150cc T-rex Daytona motor - photos

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20 hours plus on my z ... still running strong.....

dont think the money will ever be justified ... for a glorified china engine
i reckon it just appeals to people because of the price tag..

any mods to your engine?

still deciding motor for road rego rx
=)

All stock . its about to get a V2 head put on it tho .

Ya cant beat a nice stock 125 for good reliability ... but depends how fast you wanna go on ya rx?

i suppose you can never have too much power...
there have been comments on how the tranny is a bit weak and that it has strong vibrations through the bike from the engine...
also the modifications needed to the exhaust so it can fit also got me considering other options...
=)

Yer i have heard tranny problems with the Z engines ....... but that has literally come from 1 person! never heard problems with the z engine from anyone besides HACKMUNCH.. and i have looked around to..

So its hard to say really..

But then again he said the yx engines where junk to so he probably just has high standards?..... there china engines there all gonna have problems eventually ..

So take ya pick i reckon .

i would go with the Z155 or a Lifan 150 .

This is quoted off another site ......

"We used to race Daytonas 150 but anyways, we already easy broke a couple of them without any irregular abuse...
This is the last we broke, it has just 4hrs, oil changed every 2, and always checked and correctly warmed-up before to be used.
Others Daytona150 suffered the similar issue, connecting rod and clutch basket gear seems to be the major problems in this engine.
All comes from the new 2009 new batch (mean the second new generation batch).."

daytona1.jpg

daytona2m.jpg

the 155 more 'racey' though?
more power than the lifan?

thanks for your inputs everyone
=)

There has never been a problem like that on any Yx engine or z engine.... so those daytona's definately cant be worth the price tag!

holy SH!TE....

i have not seen that from a regularly used engine and not pushed and done in 4 hours

that picture is so tragic!
i suppose engine failures happen... but four hours is ridiculous!

how are the gpx 160s?
just throwing it in there with the mix
=)
i dont want to do bbk and the rest of that... just a simple crate motor bolt in and go
=)

the 155 more 'racey' though?
more power than the lifan?

thanks for your inputs everyone
=)

Its not really , it suppose to have a close ratio gear box... but apparently its just a different final ratio .. so change the sprockets and it will have the same gearing as a Yx motor...

It revs out and valve bouncers quite early.. but you wont notice that on the road... unless your gonna be racing cars or something :rolleyes:

Has awesome overall power ..

I seen you bumped a thread on Planetminis .. well from that thread you can see what Matified has said
I also can add, that I have test ridden the sohc daytona, and it runs about the same as he YX 150 -160, the Z155 runs like a yx 150 with a head.
Also the z155 and Daytona 150 sohc are both made at the same place.

So it is a faster engine out of the lot Supposedly ..... not set in stone... but its something

But it wouldnt be hard to get the yx150/160 engines faster ... and even the lifan150 with new cam/carby ..

But as you mite no the lifan150's are limited to the mods you can do .. cam/carby and porting is about it.

with the yx engines and z engines you can slap on Big bore kits galore ...

I reckon a lifan150 with a good carby and cam would be the go for the road i reckon.
Or the z155 all stock .. slap it in and ride

Last edited:
yea it sounds like a simplier motor is the way to go... instead of having lifespans in terms of hours, i rather lifespan in terms of thousands of kays!

yea i had a good read of the thread... its a bit old... but i just want to gather as much opinion and info as possible before i make a solid decision
=)

yer well keep your eye on that thread on planetminis , the Americans will be on tomorrow morning (there afternoon)

will be good to see if any of them have had issues with the Z engines , and the daytona's

yea... i should even post up a question to see if any are daily ridden also...
but we'll see how it goes tmr
=)
thanks mate!

the daytona 150 has been a great engine, real close ratio tranny and with the z40 cam swap and some cam timing adjustments it makes a true 17hp, bone stock is right at 15hp.

Bone stock z155 and yx160 make right at 12.9 to 13.4 hp. The z155 floats the valves earlier due to weaker valve springs, heads are basicly identical between the yx160 and z155. Now the yx 160 with v2 head makes right at 16+hp but once again your gonna have reliabilty problems, clutch,crank,kicker gears, bearing cases and so on. Thats were the daytona 150 is heads above the yx,z155 junk. Daytona has real close ratio gears, kicks off the tranny not the clutch, has a real digital ignition that is full adjustable and so on. There really is no comparission between the daytona 150 and the other engines oh and the daytona is 6lbs ligther than the yx160.

why does everyone bash the daytona yeah it has a STEEP price tag but stiill a great motor my daytona 150e is running like new smooth as when i first started. i might add tho my next engine will not be a daytona prob the yx160 purly due to the price not at all due to the fact that the daytona is a crap engine..im my opinion an engine is only as good as the person looking after it.

Latest posts

Back