49cc Ebay Special Problems (atomik atv)

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aussienitro

Reaction score
Gday fellas,

Having just bought one of the little 49cc ATV's from Atomik I'm less then impressed. Firstly the sparkplug was shattered out of the box thus the engine had obviously been dropped before it was installed.

Second, for whatever reason the pull start is very hard. when pulled it will go clug..clug...clug, and be very difficult to get past the "clugs" (describing it best I can) you can not pull it fast without breaking your fingers. This did ease up at one point and it started with difficulty using aerostart.

When it was started and carrying my weight (70kg) it would not move at all on a level surface. It tried too but just had no power, assuming problem with the clutch.

I'm really noy sure where to start here, and theres no use trying to talk to Atomik.

Are these problems familiar? any advice?

Bin it and lesson learned!! Dont buy cheep ebay china crap!!
Specially if ya going to put a kid on it to ride!
Sorry cant be more helpfull but think if ya done a bit of research 1st ya might not be in this situation?

how heavy are you they are only ment for like under 30kgs. i'm 90kgs and rode my kids and clutch just shat it's self with in 3min ... that smell will stay with me for ever, unlike the quad..hahaha

A 49cc has no hope in hell of pushing your 70kg weight.I got my kids a 110cc quad and it just pushes me (95kg) and my 2yo daughter along.Those 50cc quads are not very good at all.I did some research before i brought my cheap ass quad and the quad you brought im sorry to say was the one not to buy.

send it back to them, ask for refund and move on..
if purchased thru ebay then item not as described and damaged goods..

OK thanks fellas, lesson leaned. Though why does all the 49cc atvs on youtube push adults just fine? Its not for me but I doubt it will push any weight at all. The instructions say max load weight up to 110kg.

Yes it is only a toy, and only meant as one.

I noticed they dont even sell them anymore, but assuming the engine/clutch the same in all the ebay "crap".

It'll cost more to send it back then it cost.

All the claims they make about speed and what weight it can carry are lies to drag sellers in.It would never do 30+ MPH surelly.Id say the max weight would be more around the 35kg mark not the claimed 95kg.

Well the one I have here looks exactly the same as that but the instructions actually give max load of 250lb! so yes hmmmm. Wonder what chinese 250lb translates into english.

Hi Mate...

ok, i have 2 of these (well similar) for my twins (6yo) and they love em! my sons is VERY temperamental and my daughters is a machine...just keeps goin and goin

His was an ex demo and at the time was a good buy at 100 bucks off rrp. That i think was my only mistake.

Hers straight outta the box kills his and eaisly (with the govenor wound out) pulls my 85kg ass around...his wont.

These quads use clutches at an alarming rate, and every say 5-6 rides i replace the clutch and every now and then, the drum also. i searched on eBay and bought 10 clutches for $50 delivered. They rev so hard the cheap clutches just melt.

apart from the clutch issue i haven't spent anything on them and for under 500 for 2 and 50 for a few spare clutches i think they were a good buy (2yrs old Chrissy just gone)

The kids love em and with my young fella getting more and more into it, weve just stripped his and giving it a "makeover" insaying this, he wont be riding it for much longer as he is wanting more and more power and speed (he is insane on this little thing lol)

Dont give up on the china stuff...most people hate it and there are some scary storys going around..BUT these toys (thats what they are) are only what you make them and for the $$ im certainly not complaining and will definately be buying the next size up for my kids as soon as they need it.

Couple of pics :-D
S5002069.jpg

DSCF0091.jpg

DSCF0156.jpg

And this is the clutch that encouraged us to give it a make over. Note: the shoe with no pad thats melted...lol and dont ask me where the 3rd spring is...lol all i can tell you is it was there when we put it together.
DSCF0067.jpg

yeah im surprised, ive had 2 of these that i bought broken and re-sold on ebay for some healthy $$

Only problems i have ever had with them was the clutch (replaced pads and springs) and the carby usually plays up on them.

They pulled me around no probs im 80kg.

Hi Minifighter, Yep I saw those on ebay though bought the atomik bike as it had the twist throttle. On later thought I did see the appeal on a thumb throttle with kids though, less chance of losing control. This one has the same engine as those, or at least looks identical.

So if yours hauls your 85kg arse around, cant see why this one wont move. What does your sons one do when you try move off? just slips in the clutch instead of grabbing?

Theres a couple clutches on ebay, a twin shoe and a triple with the double costing a bit more. If I can get it going i guess I can try those, by your picture it looks like they cant be adjusted.

MiniQuadII-Red-thu.jpg

Last edited:
lol looking at those pictures i thought you had floorboards in your shed

Hi Minifighter, Yep I saw those on ebay though bought the atomik bike as it had the twist throttle. On later thought I did see the appeal on a thumb throttle with kids though, less chance of losing control. This one has the same engine as those, or at least looks identical.

So if yours hauls your 85kg arse around, cant see why this one wont move. What does your sons one do when you try move off? just slips in the clutch instead of grabbing?

Theres a couple clutches on ebay, a twin shoe and a triple with the double costing a bit more. If I can get it going i guess I can try those, by your picture it looks like they cant be adjusted.

the first time i rode my sons it just slipped so i didnt try again, my daughters slips a little then grabs and takes off, i find a rolling start helps greatly but really dont get on them much.

the 2 shoe clutch i was going to try as ive read they are adjustable but with the two little ones both only around 18-20kg's i dont really think they need it and also by what i read the benifits from running an adjustable one is that you can adjust it for better speed off the mark (engage at higher revs)and really....they dont need that, so the 3 shoe std imho suits them better.

also check the chain adjustment (to tight) and also the chain alignment, checking front sprocket is inline with the rear. This slipped past me the first few clutches..what happened was the chain adjusters on mine were on the engine bash plate ie: pull engine forward to tighten chain..the adjusters were cheap and bent there for twisting the front sprocket the tiniest bit which misaligned it to the back one and since the front sprocket is attached to the drum the drum wasnt running true and wore the clutch out really quickly.

You could also remove the drum and give it a light sand to improve the surface for the clutch to grab.

also..did you run it in first? if it is brand new there cant be anything to wrong with it...prob something simple that your not seeing.

other than that there a great little quad and i have as much fun watching them thrash em as they do giving it to them...lol

Hi Mate...

ok, i have 2 of these (well similar) for my twins (6yo) and they love em! my sons is VERY temperamental and my daughters is a machine...just keeps goin and goin

His was an ex demo and at the time was a good buy at 100 bucks off rrp. That i think was my only mistake.

Hers straight outta the box kills his and eaisly (with the govenor wound out) pulls my 85kg ass around...his wont.

These quads use clutches at an alarming rate, and every say 5-6 rides i replace the clutch and every now and then, the drum also. i searched on eBay and bought 10 clutches for $50 delivered. They rev so hard the cheap clutches just melt.

apart from the clutch issue i haven't spent anything on them and for under 500 for 2 and 50 for a few spare clutches i think they were a good buy (2yrs old Chrissy just gone)

The kids love em and with my young fella getting more and more into it, weve just stripped his and giving it a "makeover" insaying this, he wont be riding it for much longer as he is wanting more and more power and speed (he is insane on this little thing lol)

Dont give up on the china stuff...most people hate it and there are some scary storys going around..BUT these toys (thats what they are) are only what you make them and for the $$ im certainly not complaining and will definately be buying the next size up for my kids as soon as they need it.

Couple of pics :-D
S5002069.jpg

DSCF0091.jpg

DSCF0156.jpg

And this is the clutch that encouraged us to give it a make over. Note: the shoe with no pad thats melted...lol and dont ask me where the 3rd spring is...lol all i can tell you is it was there when we put it together.
DSCF0067.jpg

Hey mate I have just bought an atv for my sons and I had to replace the clutch, I noticed there was a slot in the centre and also a slot on the shaft the clutch slides on, do I need a small piece of metal to go here? Or does it simply just dlide on? Thanks

Thanks does that mean u do not require the key for the clutch? There wasn't one on the bike

nah, they don't use one it's just the big flat washer and bolt.

Latest posts

Back