automatic timing chain tensioner YX160

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gazza2003au

Reaction score
just wondering where can i find one of the automatic spring loaded timing chain tensioner's and a timing chain for the YX160 engine im fixing my nephews bike for him and i noticed a rattling noise so i checked a few things and found the tensioner had only 2-3 clicks left before maxing out in length
i have looked on the DHZ web site and could not find either item

cheers

YX & ZS 150/155/160 Timing chain Tensioner - Pit Bike Engine Parts - Parts & Kits ZS 155cc & YX160 - YX & ZS 150/155/160 Timing chain Tensioner - TBolt USA, LLC

are you sure the rattle is not your rockers?? maybe your valves need properly adjusting

i checked the valves a couple of days ago both were tight i looked on MR for the specs and set them according i have only ever heard a loose timing chain twice first time was on my DRZ400 second time was a few days ago on my cousins GSXR600 both had manual cam chain tensioners the noise on this YX160 engine sounds simular but more like a marble in a can that lead me to check the timing chain and tensioner when i removed the tensioner this morning it only had 2 or 3 clicks before reaching its maximum length there are about 20 clicks/teeth on the automatic tensioner i reinstalled this and kicked the motor over a few times to recheck the tensioner this time the tensioner moved 15mm of 20mm maximum travel i think if i started the engine it would have stretched the chain and given the same results 2 or 3 clicks off being maxed out

Im not sure how common it is for the cam chains to go on these as I have not had my bike for very long. Contact ken at DHZ and he will be able to set you up with one for sure. Not sure when he opens back up.
The cam chain adjusters do click in a fair way even on new bikes but im not sure they they click that far in.
I just suggested valves because they are very temprimental and the slightes bit lose and they can give a decent rattle.

cheers mate i called a few of the DHZ dealers most didnt answer there phones so i called the another one who did answer the bloke said hes not sure if the YX160 is compatible with the Z160 mengine as thats all they have parts for

yeah mate just ring ken from dhz direct... zonger and yx chains and tensioners are compatible... check your chain rails out too

yeah mate just ring ken from dhz direct... zonger and yx chains and tensioners are compatible... check your chain rails out too

how would i remove the rails? im assuming this is inside of the cylinder? i will set up a light out in my shed soon and tear it apart i think the engine has high hours on it by the looks of the condition its in

the head needs to come off to access the bottom rail, and the stator plate needs to be removed to access the top... there is a bolt holding the top one on, be sure not to over tighten it or the cases will more than likely crack around the hole...

i pulled the stator off but the plate behind it with the 2 screws is being a ***** to remove one of the screws has been stripped how would i go about removing it? last option would be to drill it

cheers

an impact driver will be your best friend :) think there 15 bucks from super cheap...

BUT if you do drill them, when you have drilled the heads out the magneto plate will pop off, and then the bolts should be finger tight.. i diddnt beleive it when i heard it untill i tried it lol

use a punch with a little bit smaller diameter than the head of the screw and hit the head of the screw a few times and that should loosen it..

Pretty rare for the silent-type chain to stretch that far. Wait till you get the stator plate off and take a pic of the chain angle. As long as there's any clicks left, the tensioner should be fine. Zonger chain is the same, so no need to source from the T-Bag. AU ought to have a few around.

Drill the buggered screw out, so as not to waste time, or be tempted to put it back in. lol

If nervous aboot the automatic nature, you can buy a fancy billet manual tensioner, or do it like the old FP does:

111209025.jpg

this little motor is my first 4 stroke tear down and its going smooth so far but there seems to be a lot of oil on top of the piston and head?

an impact driver will be your best friend think there 15 bucks from super cheap...
i tried looking for one as i remember seeing one of these tools being used on foxtel fixing a car i looked on super cheaps web site and couldnt find it

use a punch with a little bit smaller diameter than the head of the screw and hit the head of the screw a few times and that should loosen it..
that screw was a ***** to try undo but using your method all though i only had a long bolt i hit the screw head a few times than it undone very easy :) thanks

Pretty rare for the silent-type chain to stretch that far. Wait till you get the stator plate off and take a pic of the chain angle. As long as there's any clicks left, the tensioner should be fine. Zonger chain is the same, so no need to source from the T-Bag. AU ought to have a few around.

Drill the buggered screw out, so as not to waste time, or be tempted to put it back in. lol

If nervous aboot the automatic nature, you can buy a fancy billet manual tensioner, or do it like the old FP does:
the bike has alot of hours on it and its been flogged to the .... house with kids doubling kids on it the problem im thinking is the less pressure from the tensioner as it was almost maxed out the father the rod extends the less pressure from the spring well thats what i think im probably wrong lol

Last edited:
i cant seem to edit post so i will make another reply here as i forgot to mention the mixture screw on the carby was screwed all the way in when i received the bike the other day could this be the cause of the excess oil in the cylinder?
EDIT: just called DHZ they dont have a cam chain and they dont have exhaust valves so im ****ed

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back