2009 Puzey XTR 250cc - $100 bargain

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been trying to get the nut off the flywheel for 3 days now, so I can put the flywheel tool on and take the flywheel off..... I am supposed to be taking the nut off first right?? And it comes off in the same direction as a normal nut, then when using the flywheel tool, I tighten to undo, right??? Just wanna check as I can get this bugger to budge one little bit.

uploadfromtaptalk1407547710379.jpg

yeah normal R/H thread for the nut through the middle.

and right again , tighten the bolt in the middle of the puller while holding the outer of the puller still, to pop the flywheel off the crank.

i guess you have been soaking the main retainer bolt in Inox, Penetrene WD spray ?

are you using a 6 point Impact socket on the Crank bolt ?
give the ratchet a hard crack with a hammer, to shock it and hopefully undo it
otherwise take it down to a mechanic and have him do it with a rattle gun, hopefully for free ?

Yeah, cheers Craig, been soaking it with wd40, but will prob get some inox to try on it, I've just been using a normal socket to try undo it, I've pretty well stuff the socket now but, it just slips all the time, the nut is def not rounded though, it's the socket slipping, so I'll look at an impact socket while I'm out at bunnings today.

Sunex_5132_1-inch_Drive_Standard_6-Point_Impact_Socket_-_4-18-inch.jpg

Kincrome 10 Piece Impact Socket Set I/N 6110361 | Bunnings Warehouse

yeah, at the least try and find a Chro-Mo 6 point socket.

if you are any good with angle grinders and 1mm cutting discs,
you might be able to cut the end 3mm or so off the socket, just the damaged part.
then clean up the burrs on a wire wheel and still be able to use it ?

do you have a small gas torch ?

Tradeflame Butane Heating Torch I/N 5910232 | Bunnings Warehouse
404 File Not Found - Supercheap Auto Australia
pid=286613#Cross
SCA Gas Pocket Torch - Supercheap Auto Australia

even a little pocket blow torch to try and heat up the steel inner boss of the flywheel ?
it might help to break the seal of the tapered/press fit

even some candle wax, once you get it hot, can penetrate into the tiny gap between the flywheel and crank

also, the heat from doing it the above way will kill the seal behind the flywheel to the crank case, but you are rebuilding it anyway possibly ?

Hey blender, thanks heaps man, that looks alright mate, going to contact him and see if he's interested in putting in a crate and sending it to me

Cheers for the help Craig, I'll try heating it up to loosen it too.... I am no good with angle grinders, let's just say sharp things need to stay well away from accident prone people! Lol!

I recommend a impact socket driver.. there cheap, put a 1/2'' socket on there, turn it the way you want it to go and belt it.. worked for me 9/10
there like $20 or so I recommend using a heavy hammer too

15ff34744cce2650b644b7c12d47eb89.jpg

This susuki DR 500 engine with good compression is for sale in my local area for $300.... Reckon it will fit the puzey?

anything is possible when your old man is a boilermaker !!
but that 500cc thumper will take a decent kick to fire it up !!!

nah i meant if the compression is anything like my old XR500, i struggled to kick it over

and the DR500s' were made 1981-1989, so are getting old now too 25 years +, and could need some gearbox work

Thanks for the explanation.... I have seen a heap of dr500s for wrecking/parts lately but it didn't click that maybe they are getting to that age... Der! Thanks!

Hey Rikchick, long time but Im back on deck after doing my back in a few months ago.
The original motor in your Puzey is exactly the same as mine in the Mikilon "Thing" which is exactly the same as the blitz.

So you should be able to grab one around the place somewhere, or I even priced one direct from china pretty damn cheap. I looked through Alibaba and there's heaps, here's a barrel/piston set as an example but this supplier sells minimum 5 sets, but its an idea.
70mm 16mm 82mm Cylinder Kit Loncin Zongshen 250cc 170mm Engine Kaya Xmotos Apollo Tmax Pit Dirt Bike Parts Sales, Buy 70mm 16mm 82mm Cylinder Kit Loncin Zongshen 250cc 170mm Engine Kaya Xmotos Apollo Tmax Pit Dirt Bike Parts Products from alibaba.com
Just do a search in alibaba or use this link
Loncin 250cc Engine Parts-Loncin 250cc Engine Parts Manufacturers, Suppliers and Exporters on au.alibaba.com

The suspension linkage looks a lot like CRF. I had a good look at all the variable ratios of the linkages when I was adapting the shock on mine. Its very square but is alloy which is strange for a 2009 china. If you can get the correct bike it was copies from then you can change the bearings accordingly using pre packaged sets from Alls-balls. I used them on the pitty headset and found them very good...but a bit pricey.

As for fitting the DR500 donk, I have no idea on fitting except that your frame looks alloy so welding is not an easy option. Lots of bracket fabrication. Ohhh and practice grabbing a 50kg bag of spuds on your back and doing one leg (right leg) squats. Should build up your leg strength to kick the thing over :)

Good work so far on the tear down. Look for obvious signs of sitting in water. The engine appears to be a giveaway so you will need wheel bearings, suspension bearings, linkages, etc replaced or rebuilt/repacked.

Good luck

Yeah bearings are a must the rear wheel bearings are stuffed....

I bailed on the DR500 - as mean as it would have been, and the massive leg muscles I was gonna get for it..... Money's tight here at the moment so the puzey has been put on the back burner for a little bit til we can afford a new engine/replacement parts (I'm up to about $320 in engine parts so far, by replacing bits) - still hoping to find a china 250cc second hand I can find cheap and swap into it.... Nothing like time to find the right engine huh?!

I'd like to grab one of those Loco, it's the best and probably best long term option, so I'll see what happens first, I'll keep saving, if I find a 2nd hand one I'll grab it, if not I'll keep saving and hopefully grab a newbie....

Latest posts

Back