Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
definately got a bargain there.
i would be doing the bike that needs the least amount of time/money spent on it, just so it can be ridden lol

thankyou motorman ive found what I can and cant use from the 87 so ill be getting my 86 frame welded up and im useingthe 87 rear shock and plastics on my 86 think that's the easyist option I have as if I use the 87 frame I have the problem of my 86 exp chamber may not clear the frame as 86 port on the barrel was on left side and come around the frame and 87 port is centre that's what happends when they change the geometry in the two models

ive put my sub frame together to see what its like it is 87 sub frame 87 side plastics 86 seat and a 94 kx 500 rear fender let us know what u think of the rear fender as ill wait till the rest of the bike is together b4 I decide if ill use it or not Flickr: bradxr6's Photostream

think the kx500 fender is couple of mm longer but its in good condition and the only other fender I have is my orig 86 fender that has 2 splits in it up to that is un noticeable as it right along the rear seat line or fender ill just see what looks best as the kx 500 fender is higher its same as the 88 -89 fender yes has 21 front and 18 rear id use the 87 frame but my concern is the exp chamber not clearing the front of frame once I get my 86 frame welded ill bolt all stuff on bike and take a pic to see what it will be like my only falt with my 86 is the cracked frame but the 87 plastics are in great condition and have no sun fade and they cleaned up well I might get around to building the 87 kx125 one day just mix n matching few parts to get my bike looking good just want a decent bike really gotta love the old bikes

took the kx all apart yesterday and cleaned the frame up ready for the frame to be welded and wil re paint the rear spring then its assemble time cant wait to have this old girl all back together and fire her up and maybe take for a ride but all that will be left eill be to get new brake pads and few brake parts and ill be 100% finished cant wait to see final finished bike

I will once I get it all together and up n running engine does run I was having carby trouble but when I brought my 1987 kx it had the same carby so I just goto see how that carb goes on my bike it just may need a tickle to get it running spot on

it was leaking fuel and I cleaned the carby out but was still leaking I ended up checking the slide needle and I found it broken it only had the 5th clip position left on it so I got a brand new needle and then I lost the clip lol but the 1987 kx 125 I got has the same carby just has different jets so ill see how that carby will go on the 1986kx 125

1987 kx 125 carby runs mikuni 35mm main jet 370, pilot jet 35 ,needle jet R-2 ,jet needle 6dk/3 ,Cutaway 3.0, Fuel Level 0-2 mm ,Float Level 17.1mm
1986 carby mikuni
Main Jet 340
Pilot Jet 35
Needle Jet R-8
Jet Needle 6J7
Cutaway 3
Fuel Level 1-3 mm

probs mate but that's how its writtern on the partzilla web site must be American lol I know very little about bike carbys as the bloke I got the 87 kx 125 off he said his carby was in good working order so ill use that and see how it goes but it may nee tweeking the carby only has the idle screw it don't have air/mix screw its mikuni vmss35mm think it was a one off on few of 85,86,87 kx125 's as most shops ive talked to they have nothing on those carbs in there mikuni parts data base

oh ok, im pretty sure partzilla is american lol. so ur using the 87 carb on the 86 ? i think you'll find they air/mixture screw underneath the barb, around the edge of the fuel bowl (dont quote me on this) but alot of mikunis have the air/fuel mixture screw under the carb, it makes them a bit annoying to tune!

well I get my frame back today it was getting welded up so I can now paint my frame think ill go green with silver foot pegs and ive done the rear spring blue should come up alrigtht then its assemble time just hope the engine is as easy as it was to get out when I put it back in but with my luck nothing ever goes back in the same way it come out just a matter of getting the swing arm all bolted up as I got the engine ,wireing ,radiator all out as one I set myself a limit of a month to have my bike all together and running and its already been 2 weeks so I think im doing alright and that hasn't been rushing it either just done a bit here and there every day day I have few pin holes in my exp chamber but I have been told its hard to weld them up as the material being thin welding can just destroy them so im not sure what to do there if anyone has any ideas let me know will have more pics coming soon of painted frame and bike being assembled

well I got my frame back the other day from being welded I sanded the frame nice and smooth and I painted the frame and let it sit over night and I got stuck into to it putting it all together few small things to do like brakes and a proper 2 stroke muffler so im mostly done but not quite finished can wait to ride the kx I haven't rode a dirt bike for 6 months far too long but worth the wait I guess ive added some new pics and there is a couple of it all together Flickr: bradxr6's Photostream

Latest posts

Back