2000 Suzuki DS80 build

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DMKLSIMONS

Reaction score
Friend in school had a 1978 model, loved the little bike.
Found one and bought it for my son to learn to ride. Paid $350 for it, and it was in proper dirt bike form... Road it hard and put away wet.
Hard to keep it running, and low power output on test ride. Clutch seemed weak too. Rusted chain and low tires. Brakes were good so not all bad.

Compression check showed only 88 PSI. Rebuild of top end in the works.
Need's to be rebored and honed. New over-sized piston to be installed when the cylinder gets back from the machine shop.
Here are a couple of pictures right now.
I will post more later

11456d1431048480-2000-suzuki-ds80-build-bike-left-jpg

11457d1431048515-2000-suzuki-ds80-build-bike-right-jpg

Attachments

• Bike left.jpg
    Bike left.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 51
  • BIke right.jpg
    BIke right.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 51
Last edited by a moderator:
It look's pretty good for a bike that's been put away wet.
The rim's and spoke's have still got a factory shine to them, especially compared to mine.
The frame look's rust free too, which is another good thing.

Very nice !

Craig

I cleaned the wheels and the first wheel cleaning cleaned up a lot of the wheels dirt and grime. I have really scrubbed the plastics as well. The fenders and tank look pretty good now too...I wish I had taken more pictures when I started. One of the motor mount bolts was loose and slowly spinning as it was trying to idle during the test ride. hahaha. I found another loose as I was removing the head. This bike was just rode and no maint really done.

A few more pictures as parts were being repainted.

20150503_150624.jpg20150503_150605.jpg20150503_153437.jpg20150503_154259.jpg

Craig your DS 80 Build is excellent. Very nice job on a bike that looked like a wreck... Craig what did you do to raise the rear end like you did...I would like to raise this one.

A few more hours and a few more things done... I am not planning to make this bike a garage queen so I am not doing a complete overhaul but sometimes you end up doing more than you expected. .
44de9b31593088a8ed95e0130021e507.jpg

Cheer's.
I made up a new linkage arm to raise the rear of mine.
There's pic's in post #70 of the one i made all painted up
And post #83 comparing the standard linkage to the one i made

Found it leaking air at the rubber intake connection to the cylinder head. . I put some red high temp gasket maker on the rubber boot to help seal it... Bike still won't idle right... It requires the choke or giving it gas... I guess I will wait to see it it gets better as the gasket maker sets up.. . Also. It is smoking a lot... I am certain the mix is 32:1. The original oil injection system has been removed.

The smoking can be from sitting around.
The fuel from unburnt fuel/oil in in crankcase evaporate's and leave's the bottom end oiled up.
My bike's smoke a bit on start up then it clear's up.
Is it blueish smoke or more of a white colour?

If it's white, it would pay you to check the crank seals
The right hand side crank seal may be leaking and letting gearbox oil into the fuel mix ?

With my DS80, the manifold face was a little warped from being over tightened at some stage,
i faced it back as flat as i could get it and made up a thick (1.2mm) new gasket paper gasket for it.
Silicon sealant doesn't usually last too long around petrol, it soften's and leak's

Ok...I got it running..but a few thing are bugging me. I did a compression check and it is about the same as it was before I replaced the piston and rings. 88 PSI before and now 90 PSI. About 15 min of idle time is what it had before testing. Will the compression go up as more time it is run? After running it for 15 min idle then cool down three times...I rode it a bit...did not push it much...but it does not seem to have any more power than it did before the rebuild. I am thinking it might be suffering from a carb issue and not allowing it to really run right. I think it should really have more power, but not having ridden one with full power I dont know and have no way to base my thinking other than general knowledge of bikes and other two strokes I have ridden. Its like it never gets up on the pipe at high revs.

The case seals appeared to be good inside and did not see any leaking when I removed the cover...but I did not remove the clutch basket. Bike is smoking more than I think it should. Could the same Carb issue cause the extra Smoke? To rich?

Plug was black when I checked it. I seems to have to adjust the idle all the time. Noted I can rev the motor and it does not alwasy return right to idle.. It likes to come back to idle real slow sometimes. Slow wind down. Carb?

Now First time I had the bike at higher speed...at full throttle it boggs down.. I tried to clean the carb when I first got it...but I am not sure I am getting all the holes cleaned out as I should. No real guide I can find. I figure the lack of being able to hold its idle before I rebuild the top end was due to the low compression...but now am thinking it was this carb problem.

With the compression being low, it doe's take a bit to run it in.
The ring's need to bed into the cylinder wall's to make it seal properly.
It generally takes about 3 full tank's to run them in.
Also, where the new ring's installed correctly? the right way up ?
And was the cylinder honed ?

Being slow to drop back to idle is due to being too lean, air vacuum leak between manifold and barrel i'm guessing.
It can also vary when it's running due to the engine warming and open up the gap's etc.

Have you cleaned out the pipe, burnt all the old oil/carbon out of it ?
You need to get the expansion chamber red hot and blow compressed air through it
You'll see it smoke, and bit's of carbon etc will come out the other end of the pipe as you do it.
Mine took about 45 minute's to clean it out properly.
The pipe felt so much lighter once done too.

You could try dropping the pipe off the barrel and start it up , give it a rev and see if it rev's free then

Yeah, it's looking way better than mine.
The chain is looking a bit tight in post #13.
You need about 1" up, and 1" down movement at the chain in the centre between the sprocket's, when the centre line of the front and rear sprocket's and swingarm front pivot bolt are all lined up other wise it'll stretch, and break a link
or chew out the output shaft bearing in the case.

Thanks for the comments... I will check the chain tension. .

I did not clean the pipe out... I am sure it has lots of old oil in it. . I am worried about the Rings. . I put a wiseco piston and ring set in the bike. . The old piston had the writing on the Rings facing down... So I put mine the same way. . I could not see any marks otherwise.

The cylinder was bored out and honed at a very good motorcycle shop... That part of the building is the only part I am certain of...

They only wanted the piston... Not the Rings too... He handed me back the Rings and other parts.. Just kept the cylinder and piston..

Latest posts

Back