YX 160cc Engine

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topguntravis

Reaction score
Just wondering from people's experience and knowledge what the YX 160cc engines are like on the Atomik Nitrous 160cc's?
Heard they go alright, but in terms of reliability.
I've had a Lifan 125cc which I would generally go for over a YX 125cc, however the 160cc being newer and difference size it could be fine?

Opinions please...

i had one in my lxr for a while.. wasn't very impressed with it, ended up breaking the gearbox twice in under 3 months of owning the bike. missed gears abit aswell.
but went ok, power was ok but opened up alot once i got a pe28mm carby.
If you got the atomiki recommend putting the 160ho and swapping out the yx. i havent had many issues with the 160ho and its bigbored with a v2. did break a clutch gear that ended up breaking 2 dogs of an internal gear and hairline fractures in the case not to long ago. got it in august and that only happend a month ago so survived around 8 months with out any issues with the v2 head.

Last edited:
personally, iv never experienced any problems with the yx160 or 160ho that i haven't experienced with a 125 or 140..
even my 200cc 155z survived... gearbox is still sweet but i cracked a case from compression... apparently 13.5:1 is too much lol

and Harry, it has me stumped how you have so much bad luck with your bikes...

Good to see you back on board Trav. We gotta go for a ride one weekend mate. ;)

My YX160 has held up alright so far. Good power. Only pitfall is no oil filter but keep on the oil changes and all good.

tossing up between a nitrous 125 (only coz it's a lifan engine) or the 160YX but to my knowledge lifan engines are better than the YX (less issues). Essentially I want to base my desicion on the more reliable engine.
its really just to muck around on with some mates riding round on his property.
As my serious riding is on full size bikes now.

I'll let you know about a ride motorman. you got a full size? maybe next sunday 20th I'll probly head out with some mates. ill let ya know if your interested?

Stock 160's are pretty reliable if looked after.
Its when the performance parts start going on when the issues start

what about the YX 150's? basically the same as the 160 with bit less power or more common problems with them?
Looks like they have an oil filter too like the 160...
I feel like a dumbass but i've never had a YX engine :p

Anyone?...

Last edited:
had a yx140 pulled like a monster! totally standard never broke on me. as someone said you just need to look after them :D

what about the YX 150's? basically the same as the 160 with bit less power or more common problems with them?
Looks like they have an oil filter too like the 160...
I feel like a dumbass but i've never had a YX engine :p

Anyone?...

so your talking about that type of yx150...

basically there just a glorified yx140.. more stroke and slingerless.
they rev good, pull hard but still not as good as a 160 lol

if buying secondhand, no matter what you look at make sure it has an updated engine case.... youll suffer if it hasnt

My 155z has had one top end rebuild in 3 yrs and this thing lives on the limiter, only prob was stripping 28 teeth from the clutch gear, replaced it 1yr ago with a 140cc 5 plate clutch and havent had a prob since but it gets clutched on the limiter all the time, My 150cc YX 4 valve race engine(stock) thats been raced for 2 1/2 seasons now has been flat shifted nearly every change up gears down the straight without using the clutch(always clutched down gears)and the box is still strong as, my other race bike has a 160cc YX 2valve motor(stock) and gets treated the same as the 150cc and they are strong, treat a lifan 140 or 150 like this and there goes the centre cases or bearings, have seen some 150yx with cracked centre cases but they were the earlier motors and believe it or not but china does improve this stuff over time, but yeah start going high performance bits and reliability can sometimes be sacrificed.

Latest posts

Back