air intake snorkle

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes Supa cheap usually have a rack full of them. Most auto parts stores will let you have a look at the ones they have in stock but I hate talking to people in auto part stores.

I will look into the radiator tube thing for sure. Thanks.

man how clean is your bike man, it looks like brand new lolz,

That's not clean. Seriously. Dirt visible in lots of places in those pics. I have a pressure washer, but I rushed it last time.

On the topic of pressure washing, I can see these "don't spray" locations on my bike:
* head stem lower bearing (as for all bikes)
* throttle cable at either end (water would run into the carb)
* magneto wire exit (difficult to seal even with silicone).
* air filter has to be covered (as usual).
* shock and swing arm mounts/bearings.
* kill switch.
* exhaust muffler exit.
what else?

I dont know, I dont wash mine (however I do service it and it gats a clean air filter every time I ride)

can we get pics of the filter box made from the milk bottle. i would use this a lot because half the time where i ride it is wet and has puddles in places.

How about a bit of radiator hose. A template with some wire or crushed up foil (and masking tape) and a trip to Supa Cheap where you can rumage thru a big pile until you find one that is close (you may need to trim it to just get the bend you need).

I made up my mock pipe bend using alum foil and masking tape cover. Unreal idea! At lunch time I will hopefully find a radiator hose to suit from Super Cheap etc. It need only be about 25cm long, so it wont be very heavy either. :D Hope I can find a tube. The only downside might be a little bit of heat drifting up from the exhaust into the under seat cavity - maybe some heat shield material will help there.

Sounds good, post up a few pics as you put it together. I knew the foil and tape would work as I have made similar 3d templates before.

cass38a, All done. Thanks.

Radiator tube part: Falcon V8 (XD and XE) bottom hose. 45mm ID. 54mm OD. $19 from Auto-One.

OKO26 has a 48mm inlet, but the tube when cut at an angle fit over it no problem.

The air filter (chinese at present) fits over a 50mm tube but fit over the 54 by squashing the 54mm OD tube into it.

The ideal air filter will fit a 52mm tube. Uni filter = no probs.

The tube ID of 45mm is a little smaller than the carbie intake. But I reckon it'll be okay. Nice and smooth in there. No spring support. I am putting a bottom end cam in this bike, so no major breathing issues I hope via this mod.

Pics follow.

20080205-IMG_1319.jpg

20080205-IMG_1322.jpg

20080205-IMG_1339.jpg

Last edited:
And the final appearance ... Very happy!

Bring on the rain. Bring on the mud. Bring on the bike washing. Oh yeah. Looks heaps better than a dorky pod on the side too - which sticks out and oils your left boot too.

20080205-IMG_1330.jpg

20080205-IMG_1329.jpg

20080205-IMG_1331.jpg

20080205-IMG_1332.jpg

Last edited:
do you find that the air filter can get alot of dirt and much spinning into it from the rear wheel? or is it sealed nicely so that doesnt happen??

do you find that the air filter can get alot of dirt and much spinning into it from the rear wheel? or is it sealed nicely so that doesnt happen??

Sealed, actually protected from roost well enough. See the first two pics in the previous posting by me, also see my mudflap pics further back in this thread. ie.
http://www.miniriders.com.au/forum/tech-talk/15882-air-intake-snorkle.html#post148241

My mudflap went on before this bike had ever seen dirt, but you've just made me realise that the under seat air filter project would not work too well without the mudflap project. Otherwise the wheel would spew crap all over one side of the filter.

Come think of it, every stock pitbike to date with carb mounted filter and no mudflap, allows wheel roost to hit the airfilter. That happens on my daughter's Atomik 70cc. Crazy! :confused:

Last edited:
The fit up looks pretty neat (almost like a stock item) hopefully it wont be too painfull to clean your filter now.

top job mate.
radiator hose was the best idea. (i forget who came up with it)

as for people who want to make a quick cover to protect the airfilter from water splash/spray:

1- grab yourself a 600ml coke bottle.
2- cut the top of just below half was
3- now cut the top 4cm+ off (depend how big the intake is on your carby)
4- cut a 3 cm split down one side.
5- now slide the cover on with the slit facing backwards. it can still suck enough air in and keep the water out. if done correctly and measured to fit your carby/air filter it will be secure with nothing holding it on.

and thats it lol. quick and easy and works like a charm. i use to flog the shit out of my old bike filling it up with water every ride. then when i threw this coke bottle cover on i didnt get and water inside. until i rode through water about my seat :D

The fit up looks pretty neat (almost like a stock item) hopefully it wont be too painfull to clean your filter now.

Thanks for the praise.

Very easy to remove my seat. Two bolts. Just like on any MX bike. Then the filter is right there. In fact the filter should stay so much cleaner in muddy/wet conditions that I expect/hope I will need to clean it less. Far less. Also I've ordered extra unifilter pre-filters (outside cover foam elements), so I am thinking I will just remove/rotate those and clean the core foam element less and as required.

top job mate.
radiator hose was the best idea. (i forget who came up with it)

as for people who want to make a quick cover to protect the airfilter from water splash/spray:

Thanks BH#1. Cass38a had the hose idea. I thought about a "coke bottle" solution but the problem on my MSO is/was that with a carb mounted filter, about 1/3rd of the filter sticks out past the shape/form of the left side of the bike. That was with the filter hard up against the SS frame to engine mount (see first pic). With an extra cover then it'd protrude out even further. So when riding if I got a bit loose on the bike with my left leg, my boot/leg was all over the filter and could even rip it off. Also I like to wash my bike with my pressure washer (because I can and it is so fast), and having to cover the filter element for each wash is going to be a ripe pain. With the radiator hose I have no such problem. Which is why I took the top down view pic of my bike. It looks like a real MX bike now. No foam thing hanging out. This is only possible on a mini or midsize with the large cavity under the seat. Exhaust heat may be a problem in terms of warm air being near the filter, but a little heat shield will fix that.

Last edited:
Okay the "snorkle" stage 1 is a failure. Too much air flow restriction for the OKO26 carbie. Obviously there is a reason why big brand name production air box intake paths upstream of carbs are always so big. My tube was 45mm ID with a tight 60 deg bend.

Stage 2: Bigger tube/duct. Smoother bend. Carb intake is 52mm. Need be at least that big I guess. No hard bends either. I doubt I'll find a radiator host this large but I'll find something. eg. Enzed hoses or some kind of flexible yet smooth ducting pipe.

I tried the pipe in "the pits" with just the radiator and no air filter at all. With a full throttle blip it runs rich. No tube/duct and filter direct to t he carb and the engine runs great.

Well it was not a complete failure. The concept worked. I was immune to water puddle problems. Too bad anything more than 1/2 or 3/4 throttle and the engine coughed and carried on. :(

Last edited:
was praciticing drifting the other day and stacked it a few times and my air filter riped of, i tryed puting a air filter from my pocket bike but it konks out all the time, what i did was just stuck a vb can on the plastic thing thats on the air filter and cut a hole under it, il post a pik of it after lolz the first thing people notic is the vb can lolz

Your engine wont last 2 long with that "air Filter". A shroud like that around a actual air filter (with a suitable gap all the way around, say 10mm) would work though.

Perhaps a little alloy fabrication would make a trick cover.

Latest posts

Back