Z150R Project

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just sorted out the bars grips and new kill switch and mounted the oil cooler i will make a better mount at a later date. uploadfromtaptalk1454227815374.jpguploadfromtaptalk1454227835555.jpguploadfromtaptalk1454227841579.jpguploadfromtaptalk1454227847405.jpg

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

Finally got a new air filter for the bike happy days.
uploadfromtaptalk1459404228129.jpg

Just a quick spray job before i put the new tires on[emoji2]
09c06840f82a9f1630e1b276f4ab3d5c.jpg
d52dd564b0fa7f8b63ed9b6cbebd0190.jpg

Everything is on the bike now took it for a quick ride and had a slight malfunction. The bars are on as tight as they can go and under brakes they slipped forward. I almost went over the bars lol. Once i fix that problem it will be time to take it for a bust at my mates property can't wait.
291d5e096ef7d05f716c865d7b49d5df.jpg
69a829e33b625fd209dff50da706fa19.jpg
df96749d1eddd5db1cbed2d27ade9dc1.jpg

Atleast you caught the problem with the bars at home, could have made a mess of yourself if you found out wide open in 4th at your mates property. I had a similar issue with clamps not clamping enough. Ended up shaving .5 to 1 mm off the underside of the top pieces of the clamps allowing them to tighten up a little more as the top and bottom piece of each clamp were touching when tightened up but were only about 80% tight enough (cheap chinese clamps, since replaced them with ct110 clamps). Also helps to score some grooves in the part where the bar sits in the clamp with a dremel or hacksaw, only need to be shallow, just enough to give a slight edge to bite the bar
Still gotta put a 88 bore kit on mine but the new tyres really tear up the back lawn, put them on the other week but couldn't ride it until today as i had my son's 4th yesterday at home and the missus banned me from destroying the lawn until after the party.
12552d1459131744-z150r-project-img_20160328_18425-jpg

IMG_20160328_18425.jpg

Last edited:
Atleast you caught the problem with the bars at home, could have made a mess of yourself if you found out wide open in 4th at your mates property. I had a similar issue with clamps not clamping enough. Ended up shaving .5 to 1 mm off the underside of the top pieces of the clamps allowing them to tighten up a little more as the top and bottom piece of each clamp were touching when tightened up but were only about 80% tight enough (cheap chinese clamps, since replaced them with ct110 clamps). Also helps to score some grooves in the part where the bar sits in the clamp with a dremel or hacksaw, only need to be shallow, just enough to give a slight edge to bite the bar
Still gotta put a 88 bore kit on mine but the new tyres really tear up the back lawn, put them on the other week but couldn't ride it until today as i had my son's 4th yesterday at home and the missus banned me from destroying the lawn until after the party.
Thanks for the tip mate i will give it ago shaving the clamps. The tires look awesome on your z50 mate very nice.

Only prob with the tyres is they're soo big you lose half of your chain adjustment as you can't put the wheel all the way foward without it rubbing the swingarm. Thinking i might extend it 1 inch, still short enough to be fun (wheelie happy) but will regain full chain adjustability. After today's burn around the backyard it's stretched out the chain a little, another half tank (or once i 88 it)and i reckon it'll be too loose for what little adjustment i have left, so it's either extend the swingarm or take out a link of the chain

Last edited:
I had that problem with the old tires i had on it they were a bit bigger than the factory one's. So i took a hammer to the little plate that it was rubbing on and gave it more of a curve shap instead of being flat no more rubbing.

I should have said, i only got half adjustment after i took to the cross tube with a hammer and flattened it, at halfway on the chain adjustment with the flattened cross tube i can only just fit a bit of paper between the tyre and swingarm crosstube. That's what you get when you put a 4.8x8 tyre where there was originally a 3.5x8! Well worth it though those tyres hook up soooo much better, now when i brake on grass instead of the front wheel locking and sliding it just digs in and stops, haven't even bothered to put in the kitaco brake shoes and the rear just digs in and pushes in my sandy soil

Last edited:
I know what you mean when the original tires slide when you lock up on grass. So many time's the front tire wood go out from under me. Almost did when i pulled up in the shed this arvo lol.

Just finished modifications on the bar clamps.
Drilled a hole through the bottom section of the bar clamp then grinded enough of it away so i could get a bolt through. Now the bars are not moving any were any more. Next step that ut to my mates property and see what she can do.
8e26861a7ffa42ae4609aca79bce500f.jpg
ddd55c14c01e6d2ea58fa2caaa1814f5.jpg
72aa6dc1b0a13ce76d8dddd3106da64b.jpg

I took the Z150R out for a ride today i was having to much fun on it to take video or photos of it in action. All i can say is it is a scary little bike to ride. There were a few things that went wrong with it. The kick starter **** it self when i stalled out on a big hill and went to kick it there was nothing and it didn't come back up. The new fork insert popped out because it was a really rough track at the property and the 90+kg bloke riding it needs to slim down lol. The the locking clip came off the chain i will never find that again. The exhaust burnt the seat as well. My friend on his yzf 250 was very impressed with the speed this thing has going up hills it was keeping up with the yzf but then it would loose me in the corners.
The work will continue improvements will be made it is not over the test faze is over i know what I have to do to take things to the next level it will be back!!!
97317c41c6606d0a7d597a58c1f19683.jpg
0293c4e1e380e16ba8d51f942215cb7a.jpg
0a87817cc34286e5d00ea05f7aaaf43a.jpg
172ad4ff1c75bf8dd4cbfea3f85ba993.jpg
aafea29847106cecf00e96a0a7c1ee35.jpg
643ecdbeb338719a81526bcf6af06048.jpg

i don't know if it's just the pic's, but that rear sprocket look's very worn.
The teeth are really pointy.
Get a new kickstart off ebay, fhe forged one's are only $23
They swing out just above the splines and will give you more foot clearance at he shock.

Im pretty sure i have broken the teeth on the inside of the kickstarter which is not a big deal it push starts pretty easy. The sproket is the original one it is definitely worn out when i get another one to get more top end speed do you go bigger or smaller?

Smaller on the rear or bigger on the front for top speed
This is that forged kick start lever
13mm Shaft Motorcycle Kick Start Starter Lever 11 15cc PIT PRO Dirt Bike TA | eBay
Kick start gear's, set 'B' here-
Kick Start Gears Idler Gear Driven Gear Bridge Gear Lifan YX 14 15 16 | eBay
Don't let the broken bit's of gear float around too long in the gearbox, you don't want them to get between your gearbox gear's or into your bearing's
Thanks just the stuff i need.

Had some spare time this afternoon to tinker with the Z150R put the 50cc chain back on so much better with alot more adjustment got the original sir clips of the old forks and seated them back in and turns out i didn't need to change out the kickstarter internals just got the original bolt from the 50cc kickstarter and it is running once again no money spent.

Latest posts

Back