YX160 Leaking Oil Internally

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gazza2003au

Reaction score
i just bought my little nephews TTR110 style YX160 but its going thru a lot of oil im wondering would it be the piston rings or valve guides? it blows a fair amount of smoke but isnt fouling plugs

Make sure you aren't over filling it. They seem to like the bottom of the sight glass/dipstick.

hey mate thanks for replying the engine is filled up than taking for a 2 hour ride than the oil is checked again and the oil is below low its burning heaps of oil i checked the spark plug today it was black and lots of carbon built up on it im actually amazed the spark plug is still firing

i also have another problem i snapped the swingarm wheel alignment bolt how can i remove it? a shop would charge $50 a new swing arm is around $70 what should i do?

Attachments

• Picture 843.jpg
    Picture 843.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 33
I would say piston and rings, and also do valve stem seals seals while Ur at it,
It's hard to say without having a look , I had a set of valve springs that broke the inners and it chopped the valve stem seals in half therefore pouring the oil straight into the combustion chamber,

yep rings are dusted.. are you sure its the 160 model and not the 175... maybe a close up pic of the engine if your unsure..

valve stem seals can be put on by hand..

for the broken bolt, crc can in freezer for 15-20 minutes then spray the hell out of the bolt and use small vice grips and slightly rock up and down on the vicies till the seal is broken... keep using the crc while its cold.. failing that, drill tap/helicoil

for the broken bolt, crc can in freezer for 15-20 minutes then spray the hell out of the bolt and use small vice grips and slightly rock up and down on the vicies till the seal is broken... keep using the crc while its cold.. failing that, drill tap/helicoil

I had the same issue, mine broke off with no thread showing. Had an issue with trying to get my drill in straight and went off to the side....... turned into a bigger issue. Somehow need a long thin drill to get in there.

Wish i new about the cold CRC trick.

If you have a welder, a nut could be tacked on to the bolt stub and wrenched out. The thermal shock may help.

the welding trick is a good trick, you just need to use a nut that will slide over the thread so it is exposed enough to weld.. use a mig and crank it up.. lots of heat is the key then use a socket on the welded nut..

screw driver won't work like you mentioned above, the bolt snapped for a reason.. its seized.. so you wont be able to apply enough force with a screw driver..

if you get the bolt out make sure you grease the threads on the next ones..

ok thanks guys the nut wasnt totaly seized it was unscrewing but was stiff it unscrewed around 10mm i have my little cousins ktm85 in the shed now and just got rid of there cr250 when i can find the room in the shed i will pull the whole swingarm off and tackle the job i have a welder but im useless at welding its only a stick welder do u think i could bash a socket over the broken bolt and undo it that way?

hey guys i bashed a socket over the snapped bolt it wound out about 10mm than snapped again i dont feel confident in drilling it out as i looked into the other sides hole and it goes atlease 25-30mm deep the thread goes in to the v in the weld on the outside of the swing arm how much will a shop charge to remove this broken bolt?

Attachments

• Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 14
  • Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 13
Did you try the cold crc ?
People don't just post things on here for no reason. whatever has happened on your bike has happened to 20 of us on here.....

Did you try the cold crc ?
People don't just post things on here for no reason. whatever has happened on your bike has happened to 20 of us on here.....

if crc is in a can like WD-40? i would rather not risk it blowing up in my freezer its packed jam with meats and food

sht you caught me out, im a terrorist mate...

the advise has been given on this forum from heaps of members and guess what.. no reports of injury or blown up freezers..

besides you must have 1 kick a$$ freezer if you can freeze something in 20 minutes..

hey guys i bashed a socket over the snapped bolt it wound out about 10mm than snapped again i dont feel confident in drilling it out as i looked into the other sides hole and it goes atlease 25-30mm deep the thread goes in to the v in the weld on the outside of the swing arm how much will a shop charge to remove this broken bolt?

problem still need to be fixed but till i get around to it i made a aluminium plate tuned to length required for chain slop... then every now and then i flatten the end with a hammer / re file to tighten excessive slack.. so far .. works fine .. will fix later properly.. but good fix, easier to do then drillin it out . if your not hands on ... butane

Attachments

• Photo1316.jpg
    Photo1316.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 8

Latest posts

Back