2008 Atomik Blitz 250 review

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
update on the blitz.. its now in my shed and is gonna get some much needed riding very soon... cant wait to take it out...

update soon

kris

Hello everyone,
This is my first post, and like to say seems like a pretty relaxed, yet helpful forum. Congrats.

I have read the entire thread and very informative.

Without going on too much, I was interested in getting one of these bikes. Nothing too serious but also like the aspect of doing some work to it as well. Ive generally spent all my time with cars and boats so bikes are a new area.

Anyway, I was interested on peoples thoughts with the Zongshen water cooled engines ? It seems that Atomik sell the Blitz XR which has the Zongshen gen 2 water cooled, with extras as front rear lights etc.
This seems to be the one they are selling on ebay these days.
Just interested to see if the carb and exhaust mods would still be the go ??, I have read that the Loncins are possibly more powerful from factory, not sure if true offcourse. They are both rated around the same power.

Otherwise they still have the Blitz 250m, but only seems to be on there website at present, water cooled loncin (says generation 2 ?) has no lights, add ons etc.
http://www.atomik.com.au/dirt-bike/blitz250m.html

So interested to see anyones thoughts,

Cheers,

Brett

hey mate,
if your handy with electronics then its not hard at all to set your bike up with lights and stuff. i went to a local bike shop and bought a discounted set of headlights and an led rear light and switch which were easy to hook up, i just need to order some brake pressure switches to get the brake light working

Hello Sikko,

Well I'm not that interested in the lights etc. As you point out, I can always wire these up.
I'm more interested in getting the best engine I can.

Ebay are only selling the Zongshen water cooled, Blitz bikes at the moment.
Just trying to figure out if these are comparable, or as good as the Loncin engines ?
As it seems everyone on here has the Loncin.

Cheers,

Brett.

Hi guys, first post after reading this entire thread, then purchasing a 2010 Atomik Blitz XR 250.

I picked this up off ebay for a good price and frankly was wondering how the delivery process etc. was going to go. Well it was delivered in great condition and bolted into a metal frame and was very secure. Took ages get the thing out!

It went together fine and greased and locktited the bits suggested (about as best I can without being a trady and not that familiar with pulling down the whole bike!)

Eventually some fuel in and fired her up, it started first shot and I could not really believe it, once I worked out the choke it warmed up fine and idled by itself. All the lights etc. work correctly.

Noticed a drip or two of fuel from somewhere and traced it back to a dodgy plastic weld on the lower left side of tank! Crap, fuel kept dripping so I stuffed a bit of rag onto tank so I could still give her a quick ride, check out brakes, gears, clutch and warm oil so I could dump it and replace. All good.

The oil had lots of very fine metal shavings as I have read esewhere here so was happy I did this straight away.

I contacted atomik and sent pics of tank dripping, they appologised and said they would send a new tank straight away. I was pleasantly surprised when the new tank arrived less than 24hrs after the initial contact. So no real negatives here.
I hope to be able to repair the original to keep as a spare.

Bike runs well and revs out fine and does all the things I expected it to, although I feel I am waiting for something to go wrong. So far so good.

Thats all for now and I hope this is useful to someone esle considering a Blitz. Will feedback in a while when I know more stuff about this bike/ project.

Thanks to everyone for their usefull comments which helped my decision to tackle the Blitz.

Hello J man,

So hows the Bike going ?

I have also purchased a Blitz XR, the current XR has the water cooled zongshen engine. Interested to see how yours goes, as most of the bikes on here are the Loncin. I guess they are very similar if not the same, with different casing etc.

I'm currently away, so it will have to sit in the crate for a while until I get a chance to open it up and assemble.

Did you pop out the wheel bearings, and re pack these with grease ? its something I was planning on doing after hearing of bearing failure, pehaps not needed.

Brett

Hey Brett- Yep mine has the Zongshen water cooled engine. Not sure about differences to Loncin, someone here more experienced many be able to tell us.

So far I have done 2 half hour rides and no problems have surfaced, the suspension seems good so far with no leaks. The rear suspension is fine so long as you leave it set to soft. The front seems fine and have not played around with settings yet.

The carby tune and jets seem pretty good as after warm up it idols fine and will rev out cleanly across the full rev range. Nice bark and pop on overrun too.

Can someone here tell me if need to use clutch for every up and down change or not? Obviously need it for start and stop but otherwise?

Did not pop out the bearings and specifically grease as there was some grease on all the important stuff, so time will tell! I did however locktite quite a few things as recommended. I use WD40 on all the moving joints and hit the suspension with silicone spray to keep smooth and dirt from sticking.

Have fun unpacking your crate and make sure you have metric allen keys handy!

Also dont fill your tank the first time in case you have a leak like mine did! (Lucky I only put in about a litre and it was a very slow leak so I just stuffed some rag in and decided to road test bike to use up the fuel before it leaked out anyway!)

Good luck and keep us posted.

J Man

Hey guys I'm new here and i really need help. I was looking at getting a second hand jap bike but those babys are just to expensive and some of them are bashed up so much that i'll be spending a fortune to rebuild them. I like the atomik 250 blitz cuz it actually seem to look like an actual bike than the other chinese bikes out there. Ie Pitpro 250 sxr, Orion, etc... Just wondering if the atomik 250 blitz would be a good purchase or not?
please no haters!

Hey J man,

Yeah unpacking sounds like fun, nothing a few beers won't help with.
Its good to see yours is going well.

Cheers for the advice.

Greenredthing, check out the other 55 odd pages to this thread, your questions will be answered.

Brett

Well after reading all the pages I decided to jump on the Blitz train. Is the Zongshen radically different to the Loncin? Would the same carb and cdi mods work? Huge thanks to all the guys that posted in this awesome thread.

As it seems that no one else is checking up on this thread I'll answer the question that has been repeated a few times now... The carby and CDI mods will work; you may need to tweak the set up slightly differently than the air cooled motor depending on how the water cooled breathes etc.

I'd recommend starting by opening up the exhaust and air intakes when you are going to upgrade your carby... Just follow the guide buried somewhere in this review :)

hey guys, as you know i own this bike now

im trying to get it running, anyone know where i can get front forks, and new clutch lever and cable from?

thnaks

Kris

Yea it is man I used to have one there OK but I'd be buying a second hand jap I picked my wr up for $2400 its not much more then the blitz but 50million times better build quality

i've really enjoyed and learned a lot from this thread!! can't believe it's been going for 2+years!

i'm a complete beginner but learning fast, i bought an SDB enduro 250 which is a KTM copy with the zongshen aircooled motor, from what i've learned most of the mods discussed in this thread will suit me, im just wondering if anyone else is in melbourne and might be able to help me out with this stuff cos i'm new to working on bikes but happy to learn. i'm sure once i've got my ability up on these cheap chinas i'll step up to a jap bike but for $1300 brand new you can't go too far wrong, and i'm told they are lifting their game in the qualtiy department.

Latest posts

Back