2000 Suzuki DS80 build

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder if they consider markings as letters or numbers printed on surface or if I should be like intentions of some sort. If they are upside down. Then what will happen?

Some place's like to check the ring end gaps as well as measuring the piston to get the right clearance to the bore
If they are in upside down it may not have done anything bad, it depend's on what style ring's they use too.

Screen-shot-2012-03-28-at-3.29.52-PM.png

Just spoke to Wiseco... They are barrel rings and he said it did not matter which side is up. Are both rings the same? ... The top and bottom. Because I did not see the post above before I had spoke to them... Also said my break in is not completed and I have to run it more... Before compression comes up. I will try and remove the pipe and clean it out

Last edited:
All good then.
I reckon after a few tank's it should have a fair bit more compression.

When you go and clean out the pipe's, use an Oxy kit or Mapp, Propane or even Lpg torch to heat up the pipe.
Get it glowing red hot, then blow compressed air into that end.
You should be able to see a red ring glowing on the outer of the pipe as it burn's the oil/carbon out
The paint will burn off the pipe too once the oil etc has burnt off the inside
It could take a while if it's thick in there.
Make sure it's a windy day, and your neighbour's don't have washing on the line etc, there'll be lot's of white smoke once it's really burning !
Oh, only down side is you'll need to respray the expansion chamber after cooking it, any paint will burn off.
Sandblasting the pipe after cleaning it really helps the new paint stick for ever too.
Hope you haven't resprayed it already
Might be worth pulling the silencer apart too and repacking it with new packing (cheap about $10)
Clean up the perforated pipe if the hole's are clogged up.

Here's a couple of video's to give you an idea

[video=youtube;SPZiGYw5wgM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPZiGYw5wgM[/video]

[video=youtube;R_J7sADPyMM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_J7sADPyMM[/video]

I ended up putting mine in the grill in the backyard and turned up all four burners...it took a bit to get it hot but shot flames out the end just like the videos. I put sand and small rocks in and shook it up and knocked most of the left over carbon out. Bike is running better now and is getting up on the pipe some. I think it will get better the more I ride it. Power band seems very narrow though.. I know most two strokes are narrow but more than i think it should be. More compression should help.

I noticed a slight ringing sound or clanking on the left side of the engine. I dont remember if it make this noise before I rebuilt it. More on the left side as you sit on it than the right. I had an older air cooled Yamaha 250 with an epansion chamber and it was a two stroke that use to make a ringing sound when it ran around the head area, but had not noticed it on this bike till now. Any ideas? that normal?

Not sure with the noise,
The forged piston's do make a different sound to the stock cast one's due to needing more clearance.

Maybe check the flywheel is on tight too ?
Did you watch the video when i started my DS in the shed ?
How does it sound compared to that?

I reckon you can easily modify an early RM80 (pre '82) expansion chamber to fit the DS, the later model JR80 FMF pipes fit it too
Mine had a bit of rust in the pipe off the head and the drop down section so i made up another section for it and welded it in.
It's a bit longer and bigger bore than the original and it helped broaden the band a bit

Maybe... I will check. . Its been raining here for close to a week so any riding of the bike would be a mess and have not had the chance to do some final seating of the Rings and check the noise any closer. . The bottom end looked good when it was apart. . I am no expert but from what I could see and the bike service manual it looks good on the bottom end so I don't think it's that. . Might see if it will come out on video with sound.

I have the muffler apart but can't see any packing... Is there any on the stock muffler. See the pics..
688fdef67c8440945614ed2928194d2d.jpg

fdce39f1c2ae176b396ef82c9bc5cdca.jpg

08936eeac8839f2de91bd1cef5f316f1.jpg

Ok I was able to remove what looks like a baffle... But is has no holes like I expected k
4dff881cf126ccaadbd3af2fcef56c8e.jpg

f2b518b29ba39e76bd8d8cbdc11a01b0.jpg

8209d9f6950eb3fe61b277d369c322b7.jpg

Does this even require packing... None in here now... And if so will it wrap here?
5dfa6691a0372473b29b3e08b7971c54.jpg

Nah it doesn't look like the have any, i never had a factory muffler on mine when i got it.
I made my own custom one to suit.
Any way give it a thorough degreasing and clean out while it's all apart.

When you said you had to bang out your expansion chamber to get the last bit's of carbon/oil out,
it sound's like it still need's to be cooked more.
My Yamaha chappy exhaust took age's to burn it out .
They have a perforated layered liner inside to help keep the noise down, oil etc build's up through it and then over it making it really hard to remove.
Sometime's you need to soak thge inside's in degreaser to help loosen it, then burn it out again.

How much lighter does the expansion chamber feel now ?

Some, but I did not really notice. . I had it on the grill about 45 min to an hour

We put some factory decals back on the bike... Just need the tank sticker now.
24962082aba3488de2aea1b9c841fd95.jpg

Here is my son just taking it easy as the ring get set after rebuild. . Bike smokes a lot. Is it running to rich? Pretty sure it's the stock jet in carb, but can't you change the clip on the carburetor needle to adjust the mixture some?

[video=youtube;r2xVEGVsoM8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2xVEGVsoM8&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:
Not so much too rich, but maybe a bit too much oil getting pumped into the case's
Try winding the cable adjuster for the oil pump above the front sprocket back down into the cover a bit
Try it at 1 full turn in from where it currently is, then try it a second full turn in
You want a little bit of smoke as the rev's drop back down from a blip rev

Ok.. I forgot to say... The oil injection has been taken off the bike. . It is running premix gas at 32:1

Ok, sorry i just checked back and you did mention it above.
So the premix is 100ml's of oil in 3.2 litre's petrol?

Raising the clip on the needle will lean out 1/4 to 3/4 throttle a little
What jetting is in it ?

The bike does sound quite crisp though

I bet it's the stock jetting. Bike had stock everything when we got it. Don't see any reason they would have changed it

Yes 32:1. Was thinking I might try 40:1. So changing the clip height will affect all rpm range or just off idle? The bike is a little tough to start. . Won't idle longer than maybe 20 sec. Seems like the high rpm range is hurt as I don't think it gets the high rpm I have seen on YouTube of other DS80 bikes. It comes off idle well and is pretty crisp there.

I was think of a way to describe what it does in the upper Rpm range... I describe it like a stutter or stumble.. Like it's hitting a Rev limiter sort of. . It does not fall on its face... Just sort of hit an upper limit and skips.. Up and down and won't go any faster. . A buddy said it sounded to lean to him but the excessive smoke made me think rich

Latest posts

Back