yz85 mini supermoto suspension/spring rates

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camaro97z

Reaction score
Hey all. my first post. hoping to pick your brains about my mini. been racing it for a while on the stock stuff. ready to improve things a little.

Anyone know how to find a good spring rate for my 85? i use it for mini roadracing on cart tracks and have no idea where to start as far as spring rates.

thanks for any advice.
Mike

Hi Mike,

Welcome to Miniriders. :)

How much do you weigh? That's the first starting point for picking a suitable spring rate.

Shouldn't really be an issue mini road racing though as your not hitting jumps?

Might be better off tuning your suspension rather than changing springs.

For my 65sx I went with the hardest I could find (can't tell you the actual rates) but they were for a 55kg rider, matched set. I'm 65-70kg and have put shims in the forks (~25mm) and have the rear preload 2/3rds of the way down the shock thread. My case is a little different because 65's are sprung for smaller kids than 85's.

Get it sprung for your weight and add 50ml of fork oil to each leg to reduce the overall travel, you don't need 11" of travel. I got my 85sx down to about 8" of travel doing this and it was still too much travel!!

Latest posts

Back