Yx 160cc blowing smoke, opinions?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JuzzzzzY

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've recently bought a atomik 160cc, yx style. I bought it second hand but it wasn't even ran in yet. I've ridden the last two Saturdays. Perfectly fine but today it started to blow smoke an gradually got worse. My first thought would be rings, but it seems to new to do that and also I had no lose of power. And yes the bike has oil just seems to be burning it.

Any other opinions? Or just change the rings?

there could be to much oil in the system therefor whenever the piston goes down it picks up oil and instead of pulling oil up the bore SO with that being said (im chasing my tail as talk WOW im an idiot) maybe drain it and put some new stuff in her and also some rings, messure how much oil you get out of her btw
hope it helps

^do that
it could have been "broken in" wrong and the rings have no tension on the bore
could have been ran without a airfilter or a broken one.. if bad rings are suspected run the bike and take the filler cap off if you see alot of exhaust escaping from there then you have exessive blowby, new rings time(because it is unlikley to be the valve stem seals on a new motor)
but if its pre old then if there is heaps of smoke when its under no load (eg when you rev it it blows heaps on the return to idle)
if its rings it will blow heaps of smoke when under load and less when not

Check that the engine breather pipe at the back of the engine is not blocked or squashed

So to sum that up^
check how much oil is in it. (while your at it you may as well change the oil too)
Check the crankcase breather pipe 'breathe's' (try blowing through it)
identify when exactly it smokes. (under load or acceleralting or decelerating)

Mine was sweet untill I backed off the throttle... Just saying..

Another thing could be valve stem seels?

Ok guys thanks. I'll try a few things.

Also It blows smoke constantly but real bad on acceleration. Also if I'm kick starting it and it doesn't start first time it blows a little bit of smoke out the air filter on the carby lol.

i would suggest you adjust the valves too while you are at it.
3 thou clearance on the intake, and 4 thou clearance on the exhaust

ok guys, got another problem, done the rings and piston and all that. ive put it back together and it has way less compression now and sounds almost like bubbling when i kick it. Could this be timing
?

Sounds like the timing is out and is blowing back thru the intake valve, did you set the timing mate?. Pull the cam sprocket cover off and the magneto cover, the magneto has a few lines on it, you want the T line to be lined up with the notch in the casing at 12 o'clock, and you want the line on the cam sprocket to be at 9 o'clock which is inline with the cam cover stud, you also want to remove the spark plug and check the piston is visible thru the plug hole, this will make your engine at TDC(top dead centre), if the magneto T is at 12 oclock and the cam sprocket at 9 o'clock the timing is Good, but if the magneto is on T and the cam sprocket line is not at 9 then this needs fixing.

Last edited:
by any chance, are you kicking it over without the spark plug in?

Latest posts

Back