air intake snorkle

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

numroe

Reaction score
I am tired of having troubles crossing small creeks (6 to 8" deep over softish sand) where I cannot go fast or slow enough without bogging/sinking or drenching the air filter and stalling. Wet boots on my way to the MX track for my first session suxs big time! As does the thought of sucking grit into my engine. Even small mud puddles are giving me grief in terms of filter blockage. Riding fast in rain for more than 5 mins is simply not on. This issue costs me lot of fun! Surely some of you experience the same thing with all the east coast rain around lately?

So ... I am going to mount my pod air filter in the nice cavity under my MSO 140SR seat. Then run a suitable pipe/duct from it to my carb intake. Anyone else already done it?? I just need find a suitable light weight non-collapsing pipe/duct. Then it's a cable-tie job. Too easy. I am new to pitbikes, but this has to be an obvious mod for some people. Just like my rear shock mud/stone flap - a 20 min job and works great!

what I do and most guys do when there riding really wet tracks or crossings is to fashion up an slip on air filter airbox. What I use is an 375ml milk bottle , clean it out and cut the top of it so you have a even radius cup. I then cut a 3 mm slit into the corse end and heated the edges with a heat gun and folded that end down to have a smooth seam. Mark out some holes to drill with more holes being drilled on the side of the box where the filter goes up close to the frame. Drill some holes in the end and about 8 holes on the exposed side. The box should have a firm fit on the air filter and can be customised using a heat gun to mould the plastic to the shape of the filter.

Re routing your filter under the seat is not an option for me as there is no space so I used an airbox

I got a K&N air filter and it says its water proof, for marine use and motorbikes. So it must be water proof.

Havnt tried wetting it though.

Thanks fellas. Interesting ideas. I'm a bit skeptical about any foam filter being water proof. If air can be sucked in then why not water. Liquids and gas are both fluids. Maybe K&N mean something else. The milk bottle concept is a beauty. I wish I learned that sooner. For me with the large under seat (mid-size bike) cavity I think a remounting of filter to there is the ideal solution. Assuming I can find a suitable lightweight, non-collapsing and ideally smoothish inner surfaced pipe. Maybe I heat gun bend some kind of smooth polypropalene tube. Dunno. Ideas anyone?

Extending the intake would decrease performance but i doubt it would be noticable, last time i rode i went through the tiniest puddle and the filter got wet, bike conked out after around 4 minutes of riding.. was so pissed off. Still a great option for wet weather rides!

hay unit mx, can you post a picture for us,

How about a bit of radiator hose. A template with some wire or crushed up foil (and masking tape) and a trip to Supa Cheap where you can rumage thru a big pile until you find one that is close (you may need to trim it to just get the bend you need).

hey numroe what did u use for ur stone/mud flap? i really want one to protect the fastace

I would imagine you could get a gumboot, cut a rubber strip off it to the size you wont. Get a piece of aluminium or mild steel of the same width and about 12-13mm high, 2-3mm thick.

Unscrew the 2 screws at the back of your seat, and put the metal strip up against them, mark where the holes need to go. Drill them out, then mark them up with he top of your rubber strip. Drill/punch them out.

Put your rubber strip on, then the metal, then screw it all up. Not sure if bolts/screws would reach through it all. If you use mild steel would only need to be a thin peice like 1mm thick, as long as it can apply even pressure and not bend.

Actually rubber have no idea if that would work, it was the first thing that came to my head.

How about a bit of radiator hose. A template with some wire or crushed up foil (and masking tape) and a trip to Supa Cheap where you can rumage thru a big pile until you find one that is close (you may need to trim it to just get the bend you need).

Best idea yet. Nice smooth airflow. Do Super Cheap (and the like) have "big piles" of em? Maybe a tad heavy. But thanks!

btw: I'm a sucker for light bikes - being 3/4 of the reason why I bought a mini (well a mid sized mini). Kinda like riding a small horse as opposed to a raging bull on the edge of a tantrum. I am no horse rider (too much damn maintenance) but I'd imagine a small horse can be muscled into submission, where as I've seen some bulls and I'd never go near the beasts.

hey numroe what did u use for ur stone/mud flap? i really want one to protect the fastace

Ah you'll kick yourself when you see how simple my mudflap is. I was so chuffed with myself after I did it - because I hate seeing my shock get trashed. Unlike a million other mini riders I seem to be the only one who rides in normal dirt/sand/mud/rocks and so on. People don't even see the flap when they look at my bike. It kinda looks normal. No kidding a 15 minute job tops:

1) Found a polyprop plastic box with lid.
2) Cut a nice rectangular piece out of the lid using tin snips.
3) Attached it to the shock using bungy cord, so the top edge tucks under the fwd end of the rear guard.
4) I cracked the plastic while snipping so I used some good sticky back cloth (like thin+sticky gaffa tape) to repair the crack.

I will go take a photo of it right now and add it ...

Okay a teaser for starters (cropped my my avatar pic):
mso-flap1.jpg

Last edited:
whats polyprop

sorry, polypropalene plastic. Just real common type plastic like what is in ice cream containers or school chairs, children's out doors furniture and ... storage boxes!

MSO SR mudflap photos:

See the worn off anodising on the edges of the rims ... a result of just a little riding in sandy dirt for 1 hr. Very abrasive stuff! Oh yeah and a few tyre lever marks. Had the rubber off that rim 3 times already.
20080130-IMG_1303.jpg

Yeah new rear tyre. Ready to chuck some big rocks at my mates. Pirelli Scorpion MX medium (wide terrain tyre).

No crud hitting that shock. It was very messy under that rear fender during the last ride.
20080130-IMG_1301.jpg

Looks like I need to top up that rear brake fluid. Interesting.

Plenty of crap been hurled at it from this side! See how the upper edge tucks behind the fwd edge of the white fender. No gap for crud. As the suspension compresses the flap just pokes/slides further down toward the ground over the lower shock mount alloy.
20080130-IMG_1300.jpg

And the cannibalized box lid ...
20080130-IMG_1305.jpg

Damn, I see my car rego and insurance is due soon.

Last edited:
Sweet mum just bought me 3 of these to put stuff in out of the tv cabnet, ill get onto it tomorrow.

Best idea yet. Nice smooth airflow. Do Super Cheap (and the like) have "big piles" of em? Maybe a tad heavy. But thanks!

btw: I'm a sucker for light bikes - being 3/4 of the reason why I bought a mini (well a mid sized mini). Kinda like riding a small horse as opposed to a raging bull on the edge of a tantrum. I am no horse rider (too much damn maintenance) but I'd imagine a small horse can be muscled into submission, where as I've seen some bulls and I'd never go near the beasts.

Yes Supa cheap usually have a rack full of them. Most auto parts stores will let you have a look at the ones they have in stock but I hate talking to people in auto part stores.

Another idea would be to make a suitable template and get a peice of alloy tube bent this would have the added benifit of being the same size as your carby so the air filter would fit easy. Attach it to the carby with a short piece of radiator hose and worm clamps.

As far as weight is concernd I wouldnt worry too much about the weight of a radiator hose. Go for a run and knock 250grams of pudding off your mid section and you get the same weight saving but improve your centre of gravity.

man how clean is your bike man, it looks like brand new lolz, good idea but a,
somebody post some pictures of there homemade air intake box man lolz somebody enybody lolz

Latest posts

Back