Yx160 oko 26m tuning problems.

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deacon fmxer

Reaction score
hey im in the process of tuning my bike so far i have been told to use:

Slow: 38
Main:102, 104

eclip:second to bottom or bottom.

i have the 38 slow and 104 main in now, ive got it to clean rev through all gears but it now getting hot and plug chops are showing it lean.
plus it only works best on middle and second to top clip.
on bottom and second to bottom it splutter farts and carrys on.
so does this mean i should maybe up to pilot size? to say 39,40 and see what happens?

and i haveto mixture screw about 1/ 1/2 turns out.

any help or info is much appreciated as i want to learn how to tune.

thanks

38 and 102 should be fine.
Put the clip where it runs best.
Mixture screw between 1-2 turns out.

sounds like you have other issues.. valve clearance? vacuum leaks? over oiled air filter?

26oko shouldnt need the needle leaned out that much unless the supplier has some crazy needle in it..

as you say plugs shows lean, overheating shows lean. dont lean the needle out anymore, you want to add fuel..

idle screw at 1 1/2 turns out.. is that where it idles best or just where you left it... you could jump straight up to the 40 pilot and see what the outcome is...

when raising the needle to 2nd bottom is the splutter just off idle or mid range??

valves i checked right before i fitted the carb, there spot on. filter is brand new uni and isnt over oiled.
i got the carb kit off dhz. its strange i know how it splutters when richend on the clip, but when leaned it runs better but is getting hot.??? im very confused. are the rubber adapters prone to leak? i havent over tightened it. how should i check for leaks? should i spray wd40 around adapter while its running and listen for idle change?
the mixture screw runs best at around 1 1/2 turns out. plus i thought if you screw it in all the way while running and it stalls, mean you have the right size pilot.

when on second to bottom notch it splutters at mid range.
and to me if its doing that at midrange it should be mixture screw and needle height not set right.

ive ordered more jets from dhz so il get them tuesday id say,

yeah try wd40 around all joints..

it might pay to strip the carb completely and blow the hell out of all the holes with compressed air, might be a small amount of crap somewhere..

also are you doing plug chops properly, like how much throttle are you using each time you do a test..
ie: if the stutter is at mid range then you hold it in the stutter for a bit and read the plug...

also mid range is a big range.. try and narrow it down to like 1/4 throttle or 1/2 or even 3/4..
idle to 1/4 is pilot, 1/4 and 3/4 is needle, 3/4 and above is main..
now to confuse a little more there is an area from 1/4 to around half that is still influenced by the pilot, that is way i ask people to ride and adjust the mixture while holding the rpm on the stutter..

can you confirm the needle number, should be JJH

Ok il give all that a try, when I'm doin plug chops I'm holding it on the stutter for a bit, then kill it and check plug, but I find it hard to read the plug as it really dosent show much. And I would say its at 1/4 throttle it splutters.
It is the jjh needle.

I'm going to play around with the mixture screw again once I finish today and check for
Leaks.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out Sean.

1/4.. sounds to me its the needle, drop the clip to 1 notch from the bottom and flog the p1ss out of it till it clears up..
failing that try the 40 pilot but i dont think it will be that..

Checked for leaks no leaks found.
I'm starting to think it has something to do with the main jet too as I've read thumps thread over and over, and he says that an oversize main can cause problems else were, I'm going to drop clip second to bottom throw the 102 in and play with the mixture screw.
Hoping that will fix it as I've run out of ideas.

Shes runnning sweet now!. i ended up throwing a 102 main in with a 36 pilot.
i had the 102 main in with the 38 pilot, but it was still spitting and farting so i put the 36 pilot in and it cleared it right up, still might need to do some fine tunning but pretty sure i got it under control.

Specs are:

Pilot: 36K

Main: 102k

Needle: JJH on Second to bottom notch

Mixture Screw: 1 1/4 turns out.

Latest posts

Back