'04 Thumpy Resto/Build

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thump*140

Mini Riders Legend
Reaction score
All these genuine thumpy builds lately have inspired me... i bastardised my old one to build a few different scooters... so now it's sitting around doing not a whole lot, and i figured ok, would be great to have a mini-sized mini to play around on, cart the golf clubs, esky etc when me and the missus go "camping"...

Back in the day, it was an original Thumpstar Hunge-ten, running the extended backbone frame, and 12/12 wheels... The FYM motors in em were awesome, and mine is still going hard today, in Missus Thump*140's camo bike... (still trying to find a way to tell her i'm yoinking her motor...wish me luck...)
The motor has had the valve clearances done ONCE since 04... and that was the day before the SA ride day... good luck having similar reliability from a YX/Lifan etc.. he he..

I've already painted the frame last time i built it up as a carbon bike, but i'm thinking Carbon, Black, Red and white will be a good colour scheme... So the frame will be stripped back, and coat of metallic, candy or mica red sprayed on... havent decided on the medium yet, just the colour...
Stock ****ty swinger is getting turfed for a +2 alloy box section job, and the 12'' rear is getting turfed in favour of a 10'' disc brake conversion... running a hand operated rear brake... I'm keeping the 110 motor, but will probably do my usual tricks with it, i'm happy with the power the old FYM's put out, but a big bore pipe and a 24mm oko should help things along i reckon, along with a bit of porting and polishing... That should see enough ponies for it to be able to stick with the 140's...
Scored a purty black seat with white side strips, and as per usual with my builds, got a whole great big ****eload of bling lined up to throw at it... Billet triples, engine dressup kit, pegs, levers, starter etc etc etc...

It all starts with this... Just need to decide on a sticker kit...
26090-04-thumpy-resto-build1.jpg

yer thump..... im keen to see how it comes out

ita funny how were all building them for different uses

im building a stunter
looks like no crf is building a tard
yours to paddock bash on

heh heh, yeah mines going to be a blinged up Camp Mule... with removable side car for carrying either the missus, the esky, fishing rods, or if i get real excited about it, might get another headlight from JR's like on the Blitz (those things are BRIGHT!!!) hook on a portapack, and use it for spotlighting as well. One's spotlighting and fishing bike can never have too much Bling. :D

looks like a god skeleton to start on bro ill be doin regular cheks on this thread

Awesome! thats gonna get put to good use then!

Put a gun rack on it as well

^^^ in a remarkable coincidence, couple of the sales people from work just asked me if i wanted a heap of scrap reo bar and steel... one section looks amazingly like a side chair base frame, another bit looks just like a sissybar/gun rack...

Sufficed to say, it's already all in the back of the work ute... i can see my holidays are going to be fruitfully spent. :D

should pay for that swingarm now really...

this is what she looked like last time i assembled it... i liked the carbon, so will go that route again.. just more bling, better swingarm, purtier paint etc..

26090-04-thumpy-resto-build2.jpg

Id be keen on grabbing those forks in the first pic off you if you want to get rid of them?Ive got the same 04 Thumpy but ive got a blown seal which bleeds oil all over the garage floor and could never seem to find seals for them.

Id be keen on grabbing those forks in the first pic off you if you want to get rid of them?Ive got the same 04 Thumpy but ive got a blown seal which bleeds oil all over the garage floor and could never seem to find seals for them.
who needs fork seals when you can buy a brand new set of forks this cheap?
NEW GENUINE THUMPSTAR L/R FORK LEGS COMPLETE - eBay, Other Accessories, Motorcycle Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 07-Jan-10 00:01:12 AEDST)

thump what size are those rims? sorry mate but that build just wasn't rockin'... doesn't look anything like a thumpstar

carbon = gay!

simple as that..

thump what size are those rims? sorry mate but that build just wasn't rockin'... doesn't look anything like a thumpstar

12/12's... the 04 thumpys came with 12/12 rims as an option... or 10/10's... but not 12/10... at least i wasnt given that option...
But yes, it wasnt a spectacular looking bike, hence the reason it was assembled, given to my nieces to ride until their landlord had a hissy fit, then it was torn down...
Hopefull the next build might be a little more attractive...

MVpro, once i decide whether i'm sticking with the right way ups, or going with upside downers, i'll let you know buddy. :)

got bored, still no parts from egay arrived for the thumpy build yet, so played around with the dremel and a wire bruss on the drill.... had it looking pretty shiny, then slipped with the dremel, so made some purty swirly patterns on the cases... not sure if i like it or not...

opinions??

26090-04-thumpy-resto-build3.jpg

26090-04-thumpy-resto-build4.jpg

26090-04-thumpy-resto-build5.jpg

26090-04-thumpy-resto-build6.jpg

yeah i'm not convinced yet either... will say it comes up better in the flesh than it does in pics, but yeah, we'll see... might wait til the rest of the bike is done before passing judgement..

it's original I'll give you that lol, maybe add some stick people holding hands with little arrows pointing at them saying "mummy" and "me"

ha ha ha ha, **** you, sir. ha ha ha.
No.
No stick people. maybe some boobs though. :)

You could pin that motor on the fridge Thump.

Look what I did mummy!! haha. ;)

Definately looks different. I don't mind it.

Latest posts

Back