Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snicko54

Reaction score
photostream
I recently come a owner of a 1986 kx 125 in not to bad condition for its age its only missing the front n rear brakes but the ening is running and is in goo order ive cleaned it up preety good but and im going to restore it getting the frame and stuff sand blasted new plastics the seat done in its orig seat cover so it should come up alright.i having an issue with it starting atm it was leaking fuel from carb its a mikuni vm35ss it was missing its hoses so ive put the hoses on it and it didn't have a rubber ring on the nut on the fuel bowl as I took it apart and gave it a clean but now since then its been hard to start and yesterday I put new fuel in tank and was only able to get it started once and I tried all arvo to get it started but was unsuccessful just woundering if anyone had any thought on what i could try or what could be making this problem occour I havnt ridden it yet so im hoping I can solve the problem so I can take it for a good ride

it looks alright for an older bike.
does the carby have 2 floats in it ?

when you took it apart, did you remove the Pilot and Main jets ?
did you check all the holes are open in the Pilot, and that the holes where it screws into is see though into the main bore ?

looks like the fork seals need a cleanout or replace them, i can see an oil line an inch or so above each one.

yes I was careful when I took it apart Main Jet 340, Pilot Jet 35, Needle Jet R-8, Jet Needle 6J7

it sounds pretty much like my Mikuni VM34SS, they're a nice carby to work with.

not to worry I got it all back running good now starts first kick think it was the float level and I got new spark plug all good now now just have to find someone who has any 1986 kx 125 front and rear brakes and muffler and the kx will be good to take out for a ride on the old girl its in great condition for its age

not to worry I got it all back running good now starts first kick think it was the float level and I got new spark plug all good now now just have to find someone who has any 1986 kx 125 front and rear brakes and muffler and the kx will be good to take out for a ride on the old girl its in great condition for its age
How much $$ are they worth to you?

ive been advised the following front brakes and rear brakes parts will fit fron the following modles
1985 kx125 kx250 kx500
1986 kx125 kx250 kx500 kdx200
1987 kdx200

but today I made the discovery of the long needle that goes in the slide is broken and only has the bottom setting that's pissed me off a little like why would anyone do that

at least you have the end with the part number on it

all good my67xr I managed to get one orderd from the states it should be in Australia this week sometime then I should be able to set the carby up with right needle clip position and get the floats set right and maybe it will be sweet then its just a few cosmetic paint frame order my new orig seat cover and stickers and it should be a great old kx125

I also recently won on ebay a almost complete 1987 kx 125 so now I should be able to start my bike build won for $137.50 bargin all plastics in good condition with no colour fade should be an easy build so when I start I will have pics cant wait to start its taken me 6 months to get hold of a complete spares bike so I can start my build

WOOWOW 137.50?? Good on you mate, +reps for that bargain, i look foward to seeing it all unfold!!

nice work
are you going to make 1 out of the 2 bikes, or fix them both up ?

at this stage I want to build one good bike I may sell what im not using as ill need to buy brake caliper & line and rear master cyl and new front and rear brake pads and org sticker kit and new orig seat cover that's all the parts ill need to buy so there should be all most a complete kx 125 in parts id concider selling

yesterday I went and picked up this 1987 kx 125 from the freight warehouse and all the parts need a good clean up been sitting for a fair while I think I cleaned up the plastics there not bad no sun fade at all so that has saved me $250-300 so I wontt need to buy new plastics now ust have to work out if im going the 1987 way or staying 1986 as my 1986 frame is cracked and the geometry is bit different in the two modles as 87 has shorter wheelbase and the seat height is higher makes it hard to mix in match parts to make one decent kx once I work out what way im going with my build It shouldn't take long to build it all up and get the old girl going just need to find an expert that knows the 1986 & 1987 inside and out

Latest posts

Back