Z160ho wont start

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

locko90

Reaction score
I got a new bike today. But the guy that droped it off today didnt metion it wasnt running. I Assumed it did.

its got next to no compression kicks over really easy.

Took spark plug out. Plenty of spark. Still wouldnt start.

Took carb off expecting it to be a blocked jet no jets are fine. Carb is clean as.

So im thinking its to do with it having not much compression.

Engine oil was very low and was black.

What could be wrong here?
e046a2c93b509df15ec19760ea66c94f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Nice bike
Might be that the valve to rocker clearance's haven't been done for a while if at all ?

Set them at TDC on the compression stroke to .003" inlet and .004" on the exhaust

[video=youtube;QJciyJRJh8Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJciyJRJh8Q[/video]

You reckon thats it bro? I think there could be more wrong with it? But im guna give it a go hopefully thats all it is.

Haha didnt think that would cause it to not start.

That could be the compression problem.
Unless someone has done the valve clearance's on the firing stroke, and tried kicking it over after that, it may have bent a valve ?

This isn't your new engine is it ?

Was the spark plug wet when you took it out ?
Was the air filter oiled and fitted when you tried starting it ?
Choke on ?

Nah this is a new bike. My new engine is in the shop getting the exhaust fitted.

And nah the spark plug was not wet when takin out. After kicking it over a fair few times. I held finger over hole and kicked it over about 20 times not really any fuel on my finger.

But carb seems fine. I could try using my molkt carb on it.

I tryed taking left hand cover off but they must of done these dumd flat head bolts up witha rattle gun. Ripped skin off my hands using screw driver with gloves on.

134d010565361eb66e0e8b55cdd79fe5.jpg

Got the cam sprocket cover off seem that cam chain is really lose! How can i tightin it up ?
b5b69e2ed8963f18a8f534bd98517e69.jpg

Oh and will i be able to find top dead center with out taking that left hand cover off.

By looking down the spark plug hole with a torch and seeing the piston reach the highest point the cam sprocket looks like this.

578f3ba4c865836ced7b822cdb4404d5.jpg

Is this wrong? Do i have it on the wrong stroke ?

Been trying to adjust valves. Couple of times now ive adjusted inlet to .003 and when trying to turn engine over the piston gets stuck.

Not sure if im doing it wrong or the valve is buggerd

The piston will be at the top twice, once for the compression stroke and the second time will be on the firing stroke.
Sound's to me if it is locking up when turning it over, then a valve is hitting the piston, you are adjusting it on the wrong stroke, turn the flywheel around 1 full revolution and see where the mark's line up

You need to take the stator cover off to check the T marking on the flywheel is lined up at 12 o'clock in the case
when the dash on the cam gear is pointing to 9 o'clock in the head.
Try using a hammer and centre punch on the head on those flat headed screw's to turn it to loosen each one, then use a screwdriver to take them out.

Is that cam chain loose at the bottom ?
It may have been played around with and the person never rest the cam chain tensioner, if this has happened it would stretch the chain to it's limit's, it may have even jumped a tooth or 2 on the cam gear which will cause problem's if it has

This pic is of Timmeh's 160,
notice the mark on the cam gear is pointing forward to 9 o'clock, the T marking on the flywheel is at the top (12 o'clock)
This is the point where you need to adjust the valve/rocker clearance's

DSC02223.JPG

Yeah i was hoping to be able to set the valves with out taking the cover off. I cant believe how tight they got them screws. I need a bigger screw driver.

Tomorrow ill try and get that sator case off.

With how lose that cam chain is i reckon its definitely skiped a tooth or 2.
How will i fix it do i have to take the head off?

Nah head can stay on, you will need a new timing chain at least, and a flywheel puller if you don't have one

Dam... to be honest im a ova working on bikes for a while now. I much prefer riding them haha
Going to put this job on hold now i got me other bike going hahah.
Probably come back to it in a week or so.

I have got the cover off and ive noticed that the marks on cam gear and on fly wheel are not lining up right.
Here a pic of the magneto its t line is lined up with the mark on case.
3d7dd0e92d587217ebe025300c92b67f.jpg

cam gear is not at 9 o'clock
4377084dfb58d47a1cf43fb256f9f0eb.jpg

How do i go about getting the timing right??

Try turning the flywheel around 360° and see if they line up

After turning flywheel 360° cam gear still not at 9 o'clock.

Its in the same place

I pull cam chain tensioner off and lifted cam chain off and turned the cam sprocket back to 9oclock.

Fly wheel is lined up with case and cam sprocket is lined up at 9oclock.

But the intake value is closed i think i cant adjust intake to .003 there is no clearence. I have turn the flywheel back a bit and let the valve open up.

Did you do that at tdc on the compression stroke, or after you turned the flywheel 360° ?

After i turned the flywheel.

as i turn the magneto The cam chain sorta stops and then moves its really lose and its making weird clicking sounds.

Would be ok to post a quick vid of it ?

I think ill go ahead and buy a new cam chain from dhz

Latest posts

Back