't you buy a genuine kick start lever ?

What about this one, it's a forged lever and they are pretty strong.
When the swing out to the side the part where you foot sit's is about 1.5'-2" from the end of the kick start shaft.
The spline's are about 13mm, and they'll clamp down tight on even a 12mm shaft if you use a decent unbreako (12.9) bolt in it, i used this type on my Suzuki DS for a while without a problem.13mm Shaft Kick Start Starter Lever 110 125 140 150cc PIT PRO Trail Dirt Bike ZA | eBay
If your shaft is around that size i'll find one closer to you

Hi 67, yeah, I did get a genuine Yamaha k/s, but it wasn't 4 a chappy, but the spline fit & I jus had 2 bend it so it would clear the pipe. I shouldn't have put the wrench @ the very top of it when I tried 2 bend it, that's all. The guy is shipping me another 2 replace that 1, so I'm gonna bend it from the shaft stead of the end, I shouldn't have a problem. yeah, that k/s ya posted looks like it mite work as 4 clearance, but I don't think the swivel base would allow it 2 go back in2 position w/out hitting the case, the chappy case is set up diff than your bike. I was looking @ that type of k/s, but no1 can cross-ref it 2 fit on other engines. it is a 13-14mm tho so I cant see y they cant. if worse comes 2 worst, I'll get 1 as a bkup, but I don't think they ship to the USA. but I'm sure I'll figure sumthin out by then. Thanks buddy-------twosmoke

Hey 67, I jus thought of sumthin, do you still have that Suzuki DS? or the k/s from it? if ya do, could ya put it up beside the chappy k/s & see if it clears the case? or better yet, test fit it on the kick axle & check the position? I'd prefer a k/s w/a swivel rather than this design, if it fits, jus mite order 1 4 a bkup. thanks a bunch,-------twosmoke

Well Gang, The chappy resurrection is a success! hi my67xr, well, that bkward piston was the culprit all rite! had the scoot out in the street 2day & it was like nite & day! no boggin, revved up nice in 1st gear then grabbed 2nd, but accelerated slowly, but kept revving, I don't think I had enuf street 2 get 2 the powerband, if I did, it woulda really been fast! I'm running a # 40 pilot & a #85 main. had it out 4 bout a half hr then checked the plug & it was black all the way 2 the insulator, maybe 2 rich? the clip is in the middle slot. another thing, the speedo doesn't go past 15 mph, & I knw I was goin wayyy faster than that! ne ideas? The battle is almost over! Thanks so much-------twosmoke

Sorry i haven't had a chance to get the Chappy out, it's packed in my shed behind quite a bit of gear atm.
But if i get the chance i will for you.

Good new's on the bike !!
See what 1 little thing wrong can do when your're trying to chase a problem, it can make thing's very hard to diagnose.
When it's up in the higher rpm's is it sputtering a bit? If so that's another sign of it being too rich.
I would be dropping the main back to a #75 and giving it a decent run, leave the needle clip on the middle slot at least till you have done a plug chop, it's really only for tuning the different transition's of the carby eg pilot to mid, mid to main
Remember you'll need to do a plug chop or 2 to get it jetted spot on.
So top gear held at wot for 10-20 second's, turn it off with the key holding it at wot, and bring it to a stop.
then pull the plug out there and then to read the colour of it, then rejet to what it need's.

The speedo cable might be running a bit dry ?
Take it out the liner and grease it up, might pay to take the speedo head off the bike too,
run a few drop's of wd40 or Inox MX5 down where the cable screw's into and it might free up.

And now i want a decent video of you out on it, i want to hear it powering down the street with it rejetted !!!

Well, it didnt go xactly flawless, I broke the k/s on the 3rd kick, but managed 2 kick it over jus using the shaft, when it sheared off, the metal inside was black! that was the 2nd k/s that broke that way! It started rite up tho. it has the normal 2stroke sputter bout 1/4 throttle,I don't think that's sputtering tho, but when it gets up there in the powerband it revs 2 the moon, w/no sputtering. I havnt gotten it in2 the powerband in 2nd gear, I don't think I have enuf st 2 do it, but will get a lil daring pretty soon. I will have my kid shoot a vid w/his new galaxy s6, jus hope the file aint 2 big 2 send! a #75 is only 1 size bigger than stock, would it make that much of a diff? I'll chk & lube the speedo & cable & see if it helps. if I saw the piston was in bkwds in the 1st place, I wouldn't have had this much fun playin musical jets, now would I? hahaha. thanks 4 the guidance 67-------twosmoke

Hey 67, 1 more thing, that k/s that ya posted, wouldn't the swivel @ the base hit the engine case? thanks,------twosmoke

If the video file is too big upload it to Youtube, or your Google account and paste the link back here.

Gee you're a lucky man!

I just climbed through my shed and dug out my spare Chappy 80 engine, it was in the far back corner.
And then took the forged kickstart lever off my pit bike.
Here's some pic's for you that might show what clearance problem's it may or may not give you

Fitted 1 spline to the left give's more clearance

And go your hardest with these link's,

Here is another style forged kick start lever for a CRF50, it's in the US and it's pretty cheap too at $22.
If this one doesn't give you enough clearance then i don't know what will !
I think you'd need to check the footpath for pedestrian's before kicking it over, otherwise you may just trip one up, :lol:
http://tboltusa.com/store/tb-kickstarter-chrome-z50-ct70-14mm-type-p-9578.html

product_thumb.php

A different one from the same place (this is like mine) but not as cheap at $39
http://tboltusa.com/store/forged-kickstarter-br-crf-14mm-type-p-934.html

product_thumb.php

And another long one from Terry at Firepower Mini's (out of stock maybe?)
www.firepowerminis.net/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=33069
I'm not 100% sure this is a 13mm/14mm one but i think it is.
I don't think you'd need one this long though, even with your high comp head etc

kickstartlever_1.jpg

Might fit? (check clearance at front edge it may hit the clutch cover?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-XR-CR...L08-/261165996560?hash=item3cceb4da10&vxp=mtr

Cheap forged one ex china (4 weeks wait)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/13mm-Kick-S...201349768925?var=&hash=item2ee161a6dd&vxp=mtr

Some china Alloy CNC kick start lever's if you want a bit of bling
These are offset backward's a bit too, so would clear the case better
Some of them are a bit iffy being alloy. But i've used one on a brand new high comp 160cc and it felt good.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-CNC-Kic...ica-/161772562849?hash=item25aa6569a1&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Billet-CNC-...0cc-/331195484305?hash=item4d1cca0891&vxp=mtr

$_12.JPG

$_12.JPG

Hey 67, thanks 4 digging that k/s outta your museum. I checked out your 1st post of that k/s, is it the same 1? that looks like it'll do the trick, it has plenty of clearance & tucks in nice, 1 problem, they don't ship to the US, I have a 3rd k/s on the way from the guy who sold me the other 2 I broke, lucky thing, its his last 1! he better have a chat w/his vendor bout their casting methods tho, if this 1 breaks, then I'm SOL, but maybe figure outta way 2 get the 1 from down under as a bkup! Thanks again 67,-------twosmoke

This one is the same as mine
Cheap forged one ex china (4 weeks wait)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/13mm-Kick-St...61a6dd&vxp=mtr

If you have trouble getting one like that ^, or don't want to wait as long,
i might be able to get one sent to me and i'll forward it on to you if you want to pay postage ?
It'll cost you though, lol
I want a sticker from the US, it's an air cleaner decal for a '61 Ford Falcon, has It's gold with a red surround and has 170 cid special on it.
the seller want's $6 for the sticker, but $17 for postage
Ford Air Cleaner Decals

64-47229.jpg

Hi 67, I meant your 1st post of that kick starter, (post #141) is that the same 1? that last china k/s is no longer available or expired from your last post. the guy who I got the other 2 k/s's from is gonna do sum research on the quality of those k/s's & said he'll get back 2 me, so I may not need that aussie k/s, tho it looks wayyy better, but if he sends it, & I break it again, yours mite be my only option, so I'll let ya know. & how much could the shipping possibly be? hopefully not more than the part! as for the jet, couldn't I get away w/ a # 80? & not a #75? there's an 80 in it rite now & it seems 2 run good, its pretty strong, jus the plug is black prob cuz I wasn't running it @ a constant speed 4 a certain period, maybe put the clip a lil higher? as for that a/c decal, let me hunt around, I have alotta connections for old car parts having built my 1980 Camaro Z28 from the ground up, so I'll see what I can do 4 ya thanks mate,-------twosmoke

Hi 67, that guy is sending me another k/s, a different 1 tho, he's jus gotta locate the boxes he has them in located in his 5000 sq/ft warehouse! another problem has reared its ugly head, I had the scoot out the other day & the low beam of the headlite blew out. then 2nite I was running it on the st w/the hi beam and that blew out 2! WTF? oh, BTW, I put the # 75 jet in it & really didn't seem 2 notice much of a diff, it still takes awile to get into the powerband in hi range in 2nd gear, but low gear is great, revs rite up there. I was thinkin of getting a lil bigger rear sprocket 2 get it up there a lil quicker, when its up there, it goes! this scoot mite even do 50 MPH! could that headlite problem be from not having a flasher relay & no rear bulb? or the rectifier or a combo of both? I do have a new battery installed. thanks again buddy-------twosmoke

Sorry i didn't have internet last night.
I think postage would make shipping from Au too dear.
But the KS lever from Tbolt US wasn't that dear .

The rectifier only change's the AC voltage from the stator to DC so it can charge the battery.
Flasher can is only for the Indicator's, is your's not working ?
You might be able to find another 6V one at a car part's shop, older VW's etc use them.
Or they're cheap off ebay too, under $5 inc delivery.

No tail lamp bulb will blow your headlamp bulb though, due to the headlamp getting extra volt's.
They don't ruin a voltage regulator at all, so rely on the amp's from the light's keeping the voltage under 7.2V.

If you can find one, use a P15D, 6v 25w/25w or a 35w/35w bulb, (you can use a halogen bulb too as the Chappy run's a glass headlight.
The higher wattage bulb's are less prone to blow and also will give off a brighter light at higher rpm's
A lot of other model Yamaha's, Honda's and even Vespa's run the same type of bulb too

Thanks 67, the flasher can is actually a flasher relay & mine is rusted solid! gonna get 1 from that guy in iowa where I got a few chappy parts, he's go3 3 of em! the flasher/relay is bout 60$ & Yamaha stopped makin em. headlites r xpensive 2, bout 70$! maybe I'll get 1 from him if hes got ne. if not, maybe you could locate 1 4 me? as for the gearing, I was thinkin bout goin from a 32 tooth rear 2 a 35 -38 tooth 2 get in2 the pwerband quicker in hi range, 2nd gear, sound like a good idea? thanks 67,-------twosmoke

Use this to calculate your gearing/speed's
If it doesn't show up, use Yamaha PW80 '98-'11, they use a 15/32 sprocket set up and should be pretty close
Gearing Commander: Motorcycle Speed, RPM, Chain & Sprockets Calculator

Standard for the PW80 it read top speed of 64mph
With a 35 tooth rear sprocket, top speed is 59mph
With a 38 tooth rear sprocket , top speed is 54.4 mph

Downside of changing a rear sprocket is that you may need a new longer chain to allow for a bigger sprocket on the rear.

You can use a smaller front sprocket to do the same thing if you have room for it.
Usually you don't need a longer or shorter chain too.

A smaller front sprocket say a 12 tooth, with the 32 rear the top speed is 51.6mph
And the smaller front sprocket should allow you to use your current chain too proving you have enough adjustment

Here is a sprocket comparison chart too
Sprocket Calculator - the easy motorcycle sprocket and chain calculator
With your details entered in it, compared to a 12/32 set up, you would have 20% more torque, and 20% slower top speed

LB50 front sprocket's-
Amazon.com: LB50 FRONT SPROCKET: Automotive

6V Flasher can- Amazon.com: Emgo Flasher Unit 2 Prong 6 Volt for Kawasaki 73-84: Automotive
Amazon.com: Buying Choices: Emgo Flasher Unit 2 Prong 6 Volt for Kawasaki 73-84

Headlight bulb 6V 25w/25w- http://www.amazon.com/Eiko-Light-Bu...8333872&sr=1-1&keywords=6v+headlight+bulb+25w

Last edited:
Thanks for the sprocket ratios, I think I'm actually gonna leave the gearing alone 4 now, I had it on a level straightaway late last nite (it aint legal yet cuz of the blown headlite) got it in 2nd gear & let it get into the pwrband, this scoot flies! had the speedo needle touchin 40! IDK if its accurate tho, I guess the WD40 worked! I had my kid shoot a vid, its only 3 secs long, but ya'll get the idea, now I jus gotta see if I can upload it. that flasher can ya posted from amazon is a flasher, mine has a relay w/a coil in it & its rusted solid! imma gonna get 1 frm that guy in Iowa where I got those other parts. thanks 67-------twosmoke

The flasher's can or relay's i posted are the same thing
They look like this inside, or a version of them

egAdcQt.jpg

Some of the cheaper lightweight one's look like this inside

forumrunner_20111118_184111-jpg.573705

But they both do the same job

Speedo might need a bit more WD40 to free up 100%, it will help get any rust/grime out of it too
With the big wheel's on it the speedo will read a lot slower than your actual speed too
Do you have a GPS speedo for your smartphone ?
There should be a free app available if not.

Last edited:
Oh, mine is rectangular, I didn't know they were the same thing, & for the headlite, ya hafta get the whole sealed beam, I don't think ya can get jus the bulb, thanks-------twosmoke

Hi 67, I jus ordered up that headlite assy ya 1st posted. I think I can adapt it in2 the original trim ring w/those clips. I couldn't see spendin big $ 4 a headlite that I couldn't replace jus the bulb rather than the whole thing. I can always order a higher wattage bulb later if I need 1. do ya think not having a taillite bulb in it would have blown the indicator bulbs in the speedo 2 as well? I really didn't think of the bigger wheels makin the speedo reg slower, by how much ya think? I had the needle jus touchin 40 MPH! my kid thinks I was doin @least 50 when I blew by him! I think imma gonna get a cheap bicycle speedo & mount it on there sumwhere 2 get an accurate reading,if I cant get the stocker 2 register correctly, they're less than 20$! thanks again67,-------twosmoke

Latest posts

Back